PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator DIY Installlation....Group Install.

Silver Surfer
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Here are the Vids and step-by step photo to DIY the window regulator kit in order.

1. Removing door card

http://nsxe-repair.com/DS-removal.html

But also please remember you have allot of stripping down to do, obviously the door car, handle, and disconnecting wiring, speaker and so on (=removing 8 screws for the door handle, 6 for the door card, 5 for the speaker, 4 bolts for the regulator and 2 for the glass. I strongly recommend the use of a power tool) .
I would make note of the handle settings before removing the cables (There are 3 positions, just fit the blue part of the cable in its middle position, that will prevent the door handle from breaking in the future), there .
Then you need to tackle removing the weather shield, if its in poor condition, then a good chance it will rip and fall apart in places as you need to carefully remove it (you do not need to remove that weather shield, gently move it away when unscrewing the 6 screws and when pulling the tabs of the door card).
You also need to remove your window switch in order to use it to move the window up and down to get to the regulator bolts (I suggest you to remove that switches from only one car and use it on all others for the rest of the installation, and at the end fit them back to the first car) and once that is all done, you have to make sure you mask the window up securely so it doesn't fall in.

I would also mark the exact location of the regulator bolts by taking a felt pen and going round the outer edge of the bolts (there is no need as the regulator is not responsible for the window adjustment,so any re-fit position will work) .

As your in that far there is no point in not cleaning down and re-greasing all the runners/guides for the windows, as this makes a huge difference to the window speed/movement, its also a good time to check the window is within the OEM spec line up. (I agree on re-greasing the tracks with your fingers as it is easy, but to clean them correctly you would need to remove them and then do all the alignment again, or you will be messing the interior of your door and car steps for weeks if you use some WD-40 spray or similar...)

For those that have the old style regulator with the plastic "thingie" that breaks, this is also the time to upgrade to the Dali metal version, otherwise I thinks the upgrade is not worth doing. (correct, although this only applies to 91-93 models. If you don't have any Dali metal with you at that time, you can always flip the plastic thingie and it will last for 20 more years - they always crack in the upper side, that's where the cable tension has to exceed glass weight...)

After all that, you then do the upgrade and grease the new regulator and its time to install! Thats also fun lol

2. The rest is one long vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSzUMkjHv5w&feature=related

3. The drilling of plastic discs....use 12mm or 31/64" drill bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7nwTPVPpXE

4. Re-installing the 'Spring compression' bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsTfyzzfuyE&feature=related

5. Changing the 'Teflon' guides...start vid at 1.26 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrtj48JZ_I&NR=1

SS

Silver Surfer
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Now who's into Group install?....in regions:

Essex/Kent/London
1. Silver Surfer

Midlands

Elsewhere.....

Just to post interest...some of the guys have experience in dismantling, so hopefully we can organise it to help each over .....as well as an opportunity for further meets!

sorepaws
13-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Essex/Kent/London
1. Silver Surfer
2. Sorepaws (mike)

Midlands

Elsewhere.....

Just to post interest...some of the guys have experience in dismantling, so hopefully we can organise it to help each over .....as well as an opportunity for further meets!

WhyOne?
13-05-2011, 08:45 AM

Essex/Kent/London
1. Silver Surfer
2. Sorepaws (mike)

Midlands

Sussex:
1. Whyone (Ian)

Elsewhere......

Sudesh
13-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Few things I would disagree with in the blue contradiction writing, against what I wrote as a rough guide to whats involved. But huga knows his stuff and we are all different to what we would do. Good luck to those doing it!

Graham
02-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Did this group install take off?

I'm in North Somerset. Anyone in the region going to try this retro-fit?

Graham

sorepaws
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
any chance of a group install at the SS Classic ?

Geraint
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm in North Somerset. Anyone in the region going to try this retro-fit?
I've had my kit since Japfest but haven't got around to trying it yet, I'd be happy to help anyone else once I've done mine :)

Silver Surfer
06-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I am happy to use my car as the first of the Group-Install demo at SSC. I will try to get some of the tools but will need Britlude/Duncan to help.

SS

britlude
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I am happy to use my car as the first of the Group-Install demo at SSC. I will try to get some of the tools but will need Britlude/Duncan to help.

SS

no problem.....

Silver Surfer
25-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Group-Install demo carried as promised at SSC......Get a size 10 Rachet spanner and also make sure the drillbit fits the drill!!!

Happy to apply new found knowledge and help other members nearby.

SS

WhyOne?
26-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I am really keen to get this fix installed, but would feel much happier doing the work in the company of someone who knows what they are doing!

Once you do know the routine (and have the correct tools!), how long would you estimate it takes to do one door, start to finish?

Thanks
:)

SILVER BULLET
26-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Are we going to have a South West meet sometime to do this guys ? September/October

Geraint
Graham
PeteM
Ian (Silver Bullet)

We could have a production line going:laugh:

Cheers,

Ian

m666 edd
26-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I didn't buy any kit but I'd like to see the how the door is assembled as I could do we cleaning out and regreasing the runners.

britlude
26-07-2011, 07:01 PM
:snooze:

Once you do know the routine (and have the correct tools!), how long would you estimate it takes to do one door, start to finish?

in a field without all the correct tools and an audience it took about 2 hours to do both doors..... (or thereabouts, as i don't wear a watch I don't know..... i asked Sarah but she was asleep for most of it!!! :snooze: )

lotusolly
26-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi Ian,

I watched Kare and John do Kare's at the show and am a little more familiar with the technique now. Still got mine to do so happy to do both at the same time. Just got to find some free time in which to do it!!

Olly

I am really keen to get this fix installed, but would feel much happier doing the work in the company of someone who knows what they are doing!

Thanks

Silver Surfer
26-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I reckon it can be done with 2 people from 'strip to fit' with the right tools approx 40mins/door.

SS