PDA

View Full Version : Facelift UK to pre-facelift JDM taillights

gcon45
09-11-2010, 04:20 PM
After spending quite a bit of time (and money) I've finally switched my taillights.

I ended up buying a complete new set from Honda.

I felt that the facelift lights looked lost between the new formula red paintwork on the back of the car and that the darker pre-facelift lights look much better.

Comments welcome! :)

Before:

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6146/p1020993z.jpg

After:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4887/p1030228.jpg

jaytip
09-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Sorry,facelift everytime for me.

gcon45
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I suppose the world would be a boring place if we were all the same Jay! :)

JQD84983
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry,facelift everytime for me.

Sorry I am with Ivor too. Look a bit old fashioned for me. Sorry.

gcon45
09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Interesting.

Both replies from previous and current facelift owners (respectively).

Well why don't I fit a set of pop ups and be done with it? :)

britlude
09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
i get what you've done, wanted to define the lights from the body colour... it's worked, and looks good, never have liked the egg-yolk lights myself...

and anyway, 1. it's your car so you can do what you like, and 2. its hardly an irreversable modification!!!

Sudesh
09-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Any more pics Conor?

gcon45
09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
i get what you've done, wanted to define the lights from the body colour... it's worked, and looks good, never have liked the egg-yolk lights myself...

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve Jonathan and I'm over the moon with the result :)

Not a fan of the egg yolk indicators either.
There's something very Peugeot about them (in my eyes).

The invisible indicators on the pre-facelift lights are cool :cool:

gcon45
09-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Any more pics Conor?

I haven't had the chance to take any proper pics yet Sudesh.

I'll hopefully get time for a wash and wax at the weekend along with some good pictures.

Senninha
09-11-2010, 09:52 PM
It works for me and I think it 'slims' down the rear view of the NSX :thumbsup:

It the reverse of what i've done where the darker early lights were lost on the back of my NSX so I swapped to the 02+ lighter finish.

regards, Paul

Justin
09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Conor - I can see why you're against the fried eggs, my personal preference would prolly come down against them. However, with a facelift car I'd have stuck with them... for me this mod makes the car fall between two stools. That said, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment above that it's your car, and your eyes are the only ones that need to behold its beauty.

Anyway, despite my qualms over messing with the facelift balance front/rear, one thing I am completely loving is that you went JDM to get symmetry. It's the only thing I hate on my car - the asymmetrical fog/reverse set up (mind you, I get pretty close to being Dustin Hoffman's Rain Man on these things, so perhaps praise from me is a bad thing!!)

Can't wait to see this in the flesh sometime soon :-)

britlude
09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
It's the only thing I hate on my car - the asymmetrical fog/reverse set up (mind you, I get pretty close to being Dustin Hoffman's Rain Man on these things, so perhaps praise from me is a bad thing!!)

you would HATE my girlfriends 2003 Nissan Cube then!!!!!

Hagasan
09-11-2010, 10:32 PM

and anyway, 1. it's your car so you can do what you like, and 2. its hardly an irreversable modification!!!

Quite, I've done things to my car that others probably wouldn't agree with however(that's modifications to word more accurately:no:)........I wouldn't have sold my lights (as I think you did on Prime) as I and probably anyone else should you decide to sell it, woud want the correct ones with the car. Plus the steering wheel :)

I think in your picture with the car in the shade, the darker red of the car blends well with the darker lights. Each to there own though. I have a pop-up with the 02 lights!! Along with rear valance & side skirts, wheels etc etc. All OEM.

Gary

Justin
09-11-2010, 10:34 PM
you would HATE my girlfriends 2003 Nissan Cube then!!!!!

"If the syrup is on the table after the pancakes, then it will definitely be too late."

Oh-oh...

m666 edd
10-11-2010, 12:28 PM
If I were doing any 02+ updates the rear lights would be one of the things I wouldn't change. Although might replace for pre facelift jdm spec instead of the UK ones.

My car is black though.

gcon45
10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
My car is black though.

The bright red facelift taillights look superb against black and LBB in my eyes.

It's the contrast :)

Sudesh
10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I am completely loving is that you went JDM to get symmetry. It's the only thing I hate on my car - the asymmetrical fog/reverse set up

You dont have to go to expense of buying all new tail lights to get the JDM look of having 2 clear reverse lights.

UK/JDM and Europe all share the same color of lense.

Europe is swapped in the sense they have the fog on left and reverse on the right! So all you would have to do is buy 1 new/used right side euro tail light and that will give you the same look as JDM, pop in a red bulb and thats you, job done!

Or you could do the same conversion as I do for JDM cars and you can swap between having dual reverse lights and a fog light, for that all important mot ;) I keep mine as dual reverse pretty much all the time, infact only time the red bulb is installed, is on mot day.

Sudesh
10-11-2010, 12:52 PM
The bright red facelift taillights look superb against black and LBB in my eyes.

It's the contrast :)

Your missing the final piece of the puzzle!!

3rd brake light is not the same color as the tail light lol;)

gcon45
10-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Your missing the final piece of the puzzle!!

3rd brake light is not the same color as the tail light lol;)

Well the 3rd brake light is the same red as the reflectors in the corners so it's a nice mixture of reds! :laugh:

Dragonlady
10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll keep it simple..........I like.

Ian

TheSebringOne
11-11-2010, 11:02 PM
As JC would say " I like it ". I have thought about going 02+ in the past, but resisted as wanted the car OEM.

Justin
12-11-2010, 08:42 AM
As JC would say " I like it ". I have thought about going 02+ in the past, but resisted as wanted the car OEM.

That's my dilemma too - want to change some stuff, but want to stay oem in the looks...

Hagasan
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
That's my dilemma too - want to change some stuff, but want to stay oem in the looks...

Just throwing this in as a "pedant" but updating the lights is still OEM :) Even though I mod my car a lot of my changes are still in keeping with original NSX items, just later ones like the rear lights, rear valence, side skirts, brakes etc. Still all genuine OEM parts....

Justin
12-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Just throwing this in as a "pedant" but updating the lights is still OEM :) Even though I mod my car a lot of my changes are still in keeping with original NSX items, just later ones line the rear lights, rear valence, side skirts, brakes etc. Still all genuine OEM parts....

Yeah, I shoul have prolly rephrased the earlier use of "OEM", what I mean is that I want to keep the car more-or-less stock.

I'll codify this soon, but I think it means, for me, no invasive or permanent changes, no big cosmetic changes, etc. I'm not for a moment criticising bigger mods - I love the look of many modded cars, both here and on prime, and I know that P27 has had a procar spoiler etc in it's time... I just think I'll stay conservative this time round and keep the car as it was when featured in the mags etc.

But I reserve the right to completely change my mind on this ;)

AR
12-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Is all up to the person end of the day. In an ideal world we will all be able to have several NSX. :)

I would like an 02 plus targa, auto for cruising and my CTSC bruiser for bruising.

dan the man
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
i like it!

suits with the red

gumball
08-12-2010, 09:33 AM
I like it, that dark loop of lights are the first thing I noticed when the NSX first appeared, they went all wishy washy and broken up in latter cars.

wantansx
11-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Hmmm it actually works!!