PDA

View Full Version : GroupBuy: NSX Blank Metal Key

NSX R-GT
28-11-2010, 06:47 PM
hi
i am in Japan right now, and my Dealer has a few of these instock!
if you guys are interested, i can make a group buy and ship it to one of you so you guys can arrange pick up from him!
price is £80 and i need minimum 5 orders!

let me know what else you guys want, i can get Japan Honda parts and Route-KS stuff!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/Rusted_nailz/IMG_2551.jpg

TheSebringOne
29-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Very desireable, but not sure about £80 each? Having said that, its reasonable compared to those seats!

I wonder if they have a chip in them like the standard key or does the standard key not have a chip in them?

havoc
29-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Very desireable, but not sure about £80 each? Having said that, its reasonable compared to those seats!

I wonder if they have a chip in them like the standard key or does the standard key not have a chip in them?

:hehe:

Standard key (certainly on the 3.0 OBD-I car) doesn't have a chip. Not sure about the 3.2s...

I'd like one of those, but like you I'm really not sure about £80...

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 11:37 AM

No chip in these keys!

They are about £57 plus postage from Dali, there wont be any import tax either.

nobby
29-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I got mine from SOS when i needed to purchase the Double Din assembly they make so threw in the key as part of the order. IS it worth it ... heart of hearts NO but its a VERY NICE key! good weight etc and works well with the car in terms of a 'nice touch'. When getting it cut, the guy commented on how good it was.

but alot of doe ... it alls depends on your outlook of ownership. If you have never seen one (up close and held it) you would think nahh too expensive, but when you do see one you sort of go 'I like that!' ... which happened to me (sucker) :(

its a nice touch ... the value that Sudesh quoted makes more sense than this price though

Standard key (certainly on the 3.0 OBD-I car) doesn't have a chip. Not sure about the 3.2s...

Justin
29-11-2010, 01:14 PM

3.2s are chipped... which I've always assumed is also what the green "key" light in the dash signifies, but maybe someone knows more?

If I spent £80 on a blank car key, it would also need to unlock a cute little box containing exactly £79.01.

NoelWatson
29-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Can someone explain how the special red key fits into this that came with the NSX (master key?)

Boomin33
29-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I pay the £60 London parking ticket(s) when I get them... or forget to and pay £120 after 14 days...

I'm happy to go out to dinner and spend £20 at the bar on a few drinks and then another £80 at the table for 2 people...

...But a pretty darn cool titanium key that will last the lifetime of the car and feel great every time I put the key in the ignition... Rip-off city!!!
I'm putting my footdown on this one and saying "No" - Stop the madness.

*i've got one with the 300zx I bought... it's really nice. :)

gcon45
29-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I'd love one of these but alas, I'm chipped...

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Can someone explain how the special red key fits into this that came with the NSX (master key?)

Fits into what?

NoelWatson
29-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Fits into what?

The grand scheme of things!

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Based on pre-chip/immobiliser keys which is 3.0 models

In the UK you should have 2 keys,

1. master key [black mold]
2. valet key [grey mold]

Master key works with

Ignition
Door Locks
Boot
Glovebox

Valet key only works

Ignition
Door locks

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

In the US and Japan they got 3 Keys. [maybe some of europe too]

1. The titanium style Key [Master]
2. Black Mold [master]
3. Grey Mold [Valet]

The Valet Key differs in shape between Japan and US

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Based on Chip/immobiliser keys for the UK 3.2+

You should have 2 keys

1. Black Key [Main]
2. Grey Key [sub valet]

Kaz-kzukNA1
29-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Bit off the Opening Post (OP) but since being asked some questions, followings are the information for JDM.

The chipped immobiliser key for JDM NSX was only introduced from Oct/03 models. Therefore, there are 3.2 models WITHOUT the chipped immobiliser system.

The colour of valet key was changed at some point when the part no was superseded. Originally, it was black. Then, it changed to grey.

As far as I know, all JDM NSX will come with 4 keys.
Without the chipped immobiliser system;
1 x Master titanium like key
2 x Master black mold key
1 x Black Valet key

With the chipped immobiliser system;
1 x Master chipped Thick key
2 x Master chipped Thinner key
1 x Grey Valet chipped key
[EDIT: 1 x Key No. Plate]

Addition to these, for the chipped immobiliser system, you will get RED cased key as follows;

This is called the ‘Learning key’.

Honda has applied for the patent to improve the immobiliser system by adding extra protocol and making it difficult to register new keys.

In order to add/replace new keys without re-programming the ECU, you must have the ‘Learning Key’ and at least one of the Master chipped key.

Kaz

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Are you sure it was 4 keys?

I only got 3 and my JDM Hand manual also shows 3 keys?

Bit off the Opening Post (OP) but since being asked some questions, followings are the information for JDM.

As far as I know, all JDM NSX will come with 4 keys.
Without the chipped immobiliser system;
1 x Master titanium like key
2 x Master black mold key
1 x Black Valet key

NSXGB
29-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I got two black plastic Keys & two plain metal valet keys with my NA1.

I like the look of the 'Titanium' key but not for £80...

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I got two black plastic Keys & two plain metal valet keys with my NA1.

I like the look of the 'Titanium' key but not for £80...

When you say plastic key do you mean the whole key is plastic!

NSXGB
29-11-2010, 08:05 PM
When you say plastic key do you mean the whole key is plastic!

Noooo, just the top.

gcon45
29-11-2010, 10:26 PM

The chipped immobiliser key for JDM NSX was only introduced from Oct/03 models. Therefore, there are 3.2 models WITHOUT the chipped immobiliser system.

That's great news Kaz!

My car was manufactured 04/02.

Early Christmas present to myself :)

Sudesh
29-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Thats for JDM spec that Kaz was talking about!

[/FONT]

That's great news Kaz!

My car was manufactured 04/02.

Early Christmas present to myself :)

gcon45
29-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Booooo...

I can read. Honestly your honour! 

NSX R-GT
30-11-2010, 02:04 AM
i love to offer a better price for you guys too, but the Yen price is pretty crazy now, and the Pound are not doing so well... so the 65pound is not gonna happen anymore, not even Dali can do the same price anymore!

this is more like a collector piece, i bought 2 myself, 1 to use and the other one just leave it uncut for my collection!!!

AR
30-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Please also note that you CAN'T start the engine with the RED Learning key so don't try it because of the above reason.

Kaz

The question is how long someone decides to give it a go to see what happens...wait for a PM or post on technical Kaz. :)

Cheers,

AR

Kaz-kzukNA1
30-11-2010, 09:17 AM
I better stop writing to this post and remove the technical bits then....

Kaz

AR
30-11-2010, 09:22 AM
You know curiosity killed the cat...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-pictures-cat-forgot-the-key-to-his-house.jpg

markc
30-11-2010, 09:49 AM

I use the "Titanium" key with my JDM ('97 Type S) car all the time :)

It does indeed feel a little special to hold but it 'aint Titanium, waaaay too heavy for that. A plain old brass alloy methinks, although of course it's known as "Unobtanium" in NSX circles to help us justify the price.

Cheers

Mark

AR
30-11-2010, 10:03 AM
I think the correct name of the alloy is "monel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monel

Better to get it cut by Honda when ordering it with a chassis number as is hard to cut.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
30-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Booooo...

I can read. Honestly your honour! 

I think basically Conor that if an NSX has the little green key symbol up on the right cornor of the dash, then you have the chip/immobiliser setup.

gcon45
30-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I think basically Conor that if an NSX has the little green key symbol up on the right cornor of the dash, then you have the chip/immobiliser setup.

Yep - definitely have the green key light.

Oh well...