PDA

View Full Version : HONDA - NSX - PARTS - PRICE RANT lol

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Well I'm not one to usually complain, but recently with working on NSX's and talking to other members and seeing the recent price hike on ABS modulator, its really starting to feck me right off!

Apart from the ABS hike, I couldnt believe the price of some very very small parts, like the NSX-R door blanks I purchased, yes I wanted them and knew the price, but when you actually see them in the flesh in your hand, one does wonder........

Just today while finishing up some bits on an AC system, I needed to order 2 very VERY small seals, they are only 8mm O rings and cost £2.89 each!! I mean you can barley see these in your hand. Another example, the AC receiver/dryer is £270.71

There is so much that is just way too expensive on these car, a gear knob new that cost almost £770.00 "YES" thats just for a gear knob and nothing overly special about it either, the gear gaiter too is around £760.00 or so. 5 bolts I recently bought cost me around £20.00. Where the hell does it end

I could go on forever lol

Senninha
19-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I cant disagree with your feelings Sudesh ....

... explains why they dont get repaired after relatively small knocks too.

Your rant does raise another question for me. Do we know if there is any liability / commitment on Honda to keep parts in stock or available to order. I seem to recall that in the UK manufacturers are required to keep parts available for 10 yrs after the last production year? Does this apply to Honda Japan, so NSX parts are kept till 2015. What happens then??

regards, Paul

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I cant disagree with your feelings Sudesh ....

... explains why they dont get repaired after relatively small knocks too.

Your rant does raise another question for me. Do we know if there is any liability / commitment on Honda to keep parts in stock or available to order. I seem to recall that in the UK manufacturers are required to keep parts available for 10 yrs after the last production year? Does this apply to Honda Japan, so NSX parts are kept till 2015. What happens then??

regards, Paul

I thought about that too Paul, after seeing a recent thread on prime about a guy whos throttle cable snapped and his dealer told him they are now discontinued. But I mean £700 odd anything for just a gear knob is just total and utter madness!!! Even the OEM stereo head unit for example, thats over £5k from memory for just an old tape deck head unit, which isnt anything special and really just a line out system.

AR
19-03-2011, 09:15 PM
An yet people moan about the GTR and stupid prices. The fact is that they use the "limited edition" blah blah to shaft owners. I read somewhere that they lost somewhere in the region of $ 18,000 on every NSX , that could be wrong.

The NSX = a fantastic car, Honda = Not what it was.

nobby
19-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda prices are a joke :( ... just checking the price of an ABS modulator for a 06 honda civic 1.8 ... retailing at around 870+ with vat to be added; at the moment the NSX modulator is around 1200 all in ... so in theory specific Honda parts still remain very expensive for their other cars regardless of model etc ... but you can usually bypass this by going to breakers etc and paying a quarter of the price. unfortuantely we do not have that luxury with the NSX and we seem to get the odd bit of 'NSX tax' thrown in for good measure ... in a word gutting! :(

Silver Surfer
19-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I read somewhere that they lost somewhere in the region of $ 18,000 on every NSX

That's why the parts prices are so high for them to re-coup their loss on the car sale.

SS

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Heres another item that some would like to purchase as a spare or to re-create there own double din stereo system, yes the infamous centre console panel, yours for cheap £903.38 for a bit of plastic!

If you want the OEM carbon centre console, thats even better fun and a very nicely priced £9,368,31!!!!!!

Say for example the lighter is missing from its socket in the ashtray, well you cant buy that on its own, you buy the whole lighter mechanism, thats only £107.15

duncan
19-03-2011, 10:21 PM
I dislike HUKs prices as much as the rest of us, however as a thought; back in 1995 a Targa auto would have listed out at £74,995, the then average price of a house in the UK was £65,641.
Since then houses have increased with the equivalent 2011 price being £171,716, say, almost the same as McLaren MP4-12C listed at a mere £168,500.
To our benefit the NSX as depreciated to a fraction of that, what are similar replacement parts for the McLaren?

Sudesh
19-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I dislike HUKs prices as much as the rest of us, however as a thought; back in 1995 a Targa auto would have listed out at £74,995, the then average price of a house in the UK was £65,641.
Since then houses have increased with the equivalent 2011 price being £171,716, say, almost the same as McLaren MP4-12C listed at a mere £168,500.
To our benefit the NSX as depreciated to a fraction of that, what are similar replacement parts for the McLaren?

Well maybe Louis can chime in with some figures for us. I posted in the past the price of the NSX-R Recaro seats in the UK which was around £30k
I could be proven very wrong, but I doubt even Mclaren charge that for there seats???

AR
20-03-2011, 12:41 AM
I know that right now they probably have a lot more pressing matters at hand, but Honda really needs to wake up.

They need to make the AMV8 killer in looks and performance and be realistic with the price ( on par with entry 911 ) and they will have a winner.

The NSX will remain the only Honda ( for a long time ) that could take the fight to the current Ferrari and win.

