PDA

View Full Version : Trial Fitment of Wheels

Chazzi
01-02-2011, 12:04 AM
Well, I took a trip down to Rare Rims and borrowed a couple of wheels to assess offset, caliper clearance, style etc. I have now provided them with my preferred offsets, style and colour and I am currently awaiting an expected delivery (although they do hold alot of stock, things are never quite what you want, so I am willing to wait).

Here are some pics of the wheels -flash in one of the pics showed up the bronze colour well (excuse the rusty disks!!) which is my preferred colour, but in the other style (twin, seven spoke).

I tried to apply a bit of weight to the wheel to give it a more natural position in the arch, but you will have to imagine the tyres on them (unles somebody is good with photoshop)

Lastly, thought I would share a pic of my other little motor with you....

Sudesh
02-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Not into the look or offset of the third pic!

Senninha
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
First & forth pictures (same model I think), but you'll need to keep the brakes clean ;o)

TheSebringOne
03-02-2011, 12:46 AM
They look very similar to Advans? If they are not, then which manufacturer are they?

Similar to Paul, I like the first & fourth.

It is very good of Rare Rims to let you try them first before ordering.

Dragonlady
03-02-2011, 06:24 AM
They look very similar to Advans? If they are not, then which manufacturer are they?

Similar to Paul, I like the first & fourth.

It is very good of Rare Rims to let you try them first before ordering.

I think they are Rota who make a lot of good copies of more expensive rims.
What size have you gone for?

Ian

Rob_Fenn
03-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Yeah, they are a Rota fake of Advan. Bit of a shame they of other manufacturers, but they are temptingly cheap in comparison. I'm not sure what model they are, but they remind of the Advan RS (spokes go to the edge).

Great looking wheel...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Fkf00E6cYbA/Sx-ghiCpVVI/AAAAAAAAARw/jur3Vlowyn0/s640/nsxradvanrs1.jpg

Are the wheels currently on it BBS LMs or, again, replicas? If they're genuine, worth quite a lot! Offset is very similar to the ADAC cars.

http://www.projectnsx.co.uk/Images/OtherNSXs/adac-nsx-4-big.jpg

Chazzi
03-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Wheels on the car at present are Kinesis K27 -rims are a bit knackeered though and I don't want 295 section on the rear anymore!

Rims are Rota -model is G-Force (the ones that appear to be popular). I prefer the style of the SVN (other pic) and I am seeing if I can get them in the same bronze colour. I am going for 17 x 7.5 front and 18 x 9 rear. I am still awaiting a response on available fitments though.

AR
03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Chazzi why would you change kinesis for rota mate!!! That is like jumping out of Liz Hurley's bed for Susan Boyle!

Chazzi
04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
What, are you telling me you don't fancy a bit of Boyle? :laugh:

TBH, the rims are a bit knackered with buckles and a small tear. To buy new sections and continue to fit 295 sections to the rear it is quite pricey so thought I would go for a slightly narrower rear in a design that I like.

To me, branding is not so important. I know that some people try to give Rota a bad name for copying of designs and stating that they break or crack, but in my research this sounds like sour grapes as I cannot find many true testimonials about Rota problems -in fact other wheel manufacturers appear to have equally as many problems, but because they are 4 times the price they do not get a bad name. Rotas can not be so bad as there are many in competition use. I am happy to pay a fraction of the price for similar design.

I think Boyle is a bit unfair though -I consider it more like comparing a Liz Hurley to a fitty next door. Sometimes I prefer the fitty next door..... Hold on -what did old Hugh boy do whilst dating Hurley.....

Papalazarou
04-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Love the Advan RS wheels. The imola orange car above looks awesome. If only we had better roads.
What's the consensus on 17-18's for UK roads? Any loss of feel/ride comfort?

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
04-02-2011, 11:27 PM
...........What's the consensus on 17-18's for UK roads? Any loss of feel/ride comfort?

Cheers,

James.

I've been running on the 17/18 Enkeis for a couple of years / 10k miles and wouldn't esitate to recommend the change for daily rims. These are wrapped (not in vinyl) with the Hankooks and are the original set with plenty of life left in them.

I've also got the OEM 17's with AD08's for summer and track use where the smaller rim and sticky tyres can really work.

If you 17/18 you will want 215/40 and 265/35 so as not to upset the TCS.

Have you looked at Prodrive http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Prodrive/models/GC05F/DSC_0051[1].jpg

as an option on the Advan's ... I notice theres a few subtley different versions just to give you something to think about ...

regards, Paul

Silver Surfer
05-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Link not working Paul.

SS

AR
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Chazzi you might be able to get some good money for them Kinesis over in the US, they are quite pricey new.

As for Rotas, not a problem, they had a bad reputation due to some bad batches when they first came out.

As long as you don't mind a little bit heavier weight due to cast wheel ( most OEM rims are anyways ) they should be OK.

AR
05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Guys don't forget that when you got to larger rear tyres you make your car slower.

Cheers,

AR