PDA

View Full Version : NSX in need of TLC

trisnsx
14-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Does anybody have a restoration project on the go that they may part with? Ideally not crash damaged and with a good engine. I have always wanted an NSX but they are still out my price range with a house move the priority. If there was one that needs work so the pricetag is more affordable I would be more than happy to garage it and work at restoring one.

I currently have a CRX that I have restored that will be in next month's Practical Performance car and in an issue of Japanese Performance in the new year with a comparison feature against the new CR-Z :thumbsup:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/tristan1881/crx/White%20VT%20restoration%20project/crxphotos017.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/tristan1881/crx/White%20VT%20restoration%20project/shoot1.jpg

Justin
14-11-2010, 11:37 PM
The little machine's looking good... what's happening where the +2 seat should be?

Justin
14-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Have just read your OP more fully - comparison with the crz sounds really good, as it's a natural question given the aesthetic carry-over.

Would love to see a comparison against current Civic Type-R, etc... It's really amazing how much hotter hot hatches have got in the last 10-15 years, something which has many pros and many cons!

Hagasan
15-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Does anybody have a restoration project on the go that they may part with? Ideally not crash damaged and with a good engine. I have always wanted an NSX but they are still out my price range with a house move the priority. If there was one that needs work so the pricetag is more affordable I would be more than happy to garage it and work at restoring one.

I currently have a CRX that I have restored that will be in next month's Practical Performance car and in an issue of Japanese Performance in the new year with a comparison feature against the new CR-Z :thumbsup:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/tristan1881/crx/White%20VT%20restoration%20project/crxphotos017.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/tristan1881/crx/White%20VT%20restoration%20project/shoot1.jpg

There was the guy up in the north east who has the silver car. It's had a bump and was apparently not brilliantly repaired but before hand was a well cared for motor. It was on pistonheads for a while. YOu'd get it for about £9k. Would need some parts adding to bring it back. I think I have his contact details somewhere if you want them...

Sudesh
15-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Hi,

First thing, What is your price range roughly?

If its less than £10k/12k [and those are hard to find if not almost impossible] then personally I dont think your going to find a restoration project NSX that hasnt been accident damage.

I have seen salvage cars sell between £5k and £10k here in the UK.

Cheapest on the road [but previously damaged] NSX I seen was the one Hagasan mentioned. The owner said it need some work but again, I wouldnt have called it a restoration project, needed some TLC.

Which leeds me to the next question, what stage or restoration are you thinking about or what have you in mind? Is your end goal to keep the car or try and sell it on after?

trisnsx
15-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Intention would be to keep it. Below 10K is the budget as well. I know it is optimistic but I would imagine there is some out there

trisnsx
15-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Many thanks Hagasan I have sent you a message.

AR
16-11-2010, 10:18 PM
CRX looks good. Just a quick comment. A 10K NSX restoration WILL quickly turn into a 15 -20 NSX. At this point you got to ask is it really worth it??? Just my .2p.

Nick Graves
17-11-2010, 08:12 PM
That is a lovely example of a CRX.

They ought to wait 'til the CRZ gets its Li-ion batteries; it'll then give your little car a FAR harder time of it!

I can see the fun in the CRX rebuild; the NSX is full of boxes of FREDs, which can be expensive if you cannot repair them. Minor parts are hideously expensive compered to Civs.

I suppose the problem is, the NSX isn't a bucket of rot, like the Civs. So it's only likely to be a bananad shell that writes one off, unless you're fortunate to find one that's just a tatty mess. Then, it is ally, so even a proper stripping etching, priming & respray can be a bit involved.

I say this so you can see why your credit card will end up bleeding, rather than to put you off.

If you're still mad, er, keen enough to proceed, best of luck & have fun.

Nick Graves
17-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Here, have a play ('borrow' an NSX registration!) and look up some parts prices, for a laugh!

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_catalogue_C01.php

Senninha
17-11-2010, 08:23 PM
TrisNSX,

Drop a PM to member Brettwood. He has a NSX for sale for your budget. Its the car mentioned above that has a well documented service history and I believe is still mechanically sound (but do do the right checks).

2 owners ago it was very well loved. Next owner over estimated his ability to control a mid engined supercar on wet roads and parked against a telegraph pole IIRC. Current owner has rebuilt it. Its from this point that you could invest your own time to finish off the rebuild to the right standards etc etc.

Hope this helps and I share this info on one condition .... if you do buy then may I please purchase the breif case that will come with the sale of this NSX - Thank you

Good Luck

Paul

racer98
20-11-2010, 10:24 PM
OP, if you're going to be building a car or want a project, I would heed warnings of many others who have ventured down this road, save up and buy a finished car or venture into japan and pick up a used NSX, wont have the tax'es or the MOT items that are needed in the UK for road use but it would be a good start to at least get one and use it for the track :).

I have ventured down the *** classic car restoration and it can get expensive unless you have 2 or 3 donor cars to take parts from and put it all back together. The car I had 72 Nissan KEN&Merry (KGC110) 2dr GT-R look. Funny enough some one who works for Honda MFG bought it, that is as much as I can say. :).

btw theres a NA1 NSX type R up for sale if anyone is looking for one :).