WhyOne?
20-03-2011, 08:12 AM
It is price differences across regions which baffle me - for example, I recently bought 6 new plugs & 6 new ignition coils.

If bought from Honda UK, price was somewhere in the region of £850. Purchased from an official Acura dealer in the US, incl. shipping - £140!!!!!

Sudesh
20-03-2011, 09:17 AM
It is price differences across regions which baffle me - for example, I recently bought 6 new plugs & 6 new ignition coils.

If bought from Honda UK, price was somewhere in the region of £850. Purchased from an official Acura dealer in the US, incl. shipping - £140!!!!!

Are you serious! I know prices are different in regions but I didnt think the coils were that cheap even in the US!

Geraint
20-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Has anyone ever tried to influence Honda in this respect? I can understand things like aluminium body panels and ABS units being expensive, but the prices for seats and plastic trim parts is absolutely bonkers. It seems to me that they've got some standard calculation they apply based on volume, and the result just goes in the catalogue without any sanity check being applied. :rolleyes:

goldnsx
20-03-2011, 10:01 AM
During the last 4 years I've revised my car nearly completely. The only things I expect to be replaced are the clutch (already ordered) and the A/C system (mainly compressor). I went through several price hike ons but I'm still worried about future hike ons and mainly the availability of the parts. All revisions were around £5k with parts from the US without labor as I did it myself.
My car is a 91 and has 140'000 km. After the revisions, I'm not worried about needing anything in the next 8 years but still think about stocking some elementary parts which can go bad like a wheel bearing for example.
Regarding the type of the parts it depends on if there are alternatives like brakes or if they are NSX specific. Seals, rubber parts like clutch hydraulics or A/C o-rings and so on are maybe worth to stock before they come unavailable or their price explodes. More to think about it...

No wonder, NSXs tend to loose quality if the owners think it's a Honda that doesn't need anything and the first bill shocks them and they sell it without repairing it first. :eek:

Silver Surfer
20-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I think goldNSX comment makes a lot of sense....It maybe worth making a list of NSX specific parts that may be difficult to get hold of in the future and make a common stock pool for the UK....

SS

goldnsx
20-03-2011, 11:02 AM
It maybe worth making a list of NSX specific parts that may be difficult to get hold of in the future and make a common stock pool for the UK....
I'll start with it today. Most of the parts are built for 1991-2005 as Honda didn't change the car from bone stock over the years. As long as my 1991 has the same part as a 2005 I'm not worried about availability for the next 9 years. But if some parts are NA1 only or even 91 only like A/C parts it's worth to think about it stocking them like an A/C drier for example. On the other hand, the alternative to stocking the parts is to go with the newer system if your old system blows. It just takes more money. You can go with the 99+ ABS system SOS sells if your old system blows. And so on.

This can be an interesting thread here.

nobby
20-03-2011, 11:04 AM
i would buy into this pot if it was to be set up. think its a great idea!

The only way Honda prices are going is UP :( We are deluding ourselves if we think they will get cheaper.

Majority of parts purchased for my car during its Refresh have all come from the US as the savings are substantial, and Dali Racing has been EXTREMELY helpful in all aspects. Without US prices I would have got a real kickin!

I think goldNSX comment makes a lot of sense....It maybe worth making a list of NSX specific parts that may be difficult to get hold of in the future and make a common stock pool for the UK....

SS

goldnsx
20-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I just had a complete view in the part catalog of a 91.

Regarding availability I only see the following parts which are necessary:

- ABS system (install the later version if it fails)
- A/C system (install the R134a version if it fails)
- 5 speed gearbox parts
- brake calipers (install the later version if it fails or buy revision kits and install them before your pistons fail)
- spark coils
- retractable headlights

Most parts are shared up to the 2005 models. I've put my stress on necessary. I'm not bothering if they won't deliver a set of floormats as the car drives and that's what is most important. For NA1 parts there are also some crashed cars waiting to donate.

Regarding pricing it's up to you how long you'd like to drive the car. Kaz has given us quite a good overview of which things fail over the years and which things are reasonable to change after some time. Most parts don't go bad over time if you store them correctly. I would even mount a 20 years old but never used TB because heat and movement kills it, not waiting in the dark, cold and try garage.

WhyOne?
20-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Are you serious! I know prices are different in regions but I didnt think the coils were that cheap even in the US!

Ok, it was an offer through ebay, but still from a proper, official Acura dealership, 6 plugs, 6 ignition coils, all arrived safe & sound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-2005-ACURA-NSX-COIL-PACKS-SPARK-PLUG-SET-NEW-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem334067a3cdQQitemZ22012 3866061QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_613wt_553

Sudesh
20-03-2011, 12:37 PM
That is an amazing find!!!

I'm going to buy these now and keep them as spares, in fact going to buy 2 full sets. I wouldnt worry so much about the spark plugs as any good retailer here will be able to get you the correct ones at reasonable money, buying them solely for the coils.

I would also advise other members to do the same as the rear bank is prone to corrosion and this is a very very good deal.

