PDA

View Full Version : SatNav thoughts please

Senninha
13-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi All,

I've looked at several aftermarket items but keep coming back to a late CRV/Civic system. This would be the D-DIN install as per others have completed.

Today I came across this item and wondered if anyone had any views to this vs. the OEM. This item undercuts the complete OEM system by around £1k ....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPS-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-TV-TUNER-HONDA-CR-V-0355-/110433831734?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_G PSSystems&hash=item19b65e8b36

regards, Paul

nobby
13-03-2011, 06:36 PM
hi paul

i think any upgrade to the original system is a MUST :)

i know why people want to keep the original but the thought of staring at a cassette deck would peeve me off!

from looking at this i would think it would suit the car well; i have never regretted fitting my pioneer unit in my car and it updates the whole interior no end, and gets compliments too

Senninha
13-03-2011, 07:12 PM
My other questions are related to install, connectivity and aerial. Should I expect these to be supplied with either option, or am I likely to be left climbing around in scrap yards looking for parts to meke this thing work??

Thanx, Paul

NSXGB
13-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Looks like a good unit Paul. Has Bluetooth hands free which is a bonus.
Presume it has an internal HD memory?
Do you need to buy the TomTom software on top of the purchase price?
Have you considered the single DIN units with the flip up double DIN motorised screens?

Sudesh
13-03-2011, 07:44 PM
My other questions are related to install, connectivity and aerial. Should I expect these to be supplied with either option, or am I likely to be left climbing around in scrap yards looking for parts to meke this thing work??

Thanx, Paul

Paul as I'm sure you know, that is basically an Asia made copy [to an extent] of the OEM Honda one, there are allot of these types of double din units available now for many manufacturers.

It should come with everything you need, however I think the ISO connection is different on that year of CRV, so it will not be a straight forward plug and play to the NSX main stereo harness. But it wouldnt be hard to make the cable up for under £10.00 and no damage to the OEM NSX main plug or wiring.

Senninha
13-03-2011, 08:17 PM
SO what happens about an antenna for the satnav signal?

How have you guys overcome this without the need to fix to bodywork? Are there dash/glass mounts available?

Sudesh
13-03-2011, 08:28 PM
SO what happens about an antenna for the satnav signal?

How have you guys overcome this without the need to fix to bodywork? Are there dash/glass mounts available?

The antenna you will get with the system plugs into the little gold connect you can see at the back of the unit, you then mount the antenna base up near the window, I can take a pic of where its mounted on Andrews to show you.

The antenna should look something like the one in this pics, bottom right.

http://www.ugsage.net/allpicture/TD713G/TD713G-9.jpg

britlude
13-03-2011, 08:41 PM
on mine, a generic double din sat nav, my gps antenna (much the same as the one above) is mag-mounted to the steel cross tube under the dash, behind the clock unit! not visible, and no problem with signal!

my only concern with the particular unit linked is that a double din will JUST fit width wise, and the proposed one has switches on 'wings' outboard of the front panel.... the 7 inch touch screen alone is on the limit width wise!

I chose a 6.4" screen unit to allow for front panel switches and CD slot, but the overall size is 2 DIN, and pretty much 7" screen size!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20hu/Image1251640x480.jpg

Nick Graves
13-03-2011, 08:58 PM
How do you access it (SD card, I presume) to update Scameras etc?

I like the idea, but personally I'd need a second centre console (originality is king!) before I took a Dremel to mine.

NSXGB
13-03-2011, 09:11 PM
on mine, a generic double din sat nav, my gps antenna (much the same as the one above) is mag-mounted to the steel cross tube under the dash, behind the clock unit! not visible, and no problem with signal!
+1
My Kenwood unit's GPS antenna IIRC was magnetic & it was quite handy to find a rogue bit of steel in that area...

I think we need to revive the idea of getting some centre consoles made...

Senninha
13-03-2011, 09:45 PM
.......I think we need to revive the idea of getting some centre consoles made...

Over to you Sudesh ... with matching vent surround and door inserts please ....

NSXGB
13-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Over to you Sudesh ... with matching vent surround and door inserts please ....

