PDA

View Full Version : SLS Driven

AR
25-02-2011, 01:48 PM
SLS AMG Driven
Well it was one of my best mates 40th and as a surprise his wife booked him the SLS Experience. It basically includes 50 minutes of 63 AMG experience and 5 laps as a driver in the SLS AMG. I went along and booked it as well.
The C63 AMG that I had for the first part was a techno showpiece, oddly enough it did not feel that much different to the c350 we had for a month whilst Mercedes was sorting out our Brabused up GL420, or the E350 we had for three months whilst they all decided which dealership was to pay for stuff!!!
IMHO the C63 did not “feel” any faster than my light weight CTSC NSX, nor did it handle better on their technical course. It sounded nice, had nice seats, but not really that special at all.
After the instructor figured out that that he could “trust” me we went for my five laps in the SLS. My mate whose birthday it was only got 5 laps out of which he did 4 and let the instructor do one. I on the other hand had a great, older instructor who was a GEM! He took me out for five laps as a passenger to warm up the brakes J Wow what a blast, that exhaust was nuts. Then he pulled over for me to do my five laps with my properly warmed up brakes! Other that a friendly “ gently, gently now” to curtail my eagerness, he let me get on with it. The way the car accelerates and decelerates is amazing. The brakes did not feel wooden at all and the way it blips and burps on downshifts is out of this world.
All in all it was an experience that I can’t get out of my head! I am trying to convince the Mrs that we don’t really need such a big house to live in! LOL
Cheers,
AR

havoc
25-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Lovely! Becs really likes them, and it has to be said I wouldn't be averse to one myself - lovely phallic nose, AMG V8 burble and FR 'lairy' handling... :D

markc
25-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.

I had a good pore over one at Silverstone last year. It took a while they're big old bus :)

Nice engine but in every other department I prefer all of its rivals i.e. 458, MP412C etc

Cheers

Mark

AR
25-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid.

I had a good pore over one at Silverstone last year. It took a while they're big old bus :)

Nice engine but in every other department I prefer all of its rivals i.e. 458, MP412C etc

Cheers

Mark

I dont think is that much bigger than an NSX length wise, certainly wider, it has to be driven to judge it.

markc
25-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I dont think is that much bigger than an NSX length wise, certainly wider, it has to be driven to judge it.

9 inches longer, 5 inches wider, 3.5 inches taller.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that so I don't have to drive it to know I don't like the look of it ;)

I wouldn't mind a go though, epic engine :)

Cheers

Mark

Sudesh
25-02-2011, 11:07 PM
I had one of these a few months back; personally I wasnt a fan and really cant put my finger on why. I do like the exterior as for a mode car still looks classic. But I just didnt like the interior at all which I think really got to me. It is a big car, feels bigger than the NSX as the proportions are different, really long front and short rear. I'd still have the original SLS over it all day long.

AR
26-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I guess in a way it brought me back to the 5.0 Fox Platform Mustang I learned how to drive with.

Sudesh was it an investment as in to sell off? Lots of the ones for sale seem to have very little mileage and just one owner.

Cheers,

AR

Sudesh
26-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I guess in a way it brought me back to the 5.0 Fox Platform Mustang I learned how to drive with.

Sudesh was it an investment as in to sell off? Lots of the ones for sale seem to have very little mileage and just one owner.

Cheers,

AR

Yip! As nice a car as it was, just not my cup of tea.

NoelWatson
26-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Assume it was this one?

http://shop.mercedes-benzworld.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2217

£295 isn't bad at all - must admit I've been tempted to have a go myself

gumball
26-02-2011, 10:25 AM
it has to be driven to judge it.

Well it won't look any better after you've driven it. :)

AR
26-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Yes that was the one Noel.

Gumball looks are subjective.

gumball
26-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Yes that was the one Noel.

Gumball looks are subjective.

As is everything.