PDA

View Full Version : Digital radio

c11nky
03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Has anyone tried fitting a Pure digital radio receiver?

I'm interested in the one with its own ariel that transmits to the original radio within the car.

I bought a Belkin transmitter thingy a few years ago so I could play my Archos, but because the engine is between the front seat and the car ariel, the intereference made it completely unworkable so I decided to listen to the engine instead.

I'm reluctant to spend any more money on something that's not going to work.

Nick Graves
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Those nasty windscreen jobbies are a CWOT.

There is a far nicer glovebox instal with a converter for the OEM analogue twig, which works perfectly on mine.

If you do a search, I think I did a linky to the units (they were on special offer) not all than long ago.

http://nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?8283-Special-offer-on-DAB&highlight=

c11nky
03-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for this Nick.

I did do a complete search of all the forums before posting, but for some reason it couldn't find 'DAB' or 'digital radio'.
Maybe I was spelling it wrong.

Anyway, this looks exactly what I'm looking for. And it looks like it's come down in price a bit too, they're selling one for £29.99 without an ariel. At that price I might as well get one for the CRV too!

nakamichi
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I had a Pure digital receiver on my last car.In my opinion,they are a waste of time.You still get the same reception problems you get with FM radio,obviously depending on where in the country you are.
I could be outside my house and get perfect reception on all available stations,then drive half a mile down the road and lose half of them.

nobby
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
waste of time! a DAB tuner was installed on my car prior to ownership and i thought it was terrible. it had a dedicated areial put on the car as well. had same issues as Nakamichi as well ... not worth the hassle/effort mate. the whole setup was ripped out pretty sharpish in my car as it was an awful sight both internally and externally.

save your cash on something more worthwhile for your car

Nick Graves
06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for this Nick.

I did do a complete search of all the forums before posting, but for some reason it couldn't find 'DAB' or 'digital radio'.
Maybe I was spelling it wrong.

Anyway, this looks exactly what I'm looking for. And it looks like it's come down in price a bit too, they're selling one for £29.99 without an ariel. At that price I might as well get one for the CRV too!

Maybe search is just not fully working yet.

One word of warning with the CofE; if it's got a beesting twig, it will ba amplified and the little converter won't work with those.

For the S2000, I got a rooftop-mount powered twig (slightly longer than the OEM beesting) and lost the OEM component. Despite being rear wing mounted, reception is superb.

IIRC, the CR-V's twig IS roof-mounted, so you'll just have an added complication of getting out the headlining to swap it over.

Bloomice BM-02018 - DAB/FM/AM kit
Bloomice BM-02018 DAB/FM/AM car aerial.
Instructions.
5 metre approx low-loss DAB cable
5 Metre approx low-loss FM/AM cable
FREE DIN to ISO aerial connector
FREE Fast Royal Mail First Class Delivery.
FREE 45 days Buy & Try.
£64.99 DAB/FM/AM kit

Nick Graves
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
I had a Pure digital receiver on my last car.In my opinion,they are a waste of time.You still get the same reception problems you get with FM radio,obviously depending on where in the country you are.
I could be outside my house and get perfect reception on all available stations,then drive half a mile down the road and lose half of them.

When I did the S2000 (it has a Sony DAB HU now) it couldn't find sh it in my garage. Not encouraging.

I drove to a high point on near Ware & tried again and it found all of the stations. Having found them, it is able to lock on inside the garage, with the door closed! It's weird, this DAB stuff.

Hertford is a notoriously crap area for radio reception, yet with the NSX I only get a little bubbling mud right in the town centre.

That's why I say get a powered aeriel & the biggest one you can find. Ones glued on the inside of the glass are a CWOT.

The Prelude has one of those annoying heated rear window aeriels and I've not found a solution for that yet. I have heard that a twig mounted horizontally under the rear bumper can work, despite breaking sooooo many dipole rules...

c11nky
08-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses here, they're really appreciated.
I think I'll try to use the original ariel first and see how I get on. It can be changed later if that's what's required.

