PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Driving + multiple cars (even worse)

Boomin33
13-01-2011, 12:42 PM
has anyone else been getting annoyed over the last year or so?

re: Insurance, Road tax + Petrol increases....

Although I've never really paid attention to this stuff in the past, it all feels like it's becoming a bit much now.

maybe the problem is that I own 4 cars. = 2 too many these days :(

AR
13-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Funny you should mention it, as yesterday we got our business renewal insurance and having gone down in the number of vehicles insured, it does not seem to have gone down that much!

We went from 4 to two cars, and unless you are using them all the time you are better off putting some cars on SORN during the winter and on a fire and theft only insurance IMHO.

NSX 2000
13-01-2011, 05:43 PM
has anyone else been getting annoyed over the last year or so?

re: Insurance, Road tax + Petrol increases....

Although I've never really paid attention to this stuff in the past, it all feels like it's becoming a bit much now.

maybe the problem is that I own 4 cars. = 2 too many these days :(

Last night I filled the Jag to the brim £83.00 :eek: I'm just glad it only costs £255 to tax.

Plus who would buy a new a car with £450 first year tax and £500 first reg fee. I know this is only on the over 225 CO2 cars but these are all the fun ones!

jaytip
13-01-2011, 07:18 PM
My wife is learing to drive and i just bought her a 1.2 Honda Jazz.Insured in my name 8+ years NCB with her as a named driver it still cost £370 and she's 28 :(

Nick Graves
13-01-2011, 07:41 PM
We also have four cars.

They mostly cost little to tax & insure, being a decade old.

Frankly, they depreciate so little, I really don't care about the other costs.

I mean, chop all four in for a fifty large new car & now see how much a month it'll cost yer! There's nothing new I like enough to suffer that sort of monthly cost.

TheSebringOne
13-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Older cars sometimes makes more sense with the lower tax disc, cheaper insurance & slower depreciation after initial heavier fall. Also in this current economic climate, second hand values are firming better than a few years ago.

NSX 2000
14-01-2011, 09:18 AM
My wife is learing to drive and i just bought her a 1.2 Honda Jazz.Insured in my name 8+ years NCB with her as a named driver it still cost £370 and she's 28 :(

That's CHEAP, your wife is a learner the chances of her having an accident are huge!

WhyOne?
14-01-2011, 09:31 AM
We have 3 cars & I am currently re-jigging things.

The NSX stays - that is the easy bit!

I have just bought a 2nd hand Toyota Aygo to act as local runarround / daily station car / for my eldest to learn to drive in. £20 per year tax, £110 fully comp. insurance, getting about 390 miles from a £32 tank or petrol. (Insurance will possibly increase a little when I add my 17 son!)

The family car - currently a 2ltr petrol Renault is next for the chop. This is where things get ugly (though the Renault is far from a thing of beauty) - I am seriously considering a 1.6 diseasle Bluemotion Golf, it will be purchased 2nd hand (~1 year old) to avoid VAT/silly taxes, initial depreciation.......£0 road fund duty, ~60mpg in the real world, £190 fully comp. insurance.

m666 edd
14-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm happy enough with the tax, insurance and other running costs of the NSX for what the car is.

However my 1.8 astra coupe costs me more in road tax and insurance is not much cheaper than the NSX due to having 2 separate policies so only 1 years no claims on a car I've been driving for 6 years with no claims.

These days I probably do a max of 7-8k miles in total.

Rob_Fenn
14-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Have seven cars to look after here, which is of course expensive, but also gives a lot of power. I would certainly not renew things like insurance whilst paying more, i would expect a discount each year and invariably get it.

britlude
14-01-2011, 03:53 PM
(Insurance will possibly increase a little when I add my 17 son!)

'a little'..... seriously, i do hope that is a joke....... i'd suggest start saving now

SILVER BULLET
14-01-2011, 08:39 PM
My wife has seven cars, six of which are all taxed,MOT'd and insured and I am running three cars so starting to feel the pain !. We need a spread sheet to keep on top of the Insurance renewals, MOT's, Road Tax and Servicing,however we don't smoke and drink very little and get lots of pleasure from our cars.

On the insurance front my wife has just insured her latest aquisition for an amazing £53-00 so not too bad.

Keep Smiling,

Ian

Senninha
14-01-2011, 09:08 PM
My wife has seven cars, six of which are all taxed,MOT'd and insured and I am running three cars so starting to feel the pain !. We need a spread sheet to keep on top of the Insurance renewals, MOT's, Road Tax and Servicing,however we don't smoke and drink very little and get lots of pleasure from our cars.

On the insurance front my wife has just insured her latest aquisition for an amazing £53-00 so not too bad.

Keep Smiling,

Ian

10 Cars ... surely you need a traders policy if they still do such a thing ... and of course I have to ask, what are the other 9 ??

1. NSX
2. ?

regards, Paul

havoc
14-01-2011, 09:43 PM
We have 3 cars & I am currently re-jigging things.

The NSX stays - that is the easy bit!

I have just bought a 2nd hand Toyota Aygo to act as local runarround / daily station car / for my eldest to learn to drive in. £20 per year tax, £110 fully comp. insurance, getting about 390 miles from a £32 tank or petrol. (Insurance will possibly increase a little when I add my 17 son!)