Or, I did have Downforce primed to produce some Injection moulded RHD consoles for us but we needed 20 buyers. They were IIRC going to be $400 each.

markc
13-03-2011, 10:56 PM
i think any upgrade to the original system is a MUST :)

i know why people want to keep the original but the thought of staring at a cassette deck would peeve me off!

I couldn't disagree more. The original unit is the only one that fits the original console and matches the a/c controls, in short it looks just right. IMHO "updated" double din units look plain wrong in an NSX... and the OEM nav pod looks even worse :shock:

IF your NSX is your daily driver AND you regularly venture to places you haven't been to before and therefore regularly need sat nav I guess you could make a case for fitting an integrated sat nav but otherwise I'd stick with the OEM unit, add iPod/MP3 capability for the new fangled music media and a dedicated portable sat nav from Garmin/TomTom/NavMan etc.

Cheers

Mark

nobby
14-03-2011, 12:10 AM
:)

our opinions definitely differ on this one so i will leave it there ... enjoy your OEM and i'll enjoy my DVD, cd, ipod, sat nav, bluetooth, telephone all in one system :beer:

I couldn't disagree more. The original unit is the only one that fits the original console and matches the a/c controls, in short it looks just right. IMHO "updated" double din units look plain wrong in an NSX... and the OEM nav pod looks even worse :shock:

IF your NSX is your daily driver AND you regularly venture to places you haven't been to before and therefore regularly need sat nav I guess you could make a case for fitting an integrated sat nav but otherwise I'd stick with the OEM unit, add iPod/MP3 capability for the new fangled music media and a dedicated portable sat nav from Garmin/TomTom/NavMan etc.

Cheers

Mark

PeteM
14-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I chose a 6.4" screen unit to allow for front panel switches and CD slot, but the overall size is 2 DIN, and pretty much 7" screen size!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20hu/Image1251640x480.jpg

I have to say this is the best aftermarket install I have seen yet, must of taken a great deal of attention to get it to fit that accurately.

Cheers

Pete.

WhyOne?
14-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Cheers

Mark

I'm with you on this one Mark.

markc
14-03-2011, 10:56 AM

... enjoy your OEM and i'll enjoy my DVD, cd, ipod, sat nav, bluetooth, telephone all in one system :beer:

While you gentlemen are getting unlost, while watching films and chatting on your blueteeth (sic) phones, I'll shall enjoy the performance and handling of my aluminium masterpiece. I might even turn the radio on occasionally to catch the news, sports results and latest "choons" as I believe those of the reverse baseball hat persuasion call them ;)

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
14-03-2011, 11:02 AM
It is very apparent reading Classic car mags that presence of an operational OEM radio / head unit is a significant differentiator in the most sought after examples of many cars.

nobby
14-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Having read a number of issues of Classic Car, I do see where you are coming from regarding OEM, and I have no issue with that. For those of you keeping the car standard fair play to you for being able to do it and cope with it. If you can DO it, then by all means

Going back to my circumstances, i bought the car with what i can only describe as a botch job to begin with; a single din in a 2 din fascia :(. plus it was a cack head unit anyways and DAB did not interest me one jot. I did speak to Sudesh about returning to OEM but it just did not make any sense, plus having to deal with issues relating to the Bose amp's etc ... to me it was a no brainer and i opted to go for a double din that would provide me with as much functionality that i needed so i did not have to add more things to clutter my NSX interior. I opted for a Pioneer solution that provides a one stop shop and also upgradability if i so wish.

Going back to your previous point, Mark, I agree if you plan to use the NSX more then an upgrade is viable. Well to answer your point I do plan to drive my NSX, she aint gonna be a 'garage queen'. I have already toured Switzerland and done the Nurburgring and I would have been totally lost (no pun intended) without my Pioneer system. the thought of sticking nav units on windows and having trailing wires etc would do my head in, and would look woeful in an NSX ... so i looked at various options and the Pioneer ticked all the boxes for me.

as with previous post, I also preferred to go down the route of having a smaller screen and not having anything motorised and I think the Pioneer unit looks right at home in the NSX. It also updates the look of the dash no end. and there is no need for using internal Bose ampage anymore as the Pioneer has a lovely sound and decent output wattage wise anyways.

