PDA

View Full Version : Damaged NSX 2003 TARGA 3.2 V6 MT 6 on ebay

nobby
05-02-2011, 02:29 PM
guys

looks like the person(s) who bought this car, may have now realised what its going to cost to put back on the road IF POSSIBLE!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NSX-2003-TARGA-3-2-V6-MT-6-Damaged-Type-R-RX7-S2000-/250768348694?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a62f55616

havoc
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
It'll definitely be possible to put it back on the road. But it needs a completely new front-end...which as you say is going to cost £££...and then as a Cat-D it'll never be worth as much as an un-listed car.

I'm not sure I want to guess the cost to fix, TBH...3 panels plus bumper, sub-frame, radiator, headlights, ancillaries. Plus possibly wishbones, springs, dampers - I've got to in the region of £15-20k of parts alone in my head (from UK sources - Japan or USA may be cheaper), plus labour and paint.
Granted if you can find a wrecked NA2 from a rear-ender you've then got a whole car plus some spares...

How much would a clean 2003 NA2 in IYP be worth - £35k now? So this needs to come in at under £32k to be cost-effective...unless you're desperate to have a yellow NA2, in which case the few-£k cost of respraying another car will offset the Cat-D resale reduction...

Papalazarou
05-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I drove mine home with much less damage that that and the repaid bill was £30k + vat! Chassis legs are £6.5K each, so there's £13k to start. The little plastic air dam behind the bumper is nearly a grand.
The retail repair bill for that car is knocking on forty grand.

Cheers,

James.

vtecdirect
05-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Using Genuine honda parts, the list came to 28k for that car, and that didnt include paint or labour. The chassis legs are bent, the inner wings are bent, the main scuttle has a crease, the abs unit is smashed. That is why i tried to buy as a salvage only car but insurance company insisted it went to salvage auction. I also bid for the car but was outbid by a long way, and the buyer has obviously learned the error of his ways in buying a car without knowing how badly it is damaged. It looks light damage on first view, but when you start looking closely the twist is clear to see.

vtecdirect
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
i tried to buy your car too James lol

Papalazarou
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
i tried to buy your car too James lol

I didn't follow that second auction of my old car. How much did it make?

Cheers,

James.

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Personally I would either do 1 of 2 things with that yellow car.

1, Break it for spares,

2, Keep it and repair it personally over a period of years, by trying to locate facelift parts every now and then; because lets face it, there arnt many used facelift spares available, and it will only be every so often when you find them at a good price, to me thats the only way the car is really worth fixing, otherwise it will cost more than a straight car.

Nick Graves
05-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Thinking about it, only a proper cut n' shut would make sense.

Not sure one can do a proper cut n' shut on a -T.

vtecdirect
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I didn't follow that second auction of my old car. How much did it make?

Cheers,

James.

14.5k if i recall, but that plus fees make it expensive. Would have liked it at 12ish and spent 4-5k on it plus paint, still saleable especially with photo documented repair.

AR
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=vtecdirect;81184]spent 4-5k on it plus paintQUOTE]

It needed chassis legs so there goes that budget!

NoelWatson
05-02-2011, 07:13 PM
1, Break it for spares,

What do you reckon you could get?

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 07:15 PM
What do you reckon you could get?

What do you mean Noel?

Get, as in return figure from breaking the car?

nobby
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
yes mate, i think thats what he means ... well thats my opinion anyways too :)

Pity the ABS Modulator has been damaged beyond repair on this car based on what Andy has stated :(

What do you mean Noel?

AR
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Is not how much, but how long it would take to sell all the bits.

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Is not how much, but how long it would take to sell all the bits.

Your right on the money there!

The other problem is, that car was front end damage so the more sought after bits like, the lights bumper and all that stuff are pretty much gone and that would have returned some decent money [facelift conversion]

The other sought after parts although would be slow to sell are engine and gear box, if you could get 6/7k for both bits then thats good going but I think it would be a hard sell, then you have the rear bumper/lower spats and garnish, I would sell the rear boot lid complete with spoiler, 3rd brake light and the lower lip spoiler thats tucked in under the main boot spoiler, seats, door trims steering wheel and certain interior parts would bring in some good money too, and of course the wheels.

For me, I would need to be buying the car pretty much at the low end, so around 7 maybe 8k because NSX parts are slow to sell unless its give away prices, in which case I would be looking to buy the car for less.

NSX-FAN
05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
such a shame to see it in that state, cant be too many yellow ones around, pity it would cost an arm and leg to rebuild.

