PDA

View Full Version : Dilema

mutley
07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh what to do?

I have finally got round do doing a little more to my car, mainly fitting the new nose cone I got about 2 years ago, and I am now extremely frustrated that I just can't get the car looking right, nothing seems to fit properly on it (I think the wings need replaced now), those going to Japfest will see what I mean.

I know it was in a front end prang before I bought it and than the front never looked 100% due to whoever repaired it.

I just dont know whether to give up, or keep going, so my dilema is, do I keep this car (of which has cost me a lot of blood sweat and tears keeping it going) or do I call it a day, sell and then get another one in better condition??

Jim

NoelWatson
07-05-2011, 02:20 PM
I just dont know whether to give up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCRZLr9oRw

a). Surely you will have to mark it down to sell it?
b). Is the grass always greener?

sorepaws
07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
its the driving experience that matters :-D

Senninha
07-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Jim,

If the chassis is straight then why not take it to a friendly body shop and ask them to fettle to alignments. You say the repair may not be 100%, but surely if the bonnet / wings / bumper are all OEM parts then a little shimming here and there could tweak it for you?

regards, Paul

nobby
07-05-2011, 11:34 PM
hi mate

my opinion is you bring it to someone who knows how to get the best from bodypanels and get her sorted ... if you have plied blood sweat tears and money into your car might be best to do this ... IMHO of course :)

NSXGB
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Agree with above, take it to someone who does it for a living. As I understand it, there is a lot of adjustment on the panels so if the front is straight it should be easily corrected.

Is there not some sort of procedure in the service manual for panel alignment?

NSXGB
08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Just searched online and found; 1991-2005 NSX Service and Body Repair Manuals (http://www.mininova.org/tor/976622) on Prime. (Torrent Download)

Here http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals
I can't open it from here at work but should be worth a look.

mutley
08-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Yeah I think I have decided not to give up, so I'll kep this one and keep "tweeking". I can see that the front wings have been repaired at some point (can see a slight buckle on both of them) so I think that is probably most of the problem. I left the car over night then looked at it again today, and I suppose , considering, that it doesn't look as bad as I first thought.
Cheers for the encouragement/motivation guys

Jim

Dave J
08-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Take it a decent bodyshop as the other guys have said and it'll be fine :). There's no point in selling a mechanically sound car for a possibly problematic car for the sake of a couple of hundred quid's tweaking.

Nick Graves
08-05-2011, 06:46 PM
With most cars, you can loosen the bolts & slide the wings slightly fore/aft & in out at the top until the gaps are even - you might be able to push the 'bow' out of them by a bit of fiddling.

Once they're hanging correctly, the bottom bolts allow you to shove them up/down 'til the body lines align (the wings distort slightly).

Or pay a man...

Nick Graves
08-05-2011, 06:49 PM
BTW - the 'hangers' for the bumper clips are also moveable - it takes me ages to re-hang a front bumper to NG shutline standards (sort of Honda + OCD = NG, in algebra), if I ever remove it. So I do understand the patience required!