I also believe that the work done by Sudesh when fitting the Pioneer was/is exceptional. I believe he has done a fantastic job in sorting it out with regars to fitting etc and making it appear as if it was already part of the car. It just freshens up the centre console no end (see pic) IMHO! :)

There are definitely pros and cons in relation to an upgrade from OEM ... I had my own reasons for doing it ... what was there previously and above all what i needed in the car going forward with ownership.

Think we may have hijacked Paul's original thread with all this ... APOLOGIES!

markc
14-03-2011, 02:35 PM
An excellent and considered response to my childish jibes nobby :)

What is needed is a service such as that offered by the company here... http://www.car-trek.com/ccr/ i.e. build modern "guts" into/behind original facias.

Fortunately the OEM NSX unit produces reasonable sound quality and it isn't difficult to add iPod/MP3/phone integration to it with a USA-Spec, DICE, Blitzsafe, Dension, Grom etc adapter. I have the Blitzsafe and it works well.

The biggy is adding navigation if you want/need it and personally I'm not a fan of big flat screens in cars. Perhaps the guys at CCR could add a small screen, that uses direction arrows, where the cassette door usually resides, allied to voice instruction this should work well :cool:

My "new" Merc has a Comand (Stereo and Navigation) unit which has a colour map screen in the centre console BUT it also displays the visual direction instructions using arrows and figures in the small monochrome information display panel (displays the fuel computer etc) under the speedometer. You hardly ever need to look at the main screen as the arrows and voice instructions do the job just fine.

In the meantime for the 10% of journeys I undertake in the NSX where I don't already know where I'm going my little Garmin Nuvi, which runs for about 4hrs without needing a charge so no wires required for most journeys, will have to do :)

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Perhaps the guys at CCR could add a small screen, that uses direction arrows, where the cassette door usually resides, allied to voice instruction this should work well :cool:

....Alternatively, someone to update the CCU fascia to complement a double DIN stereo install to make the whole centre console look 'factory'....maybe?

britlude
14-03-2011, 04:53 PM
when I did mine, I did see what could be done to adjust the ccu to 'square the recess, to tie it in with the new non-blobby stereo cut out. alas the ccu itself has its edges radiused on 2 corners that meant I couldn't do it... I did try!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20hu/Image1238640x480.jpg

also on an installation note, if you push the double din unit up as high as you can, you can keep the ashtray!

in my defense, on my install my dash was broken anyway, i was fed up with looking at the cassette player as I hadn't had any cassettes since 1988, and I wanted new toys!

At the end of the day it's my car, and ONLY a car, so I can do what I like, I plan to keep it, the mods are in keeping... and the design is now 20 years old. You wouldn't bat an eyelid about changing the stereo in any other 20yr old design car, technology moves on! it's like who wouldn't add a microwave to their kitchen!!!

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 05:17 PM
when I did mine, I did see what could be done to adjust the ccu to 'square the recess, to tie it in with the new non-blobby stereo cut out. alas the ccu itself has its edges radiused on 2 corners (i think) that meant I couldn't do it... I did try!

The lower two corners of the CCU are radiused for access to the fixing screws. Can new stickers be made easily enough for the fascia of the CCU?

Remember this Paul:

britlude
14-03-2011, 05:28 PM
i'm sure sticker/facia could be worked out... a quick photochop, but it's the control knobs that are the achiles heel!!!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20hu/Image1252squaredccu.jpg

but looking at that pic it might have to all come out anyway!!! ;)

Nick Graves
14-03-2011, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=NSXGB;82392]The lower two corners of the CCU are radiused for access to the fixing screws. Can new stickers be made easily enough for the fascia of the CCU?

Remember this Paul:
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=8807&d=1300123044

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/pink_panther_limo.jpg

:D

Actually, there are some neat ideas that might have made an NA3 car, borrowing bits from the RLegendo. But that horrible steering wheel & the swingers' pit trim aren't two of them!

Decided I'll stick to me lick n' stick Snooper S2000. Very tacky but easily removed.