Thanks for the link!

nobby
20-03-2011, 01:04 PM
EXCELLENT FIND!

will worth a punt! :)

Ok, it was an offer through ebay, but still from a proper, official Acura dealership, 6 plugs, 6 ignition coils, all arrived safe & sound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-2005-ACURA-NSX-COIL-PACKS-SPARK-PLUG-SET-NEW-OEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem334067a3cdQQitemZ22012 3866061QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_613wt_553

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-03-2011, 03:35 PM
EXCELLENT FIND!

will worth a punt! :)

Ah....
It's actually my findings .....
I'm also providing information through email so you won't see it here.

Hope no one will take this comment negatively. No offense to anyone.
Not related to the OP so please feel free to delete.

Kaz

WhyOne?
20-03-2011, 04:15 PM
No credit where credit's due, as he says, Kaz pointed me at these.

Nick Graves
20-03-2011, 07:13 PM
There's some interesting stuff if you put 'Acura NSX' into Fleabay...

Sudesh
20-03-2011, 07:18 PM
There's some interesting stuff if you put 'Acura NSX' into Fleabay...

Yip noticed that too, also see quite a few used parts being advertised from the US now appearing on the UK ebay.

NSXGB
20-03-2011, 07:47 PM
These are for 95-2005 cars and they won't do the same offer for the earlier cars ( when I asked ).

Sudesh
20-03-2011, 09:14 PM
These are for 95-2005 cars and they won't do the same offer for the earlier cars ( when I asked ).

I really cant figure out what the difference is and asked before about this but nobody could tell me lol

The part number the ebay guys give for the coil is 30520-PR7-A33 which does come up on the UK system.

Now if you look at 1991 to 1994 coils on the UK system, the part number is 30520-PR7-A02, however that number has been superceeded to 30520-PR7-A03, this number is also shared with 1995 to 1999 cars! Which to me means the coils on 1991 to 1999 are now the same.

Then there is a change in 2000 to the part number to the one listed above by the ebay guys. So its strange they list it as 1995 to 2005???

The other diffference I noticed is the TC number after the coil.

1991 to 1999 is TC-15A
2000 to 2005 is TC-22A

So maybe the Master can advise better!

Sudesh
20-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Also forgot to add the front and rear banks share a different part number from 1991 to 1999 and 2000 to 2005 however the ebay add only states 1 number. I know front and rear banks are marked as FR and RR but the fitment of coils are the same?? So again, not sure what the difference is here either?

WhyOne?
21-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I really cant figure out what the difference is and asked before about this but nobody could tell me lol

I agree that there is certainly some confusion regarding ignition coils. All that I know is that the coil packs for the later cars (how much later is in question here) have a 3-pin plug (the case with my 2001 car) but coil packs for earlier cars have 2-pin plugs.

Inspecting the coils which arrived for my car, other than the FR / RR designation painted in white on each part, visually there is no apparent difference.

Sudesh
21-03-2011, 08:46 AM
BrianK left some good info here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146745

Sudesh
03-08-2011, 11:30 AM
While having some talk through mail to Kaz and another member thats interested in the LED 3rd Brake light, I was telling Kaz that back around 96 I purchased the LED tail light for my first NSX and it cost me around £100 and something pounds.

Well I still have the receipt and its dated 1997, couple of years after I had my first NSX. The LED light was purchased from then, Marshell Honda and it cost me £112.00 plus vat, total £131.88 and they didnt charge me to post it.

Here's some pics:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_4600-1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_4601.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/icongroup/NSXPARTS/SAM_4602.jpg

TODAY this LED light is priced at £598.00 including vat.

nobby
03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
3 Words sums this up - FFS! :(

m666 edd
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I bought a secondhand 3rd brake light with free oem wing for far less than that!

Sudesh
03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I also have a quote from 97 for the 7 spoke alloys

Price for the 16" fronts was £578.43 each plus vat
Price for the 17" rears was £646.79 each plus vat

Today the fronts are £1025.71 each including vat
The rears are £1146.95 each including vat

gumball
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I also have a quote from 97 for the 7 spoke alloys

Price for the 16" fronts was £578.43 each plus vat
Price for the 17" rears was £646.79 each plus vat

Today the fronts are £1025.71 each including vat
The rears are £1146.95 each including vat

Eeek! maybe should change to something cheaper for parts, like a Pagani Zonda. :laugh:

nigel
05-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't see why the prices are so different over here in the states for the same bits.
Tim Poliniak, formerly of Ray Laks Acura up in New York, now from Acura of Peoria in Arizona, always gave great prices to those over here and in most cases it was far cheaper for you to buy the bits from him, ship them, pay the VAT and the rest and still come out ahead from HUKs prices.
Again when in need of parts might give him a p/m and see what he can do.
I still have him as a resource for my NSX and Prelude bits and he's ALWAYS there for me.
Mind this isn't an advert just that he always does me right and I know he's helped a few of the lads over there.
By the by, HUK needs to wake up and smell the rubbish.

Cheers
nigel