PDA

View Full Version : Lacquer on CF parts

mutley
08-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi All,

Yes I am still alive!! anyhoo I got home on R&R and even though my poor NSX sat in the car park on base while I've been away since Oct last year, I re-connected the battery and started first time.

Unfortunately, I didn't managed to get a cover for the car, so the weather has battered it over the last 6 months, and I have noticed that the lacquer on the CF spoiler has started to turn white in a few little area. I'm guessing this is from direct sunlight?? Anyway is there a way to correct this, or is it a case of strip it of and get new clear coat applied??

Cheers
Jim

Dave J
09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Two options on this one, first is to polish with a mild cutting polish such as 'Mirror Image' then rub in a light oil. This hides the white for a while or until you wash it again so is more of an 'emergency repair'.
Second is a light rub down on the entire surface then simply re-lacquer the whole surface, i've had this done on a few bonnets now and it works perfectly!! The last one i had re-finished was a Seibon bonnet on an RX7 i bought in to break up. The bonnet had actually turned completely white from years of neglect and sun damage. I took it to my local spray shop who rubbed back then lacquered it for £80..........looked as good as new when i collected it :D
Dave.

AR
09-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Welcome back Jim, for the money what Dave said is the best option, if the car is going to spend lots of time out in the sun, maybe try to get them to coat with a UV protective clearcoat.