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 08:14 PM
There may one or two more tucked away somewhere!

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Pity the ABS Modulator has been damaged beyond repair on this car based on what Andy has stated :(

Pity for that car! Good that you didnt get it or the work would be piling on lol

NSX-FAN
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
There may one or two more tucked away somewhere!

May is the key word there, i hope there is, although, there probably isn't, i bet Yellow was the least popular colour.

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 08:51 PM
May is the key word there, i hope there is, although, there probably isn't, i bet Yellow was the least popular colour.

I once thought there were NO white facelift UK NSX's in the country, only to find out there are definitely 2!! And from what I recall, owned by the same person.

NSX-FAN
05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I know of one white one, saw this picture of it on Flickr, wonder why the guy has 2 white ones, is one used a lot and the other a concourse car???

Here is the white NA2 NSX.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapper23cy/393045644/in/faves-44883793@N05/

TheSebringOne
05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
A member here owned the one in CW before changing it for the unique pearl one
and its one of the final 12. Its one of my favourite coloured NSX.

nobby
05-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Totally agree, hate seeing such pictures of a a truly lovely example of an NSX lying in ruins. hard for me to look at what about the poor ex owner! :(
must be gut wrenching ... NEVER WANT TO BE IN THIS POSITION

MORE WORK LESS POSTING!!!! :)

Pity for that car! Good that you didnt get it or the work would be piling on lol

nobby
05-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Agree, looks lovely indeed!

Sudesh
05-02-2011, 11:50 PM

If it was a UK car, it wouldnt have been CW white to begin with!

Senninha
06-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I know of one white one, saw this picture of it on Flickr, wonder why the guy has 2 white ones, is one used a lot and the other a concourse car???

Here is the white NA2 NSX.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapper23cy/393045644/in/faves-44883793@N05/

Keep searching and you'll find the answer on the forum ... this picture is of his current car ...

Papalazarou
06-02-2011, 08:55 AM
If it was a UK car, it wouldnt have been CW white to begin with!

Nigel had a GP facelift back in 2004. Took me a while to find, but there you go....

Put in search for 'white UK nsx'

Cheers,

James.

NSX-FAN
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
There might actually be more than one Yellow NSX although this car is a 2003 car as well so i suspect it is the same car, just found this picture on my computer.

Sudesh
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
There might actually be more than one Yellow NSX although this car is a 2003 car as well so i suspect it is the same car, just found this picture on my computer.

Think thats the same car.

Like I mentioned previously, there is another yellow facelift car, its a 2005 car so a little more rare, its manual also.

NoelWatson
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
What do you mean Noel?

Yes. For example, surely you could get £1k for wheels alone?

NSX-FAN
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
But breaking an NSX is surely a sin??

nobby
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
yes, but when it comes to the NSX, the head needs to try to rule the heart UNLESS you have serious amounts of cash behind you! You have seen the cost estimates of what it will take to put damaged cars back like this back on the road ... i would love to see these cars back on but sometimes you have got to ask is it worth it?

the thought of breaking is not nice, but then lying in a crumpled heap for years is not much use either

But breaking an NSX is surely a sin??

NSX-FAN
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I see your point, if it costs so much to repair and takes a long period of time then yes, you may as well break it.

Sudesh
07-02-2011, 10:55 PM
yes, but when it comes to the NSX, the head needs to try to rule the heart UNLESS you have serious amounts of cash behind you! You have seen the cost estimates of what it will take to put damaged cars back like this back on the road ... i would love to see these cars back on but sometimes you have got to ask is it worth it?

the thought of breaking is not nice, but then lying in a crumpled heap for years is not much use either

Pretty much what Andrew said, for me this car is a breaker unless as I stated earlier, someone buys it and takes there time over a period to repair and source parts at the right money. I was interested in this car myself and would have spent my own time and work repairing it as project, based over a year or two and carefully sourcing OEM facelift parts. To buy this and buy all new parts is simply not worth it.

nobby
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
It is so annoying especially when the numbers of these cars are dwindling, that Honda would try and do something regarding the cost of parts associated with these cars ... its deplorable and quite frankly a rip off/licence to print money! Especially in the UK, the US market would not stand for such prices anyways

Yes i know, the costs for materials used, also the NSX being a bespoke car etc DOES not mean a car company should fleece you if trying to put a car like this back on the road. Gutting!

but they have been doing it for years, and even though parts on an NSX are heavily inflated they do tend to have a habit to screw you over on their standard cars as well (maybe not so much for newer cars but older models). a friend of mine bout an 01 accord for a run around, the gear selector cable had snapped on him. Rang Honda they were looking over 300 quid! he got one form a breakers at over 30 quid. Crazy prices.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask ...

nakamichi
08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I have been quoted £400 for a window regulator!!
Thats for a second hand one.
I know the parts are scarce,but by the same token,the amount of people wanting the parts must be equally scarce.