The family car - currently a 2ltr petrol Renault is next for the chop. This is where things get ugly (though the Renault is far from a thing of beauty) - I am seriously considering a 1.6 diseasle Bluemotion Golf, it will be purchased 2nd hand (~1 year old) to avoid VAT/silly taxes, initial depreciation.......£0 road fund duty, ~60mpg in the real world, £190 fully comp. insurance.

Noooooooo!!! ;o)

I take it you do enough miles to justify a diseasel, Ian? That said, Becs' Golf is a decent all-rounder and very nice inside, if a little devoid of feel and with an over-servo'd brake (plus floor-hinged throttle = really difficult HnT).

We've got 3 performance cars - 1x Gp20 and 2x Gp17. In Coventry last year we paid >£1,500 insurance. This year in S'ford I'd hope it'll be more like £1,200 or so. Depreciation though has been pleasantly slight - NSX hopefully negative, ITR minimal, Golf better than expected (picked the right car, colour and spec, I guess). Which just leaves fuel...and I try not to think about that! :D
(Still going to keep them as long as we can afford the fuel - too addictive, and one of the Hondas would be first to go... :( )

SB - 10 cars??? Damn, you've just made Becs jealous, and she keeps telling me we're not allowed 4 between the two of us!

WhyOne?
14-01-2011, 10:20 PM
'a little'..... seriously, i do hope that is a joke....... i'd suggest start saving now

Yes, I was being sarcastic - lowest form of wit and all that - sorry!

It is going to cost £850 once my son has passed his test and let loose.

Whilst a lot of money, an awful lot less than some of his mates are being charged, which is why we chose the Aygo.

SILVER BULLET
15-01-2011, 11:02 AM
10 Cars ... surely you need a traders policy if they still do such a thing ... and of course I have to ask, what are the other 9 ??

1. NSX
2. ?

regards, Paul

Not everyones cup of tea but we do have some fun with them !

1. 2002 NSX
2. 2007 Mazda MX5 2Ltr (Wifes daily)
3. 1998 FTO GPX (for track)
4. VTEC Mini (being built for track)
5. 1998 Mini Cooper Sport
6. 1980 Mini Pickup
7. 1979 Mini Clubman Estate
8. 1968 Riley Elf
9. 1961 Austin Seven Mini (14,000 miles from new)
10.1960 Morris Mini (being refreshed)

There will be more mini's to follow I am sure,

Cheers,

Ian

WhyOne?
28-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Has the world gone mad?

I am in the throes of ordering a new Bluemotion Golf (yes, I know, dull as ditchwater, and a diseasl to-boot, but the company are paying and this keeps the tax liability down & SWMBO happy!).

Anyway, I was informed that the delay from order to delivery is somewhere in the region of 24 weeks!!!!!!

With the state of the economy etc. etc. I thought everyone was saving their money!

britlude
28-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Not everyones cup of tea but we do have some fun with them !

1. 2002 NSX
2. 2007 Mazda MX5 2Ltr (Wifes daily)
3. 1998 FTO GPX (for track)
4. VTEC Mini (being built for track)
5. 1998 Mini Cooper Sport
6. 1980 Mini Pickup
7. 1979 Mini Clubman Estate
8. 1968 Riley Elf
9. 1961 Austin Seven Mini (14,000 miles from new)
10.1960 Morris Mini (being refreshed)

There will be more mini's to follow I am sure,

Cheers,

Ian

I approve of all, except number 3!!! and especially 1, 4 and 8!!!

NSX 2000
28-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Has the world gone mad?

I am in the throes of ordering a new Bluemotion Golf (yes, I know, dull as ditchwater, and a diseasl to-boot, but the company are paying and this keeps the tax liability down & SWMBO happy!).

Anyway, I was informed that the delay from order to delivery is somewhere in the region of 24 weeks!!!!!!

With the state of the economy etc. etc. I thought everyone was saving their money!

Hi Ian

I understand that people who have ordered a Passat CC have been waiting 6 months and they still don't have a delivery date! So I don't know if this is a VW thing? We (the company) are looking at a new van, either Fiat, Ford, or Vauxhall and all are minimum 12 week wait. The car manufactures are now only building "real" orders.

Paul

Nick Graves
28-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I approve of all, except number 3!!! and especially 1, 4 and 8!!!

There's a bit of an Issigonis theme going on there. Like it.

Riley Elf? That's just a 1960s Audi A3 in my book!

Rather have a Mini personally. Probably hideously modded with a 1280 and a Jack Knight 5 speed & Minilites & stuff, but all hidden under a BL Gaylord Special Edition disguise or a van or something!

havoc
28-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I approve of all, except number 3!!!

FTO's are rather underrated machines. I'd personally rather have a Prelude, but they've a decent and nice-sounding engine (small-capacity V6), and handle reasonably well. Some simple mods and I'd imagine it's great fun!

Papalazarou
28-01-2011, 09:23 PM
FTO's are rather underrated machines. I'd personally rather have a Prelude, but they've a decent and nice-sounding engine (small-capacity V6), and handle reasonably well. Some simple mods and I'd imagine it's great fun!

I was a passenger in Ians FTO on track a while back and quite liked it. The standard brakes suck and it needed some better tyres, but the engine was super smooth and it went quite well.
Good fun as an affordable track car and very reliable.
Also unlikely to cost thirty grand to fix for a minor front end! ;-)

Cheers,

James.

Cheers,

James.