PDA

View Full Version : Short Gear Stalk with Extended Threads?

NSXGB
21-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm guessing that there is an equivalent RHD Type-R or Type-S version of this:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/gear_lever_stalk/

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/NSX-R_shift_knobs/shiftstalk.jpghttp://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/gear_lever_stalk/standvszanardi_450.jpg

Does anyone have the part number please?

Many thanks in advance....

britlude
22-02-2011, 12:37 PM
silly question... what do you gain? does the knob screw on further...? (just looked at the link, apparently yes!) it does seem strange that the 'short' gearstick is exactly the same length as the 'standard' one!

perhaps another option would be to drill the knob deeper, and counter bore it to clear the unthreaded section, allowing it to screw on further without taking alot of the centre console apart!

NSXGB
22-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Jon,
The new gear knob I have is already drilled as far as you would dare.

The Zanardi one shown is threaded a lot further down to allow the knob and a jam nut to be used.
Also the bottom half of the Zanardi stalk is longer which reduces gear lever travel the other end of the stick.

My other option is to take the existing stalk out and have a new threaded section welded on or the thread machined gutter down if possible...

britlude
22-02-2011, 04:07 PM
oh, yup, I see the slightly longer lower bit now! the top half looks like it's welded onto the cast lower(?)... I'd be inclined to get a standard one and start chopping it up!!! :)

NSXGB
22-02-2011, 04:13 PM
You are correct on the construction. Unless I can find someone with a spare, they aren't tooo expensive new and don't seem to carry much 'R' tax....

AR
22-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Chop off and weld it a bolt, job done.

NSXGB
22-02-2011, 07:12 PM
....it's a valid option AR but if the actual part is only £50 I think I'll give that a go...part number anyone?

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi, NSXGB.

For JDM, when Type-S was introduced, Honda decided to use the same lever on all NA2 models.

So, chances are, it would be the same on UK NA2 models.

I have never checked this on the UK models so next time when you meet with the NA2 owner, please try to check it for us or someone with NA2 model may want to chime in for this??

You should see longer threaded section than the NA1 MT model.

I don’t think the bottom section of the NA2 lever was longer than the NA1 for the RHD models but to be honest, I never paid much attention to it.

The lowered shift knob looks really neat and I like the looks of 02R shift knob together with the meshed shift boot and the carbon trim.

However, from the shift feeling point of view, I preferred the Type-S knob than the 02R one.

I don’t track NSX a lot these days but when I tried quick shift, for my level of driving skill, I felt more comfortable with the Type-S shift knob than the lowered models. May be skilled driver would be fine but for me, the height of standard or Type-S shift knob were best suited.

For me, lowered one required more force and bit nervous using the quick shift.

Wanted to share this as it sounded like you are changing the shift knob.

If you are in Japan, it would be about GBP50 for the lever but not from Honda UK.... GBP134.60+VAT.

I have the parts no. but not sure whether this is the original one used on the UK NA2 model or superseeded to this no so please let me know once you have managed to check the thread length on any of the UK NA2 model.

Then, I can put the no. here.

Regards,
Kaz

NSXGB
22-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info Kaz.
I'll dismantle the next NA2 that shows up at the next meeting. :)
Unless someone could check fir me please?
I was looking at the SOS and Acura parts sites for the price, should be ~$90.

I have bought a Type R style shift knob, will see how I get on with it...

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-02-2011, 11:09 PM
On LHD MT Acura models, the shift lever stayed the same from 1990 till the end of production except for the Zanardi edition in 1999.

Interesting enough, Zanardi shift lever (US$77) was cheaper than the standard models (US$123) including the discount….

If it was cheaper, I have no idea why Honda didn't use Zanardi version on all of NA2 Acura models fron 1999 onwards....

Kaz

NSXGB
23-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Interesting pricing from Honda....Only 51 Zanardi special editions produced & the exclusive part is cheaper.

Shame I can't buy the Zanardi part & get the threaded part re-welded 180 degrees out.

Sudesh
23-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I have a complete setup I might sell, its the OEM stalk thats been shortened and the OEM Type-S gear knob, its sits really low in the car. Need to hunt it out as its been boxed and stored away.

NSXGB
23-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Sudesh, let me know...

Sudesh
23-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks Sudesh, let me know...

Will do! Cant for the life of me remember where I put it now though? But should be safe, I'm clearing out a load of NSX bits at the moment as I need to build another garage and came across bits I had forgot about lol

lotusolly
23-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Father in law has a metal fabrication business if you want something welded Simon?

Might not be clear from the pics but can you not just run a die down the thread of the existing lever and extend the thread down further?

Olly

NSXGB
23-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Father in law has a metal fabrication business if you want something welded Simon?

Might not be clear from the pics but can you not just run a die down the thread of the existing lever and extend the thread down further?

Olly

Thanks for the offer Steve. After the bottom of the thread the stalk widens, it would have to be machined down first, which would be tricky.

I'm liking the idea of the shortened throw offered by the Type-R\S stalk (if it follows the same logic as the Zanardi) as well as the extra threads. Will see what numbers Kaz comes back with and see what difference a NA2 stalk has.