PDA

View Full Version : Autoa**e rants ...

Driver Matt
16-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Duplicated thread to move non relavent posts here ....

nakamichi
16-03-2011, 02:42 PM
You could get the windscreen sorted by Autoglass on your insurance.Cost to me was £50 excess.

Nick Graves
16-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Hopefully the chip can be stabilised rather than risk Autoarse wrecking the rest of the car.

To avoid complications, sell one of them quick!

Sounds like a bargain for a fiddler. Wish I had the space/time.

nakamichi
16-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Hopefully the chip can be stabilised rather than risk Autoarse wrecking the rest of the car.

what have you got against autoglass?
They did a perfectly acceptable job on my car and didn't wreck anything.

AR
17-03-2011, 10:20 AM
IMHO you should at least sort out the windscreen as it will be minimal investment and greatly improve appearance and help the sale.

markc
17-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I have heard that if you ask nicely you can pre-book your car into an Autoglass center, where it should be done by more experienced fitters who will have a chance to bone up on the correct procedure for an NSX and perform the work in a more controlled environment, rather than take the chance that a ham fisted oaf is dispatched to replace your screen in a carpark? Can anyone confirm this or has tried inquiring?

Cheers

Mark

WhyOne?
17-03-2011, 08:03 PM
I certainly know that you can pre-book a windscreen fitting at an Autoglass centre.

I did this with my wife's Honda Stream a few years ago reckoning it would be better to do the work undercover.

After 4 attempts (& 4 screens!) they did a half-way decent job.

nakamichi
17-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I have heard that if you ask nicely you can pre-book your car into an Autoglass center, where there should be done by more experienced fitters who will have a chance to bone up on the correct procedure for an NSX and perform the work in a more controlled environment, rather than take the chance that a ham fisted oaf is dispatched to replace your screen in a carpark? Can anyone confirm this or has tried inquiring?

Cheers

Mark
I had mine done by Autoglass last year.They did it at their workshop and the area trainer did the job as the original fitter knew it was outside his capabilities.I was very happy with the job,no damage done and a perfect fit.9months on and no issues.

NSXGB
17-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Just had my NSX screen replaced by National Mobile Windscreens. The chap who did the job said it was actually very easy especially compared to a lot of the more unusual cars he's worked on (and was the first NSX he'd done). They did a good job and managed to get the job done for £1k which was my insurance limit. Autoglass quoted about £1200. Honda were not quite as good sending the wrong lower screen moulding clips twice, even though I'd supplied them with the (correct) part numbers!!

EDIT. Mine was booked into their workshop to be done but they would have come out to my garage to do it...as their company name suggests....

paulc
18-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I chipped my windscreen in mid Feb, rung autoglass who told me it would need replacing, no problem they had 2 windscreens in the country for the NSX, we agreed a time and date for them to come and fit the replacement screen. I was justing thinking to myself how easy it was when they rung me back and told me they had made a mistake they actually had NO windscreens in stock for the NSX, we will have one in mid May, so I am still waiting, so if you are going down the autoglass route book WELL in advance!!

nakamichi
18-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I chipped my windscreen in mid Feb, rung autoglass who told me it would need replacing, no problem they had 2 windscreens in the country for the NSX, we agreed a time and date for them to come and fit the replacement screen. I was justing thinking to myself how easy it was when they rung me back and told me they had made a mistake they actually had NO windscreens in stock for the NSX, we will have one in mid May, so I am still waiting, so if you are going down the autoglass route book WELL in advance!!
Must depend on the branch as I only had to wait 5 days for mine.

NSXGB
18-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I only waited about a week for mine, it came from Honda in Belgium.

Nick Graves
18-03-2011, 05:53 PM
what have you got against autoglass?
They did a perfectly acceptable job on my car and didn't wreck anything.

See subsequent posts.

It's not Autoarse particularly; they're mostly monkey knuts. But they & RAC are on the hit list. One Civ 'screen they did was permanently greasy & the rubber sucker marks never disappeared. I dunno what it was made of, but it was impossible to clean.

Even National Windscreens at Hoddesdon have fitted the Civ with a (wonky) EP-style windscreen trim! Yet they did a perfect job on the rear screen.

Part of the problem is they keep turning up with EP parts for an EK, however much you tell them. This is my fault "because the car is an import" and not the idiot who programmed their D-base, apparently.

My S2000 was getting a new screen annually at one time (That's just my luck, BTW. Ask TQO!). I actually paid a proper indy professional fitter (Dean's Screens) to do it once, but the insurance company cwied about it 'cause their fweinds couldn't play, so it worked out a bit costly. Especially since it lasted about a fortnight...

But it now has a wonk in the top of the rubber, which won't go away each time - ever since Auroarse had a go. So they must've done the seam.

So all in all, they are near the top of the list come The Revolution...

NSX 2000
18-03-2011, 06:17 PM
So all in all, they are near the top of the list come The Revolution...

So then Nick, who is at the top the list????

Nick Graves
20-03-2011, 08:05 PM
So then Nick, who is at the top the list????

It's a bit top-heavy at the moment. Might have to get a disappearance squad to help me prune it a bit.

jaytip
22-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Wow you guys have REALLY hijacked this thread.The guy is trying to sell his car,and the majority of this thread is slating autoglass.

Papalazarou
22-03-2011, 09:09 PM
The worst ones are Staybright! They always call you early evening after work.
I really like these window threads. Really allows you to get things off your chest.

Cheers,

James.

Seriously though, Ivor's right, you bastards should be ashamed of yourselves. Baby Jesus is watching you!

Nick Graves
23-03-2011, 07:20 PM
As long as Jahweh is watching Autoarse; he had a bit of a psychotic temper!

...and there's that irritating ad on Planet Rock where some chav fitter gets all Schadenfreude because some impoverished mug foolishly ignored a crack in his windscreen & it went & now he cannot afford insurance, or a Lo'ery ticket or fags for the kids...

nakamichi
24-03-2011, 08:55 AM
"A customer was saving up for a holiday abroad but ignored a chip on his windscreen.Next thing "crack" and he had to pay his expensive excess (probably 50 quid lol) and now he can't afford to go away.If only he had called Autoglass when he first saw the chip on his windscreen"

FPMSL

paulc
24-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Lol, I did and I'm still waiting!! Excess was £75.

nakamichi
24-03-2011, 03:42 PM
When the Autoglass guy came round to fit my windscreen,he said he had never seen an NSX before and didn't want to do it on my driveway.
He phoned his office and told them about the problem.They must have asked what the car was because he replied "dunno,but it looks like a Lamborghini".
The day before ,the postman asked me if it was a Ferrari F40 !!

Nick Graves
24-03-2011, 04:39 PM
When the Autoglass guy came round to fit my windscreen,he said he had never seen an NSX before and didn't want to do it on my driveway.
He phoned his office and told them about the problem.They must have asked what the car was because he replied "dunno,but it looks like a Lamborghini".
The day before ,the postman asked me if it was a Ferrari F40 !!

That's something I've always found a bit disturbing; an illiterate windscreen fitter explains an awful lot. But an illiterate postman?