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I think the knobs could possibly be cut and shut as well quite easily too.

i'm sure sticker/facia could be worked out... a quick photochop, but it's the control knobs that are the achiles heel!!!
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx%20hu/Image1252squaredccu.jpg

but looking at that pic it might have to all come out anyway!!! ;)

Senninha
14-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Simon,

Yes I do remember the RR conversion, albeit a non functioning make over. I did contact Mugen in Japan who said they had received quite a lot of enquiries but had no plans to offer a similar conversion.

Having had the console out recently for cabin sensor maintenance I had a good look around in the void behind the console. The main issue with the RR approach would be how to redirect the air vents into alternative central outlets. The other issue with a modern Honda component facelift is that the NSX console tapers top to bottom and by doing so limits donor components.

Without a donor dash to enable any reversal in the future I think the alcantara is out but I have some other ideas for the interior that should work nicely with other changes already on the car.

I'm also in mild support of Mark's observations about large flat screens. I currently us a Garmin nuvi also which gives all the info I need and has taken across Europe several times. Now if it was possible to incorporate something of this size I would be keener still. I think that the earlier OEM Honda unit offered a smaller screen but was still DD install.

Q to those with installs already ... what are the various systems like for reflections being at such an angle in the car?

regards, Paul

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I get glare on my screen which is the same orientation as britlube's. Must be the reason Honda created the NavPod?

Senninha
14-03-2011, 09:34 PM
If you go the NAv pod route then I think you need to go to the remote control of the Nav such as this from the last of the Legend models. Probably do-able as the console in the Legend is quite narrow ...

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200703/2007-honda-legend-acura-r-34_460x0w.jpg

NSXGB
14-03-2011, 10:16 PM
That one looks quite good, symmetrical & has the vents at the top which look handy.
A little busy though, Is there a later version without the disc changer buttons?
Would it be possible to utilise the A/C control buttons??

NSXGB
16-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Simon,

Without a donor dash to enable any reversal in the future I think the alcantara is out but I have some other ideas for the interior that should work nicely with other changes already on the car.

regards, Paul

Would the dash have to be destroyed or just 'sleeved' in alcantara?

Senninha
16-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Would the dash have to be destroyed or just 'sleeved' in alcantara?

Strip the OEM material and retrim ....

NSXGB
16-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Strip the OEM material and retrim ....

Are you 100% on that? I seem to recall chatting with a retrimmer a while back who thought he could wrap it over the existing finish. I suppose it depends how good the dash fits to start with?

Senninha
16-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I spoke with a trimmer with both my car and an NSX-R side by side so he could see exactly the results I would be after.

He went into quite a bit of detail about what was involved to strip the OEM material ready for retrimming. The retrimming was the easy and quickest part of the job. Trimming over the old would give you problems with things like vents and console fittings as the opening would be reduced. Rememeber its not the thickness of alcantara but also the base 'underlay' that add to the finish and therefore the thickness.

Never say never, but for now I have another idea ....

See you 2mrow at the 8ball?

NSXGB
16-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I spoke with a trimmer with both my car and an NSX-R side by side so he could see exactly the results I would be after.

He went into quite a bit of detail about what was involved to strip the OEM material ready for retrimming. The retrimming was the easy and quickest part of the job. Trimming over the old would give you problems with things like vents and console fittings as the opening would be reduced. Rememeber its not the thickness of alcantara but also the base 'underlay' that add to the finish and therefore the thickness.
OK, cheers.

Flocking?

Would like to but I'm working. :(

Senninha
16-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Flocking . . . . IF it were a Civic R maybe, but not in the NSX, and besides, thats adding weight!!! :no:

Catch up soon ...

Nick Graves
19-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Alcantara's a bit delicate. Had it in the X-1/9 and it aged badly. OK, it was Italian Alcantara, but still.

If it needed retrimming, think I'd go for real cow in a suitably non-reflective paint/dye.

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Paul, I'm a little bit surprised at your trimmers response as from what I could tell, the dash looked very easy to strip down of the old material, well thats what I thought anyway?? I havent tried to take Andrew apart lol. However I do have spare door cards and they would be trimmed and glued in the same method so maybe I'll take a stab and peeling them back.

As for the flocking idea, from speaking to some friends that are in the rallying game, they reckoned flocking wasnt very long lasting and easy worn. I have no real knowledge of this type of treatment so cant comment other that what they said.