WhyOne?
08-02-2011, 03:39 PM
........the amount of people wanting the parts must be equally scarce.

And therein lies the problem - it is extremely expensive to manufacture & maintain a database of parts in small numbers.

Rob_Fenn
08-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I know the guy has probably lost out financially, but to be stung and then try to pass off a car that needs £30k of work as light damage to some other poor sod is pretty shocking.

NSXGB
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but it was showroom condition prior to the accident... :rolleyes:

I know the guy has probably lost out financially, but to be stung and then try to pass off a car that needs £30k of work as light damage to some other poor sod is pretty shocking.

britlude
08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I have been quoted £400 for a window regulator!!
Thats for a second hand one.
I know the parts are scarce,but by the same token,the amount of people wanting the parts must be equally scarce.

no idea if this is any use, and what the reserve is.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Honda-NSX-window-winder-/260732050174?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb4d75afe

shaz786
11-02-2011, 03:32 PM
guys, i don't know much about nsx's despite owning a 93' NA1, ,maybe a silly question but are the chassis legs the same for NA1 and NA2?
i'm interested in buyin this yellow NA2 coz i've got a whole spare front end ( NA1), basically everything from dashboard onwards including footwells, chassis legs,subframe,radiator and loads of bits intact etc,etc. it's wishful thinking but i'm hoping i'll need body panels,lights,ancillaries,abs,......in all i'd buy it if it would cost about 6.5-7k on top of what i already have.
any ideas......

NSXGB
11-02-2011, 03:52 PM
The US parts list that I use for reference lists a different part number for a 1993 & 2004 chassis leg.
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=1360%20223464&isBigPicture=False

http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=27&productID=5&yearID=19&doorID=2&gradeID=76&areaID=1&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=5119%20227639&isBigPicture=False

From what I've read though, wasn't the only acual difference a slightly lighter \ different grade of aluminium used in the later cars?

Don't see why it wouldn't be ok to use but someone with more knowledge may know better.

AR
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
FIY Shaz786 the chassis leg goes almost to the front of the seat and will require substantial welding and to disassemble the whole dash, clocks AC system etc. All in all you will be in for a lot more than is worth or should we say what it will be worth.

NSXGB
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
FIY Shaz786 the chassis leg goes almost to the front of the seat and will require substantial welding and to disassemble the whole dash, clocks AC system etc. All in all you will be in for a lot more than is worth or should we say what it will be worth.

If it's only chassis legs that need replacing, they are available separately so surely it should be possible to repair a lot easier than you suggest? Who you would get to do the job is another matter....
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=27&productID=5&yearID=19&doorID=2&gradeID=76&areaID=1&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=8&idAndImageID=5119%20227639&isBigPicture=False

OP, maybe a post on Prime may be in order to see if anyone can offer first hand experience in this area.

AR
11-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Not really if doing a proper job, have a good look at the chassis leg, even the steering column will need to come out.

Papalazarou
11-02-2011, 08:11 PM
The prices in the link seem pretty good when you consider the UK equivalent.
It's quite an interesting subject really as the repair's obviously possible, it's just finding the people with the expertise.
If you do attempt it. I'd love to see the pictures.

Cheers,

James.

Nick Graves
13-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Shaz,

The only way you could economically do that is a cut n' shut.

Even then, the middle sills on an NA2 & T are thicker, etc, so there would be issues getting it right.

rsevo6
13-02-2011, 04:29 PM
I was following this, but yesterday just before ending, the listing was removed from ebay for breaching one or more of their listing policies.
I more or less expect it has been sold outside of ebay and listing ended so highest bid wasn't valid/ no ebay fees wil have to be paid, sounds a bit fraudulent to me

NSXGB
13-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I was following this, but yesterday just before ending, the listing was removed from ebay for breaching one or more of their listing policies.
I more or less expect it has been sold outside of ebay and listing ended so highest bid wasn't valid/ no ebay fees wil have to be paid, sounds a bit fraudulent to me

Probably because he put 'NSX-R' in the description. I'm sure it's not the last we'll see of it....