PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth buying spare O2 sensor?

NSX 2000
04-01-2011, 07:08 AM
As title really, is it worth buying spare O2 sensors for my 2005 NSX from SoS?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/NGK/NTK_O2_Sensors/

If so which ones do I get?

I'm in Phoenix right now and could get them today from SoS

Paul

m666 edd
04-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Bet the weather is fairly pleasant right now.

Get me seat rails while you are there :-)

Ed

AR
04-01-2011, 09:36 AM
In the words of Pele...I Would!

Kaz-kzukNA1
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi, Paul.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Hope you are having wonderful time. It could rain even you are in the desert area so please watch out for the slippery road when it just started raining (although my life in Pheonix was long time ago...).

Regarding the O2 sensor, if I were you, I’ll double check the cable length and spec of O2 sensors especially for the ones at the downstream/After the CATs, if you are sourcing the parts in US. May be SoS can help on these.

I have some experiences with Acura NSX earlier models but no experience on the later ones especially the face lifted models so please take this into your consideration.

On the later models, some of the Acura and UK NSX share the same O2 sensors for the upperstream/Before CATs so you should be able to get the correct one(s) from SoS.

On the other hand, the CATs spec between Acura and UK NSX is different.
I don’t know whether this is the reason or not but the parts number for the downstream O2 sensors are different between Acura and UK models.

As I’m not good at in using the ‘Year Model’, I prefer checking each NSX based on VIN but as I saw your NSX the other day, I presume it is the last limited numbers of UK NSX built under 2005 spec with 3.2L engine.

If this is the case, then your OEM parts number for the sensors are as follows. If my assumption is wrong, then the part number could be wrong.

Front Primary (upper stream/before cat): 36531-PBY-003
Rear Primary (upper stream/before cat): 36532-PBY-003

You should be able to get hold of the compatible ones by NGK/NTK from SoS.
I think the NTK parts no. is #24679 for both the Front and Rear upperstream sensors but please check with SoS.

Front Secondary (down stream/after cat): 36541-PR7-J51
Rear Secondary (down stream/after cat): 36542-PR7-J51

For Acura NSX, the last three digits of downstream sensors are A51 instead of the letter J and as far as I know, you can’t get hold of J51 version in US.

For downstream, some of the manufactures use different spec O2 sensor compared to the upperstream one by changing the shape of the sensor tip.
This is to cope with the low exhaust/CAT gas temperature just after the initial start up of the engine.

Unfortunately, I don’t know whether the sensor spec/characteristic of A51 and J51 is different or not.

Recently, one of the UK owner bought downstream sensor (OEM one) from US and although he specified the correct position for the sensor, he received the wrong one (Front downstream < - > Rear downstream).

He then contacted me for some help.

Downstream sensors use different connector terminals so it’s not compatible between Front and Rear.
Front downstream: Male terminal
Rear downstream: Female terminal

The owner also mentioned that he was sold the A51 version and when he tried it, the cable was bit too short for both the front and rear downstream position so it sounded like the cable length is shorter on the A51 than the J51 version.

Please note that I haven’t checked this by myself.

If it’s just the cable length difference, then you can extend it with several methods but I can’t confirm whether the sensor spec/characteristic is the same or not at this stage.

Kaz

Ewan
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It's worth looking on Amazon.com - they'll deliver to a US address (ie that isn't your credit card address) and seem to carry a stock of suitable Denso sensors. One of mine went recently and I was quoted £149+VAT from Motor Parts Direct.
Amazon.com delivered to a pal in the US: $34!

Check part number equivalents on http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1430827&application=M%2FT

cheers
Ewan

havoc
05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Definitely get them. Even from retailers like Andy (VTEC Direct) you'll be paying at least 2x the US prices in the UK.