As soon as the car defrosts...

timhope
22-07-2011, 08:46 AM
I would also like to see how this is done, if you could post any pictures or a guide of what you did that would be much appreciated.

c11nky
22-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I've been a bit distracted since I posted this. The Management has realigned my priorities so I've been squandering time redecorating and fixing all the dangerous stuff below about 2 feet.
I don't know why she's bothered, it won't be walking for long time.
Hopefully I'll have a bit of spare time while I'm off for a month in September, but expect baby photos before I get the chance to do car photos!

If anyone would like to practice, I'd be quite happy to supply the car and necessary hardware AND take the photos.
Oh what the hell, I'll even throw in a few beers!

...actually, if anyone wants to practice changing nappies, I'll gladly throw in a chemical hazard suit and danger money!

Nick Graves
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
There's really nothing to see; here's my test-startup:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/BlackS2K/2010-06-16002.jpg

You can see the blue-faced controller already mounted in the glovebox (on the floor). There is the black, square brain box which I eventially velcrod on top of all the other FRED boxes in the footwell and a tiny aeriel converter box, which interrupts to coax into the back of the headset and is itself stuffed under a bulge in the carpet below the centre console.

You'll need to tap into the permanent live & switched live supplies in the fuse box in the passenger kickplate.

One of them doesn't work unless you put in fuse 17 (or 18? - Sudesh kindly told me but I'm stupid) in the engine bay fuse box. But I found another in the spare connector (NOT the CANbus +ve, which is far too feeble) under the FRED boxes instead.

The centre console only needs to come out to (clean the fan & to) get to the aeriel coax, otherwise it's all behind the glovebox/kickplate really & once you've got your head around the principle, it's a -ve, two +ves for the controller, 1 for the aeriel decoder & the coax interrupt.

Even that bloody animated meerkat could do it...

Nick Graves
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
One thing; obviously any in-line fuses ought to be placed as close to the tap-in of the NSX's circuits as possible, so that as much of your dodgy wiring is protected as possible...

sukjitrana@hotmail.com
16-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi there guys not sure if your interested i have managed to source a double din centre console for right hand drive nsx im getting a new app radio which is going to be released this month by pioneer

NSXGB
16-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi there guys not sure if your interested i have managed to source a double din centre console for right hand drive nsx im getting a new app radio which is going to be released this month by pioneer

Yes, I'm interested in the console, please supply more details....

NSX 2000
17-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Yes, I'm interested in the console, please supply more details....

I'm intrested as well.

Sudesh
17-08-2011, 10:08 AM

The console in that pic, looks like an OEM one thats just been cut! It also isnt a great fit for double din as the top left and right corners are still shaped for the OEM radio buttons, so if you add a double din it wont fit nice and snug or have that factory fit look, infact you can see this from the way the radio cage is sitting behind that console in that pic!

What price are these console and where is the source your getting them from?

NSXGB
17-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Saw that Sudesh. Would need tidying as you point out, better than the Da*i rubbish I bought before!
Apparently that is from a dealer in Japan.

Sudesh
17-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Saw that Sudesh. Would need tidying as you point out, better than the Da*i rubbish I bought before!
Apparently that is from a dealer in Japan.

Yip! and its not to buy outright, its on a core exchange basis, so you would have to return your own one.

So basically you are no further forward as in keeping your original but also having a double din, may as well modify your own.

NSXGB
17-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I've already been informed that too sudesh :)
When I first saw the post I thought he was selling his console and getting another, hence asking for ore details ;)

The hunt goes on....

Sudesh
17-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I've already been informed that too sudesh :)
When I first saw the post I thought he was selling his console and getting another, hence asking for ore details ;)

The hunt goes on....

lol

I noticed this before that initial email Simon. But well spotted by the Master lol

When I first saw the console, I though it looked too good to be true, most if not all aftermarket double dins dont have that finish and dont show the ashtray, plus the bottom fixing point is never as good and neither is the small aspirator vent; however as I pointed out, its still not a great snug/oem double din look, because the top curves are still there and a gap would be visible.

sukjitrana@hotmail.com
23-08-2011, 05:45 PM
mine is still on its way once i have had it installed i will update you

sukjitrana@hotmail.com
10-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Hello guys ive now had my car back and the app radio does look the business i have attached some pics if you like wot you see please contact me and i will forward the detail of the company which carried out the work.

Rana