PDA

View Full Version : Auto to Manual conversion

IRLnsx
29-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi there,
Does anyone know if its possible to convert an automatic transmission to manual?
Who does it and any idea of cost?..

Thanks..

Sudesh
29-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Hi there,
Does anyone know if its possible to convert an automatic transmission to manual?
Who does it and any idea of cost?..

Thanks..

I dont know of anyone that has done it. Maybe some of the other guys might.

Also remember the auto engines had allot less HP.

Justin
29-06-2011, 07:23 PM
There's discussion on 'prime.

You'll also find youtube videos of Keiichi Tsuchiya in an auto conversion, mentioning it's a common mod in Japan.

Would be interested to see the costs of doing it here - I'd imagine it prohibitive.

Chris B N
30-06-2011, 08:25 AM
The auto engine is 15 BHP lower than the manual NA1 engine as it has a different cam profile and larger inlet valves
resulting in a much wider ( and usable ) torque band. Would hardly call that "a lot less" particularly with the compensation from more tractable torque band.

Senninha
30-06-2011, 09:17 AM
It has been done. The infamous rolled NSX form the forst Japfest was an auto to manual conversion. Remember that although auto hp is done, the torque spread is also different so you could with the irght gearing have a very quick accelerating NSX.

If you search on YOu Tube there is an article about NSX tuning and this is referred to as a very popular option.

I dont kow what happenned to the engine/box from the Japfest car but speak to AMO for more info

regards, Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi, IRLnsx.
It’s been done on many NSX in Japan.

Some of the enthusiastic AT owners are interested in trying the MT feeling without replacing their NSX after driving AT for many years.

You can get hold of used 5MT assy or even assembling the 6MT using the new parts at reasonable cost [Edit: in Japan].

5MT -> 6MT is popular in Japan and the owner who built the new 6MT wants to recover some of the cost by selling the original used 5MT box that is attractive for the AT owners considering the MT conversion.

So, there is sort of balance between the demand and the supply and thus, AT -> MT is justifiable from the cost point of view in Japan.

Personally, I don’t think it’s cost effective to do so in UK.

Used NSX price in UK is far cheaper than Japan when considering the high parts price in UK.

Therefore, the price difference between AT and MT could be not big enough even just to cover the parts cost depending on how you source the parts and how far you want to convert the AT into MT.

Also, I don’t know what kind of registration paper work is required for the modification to the original spec as well as the required process for the insurance.
Not sure about the immediate cost involved for the paper work as well as for the longer term cost.

Persoanlly, I think it would be cheaper to buy the MT model than [Edit: converting AT] into MT in UK.

Probably, better to first test drive the AT and MT models and based on what you felt, make decision on which way to go???

Please note that for JDM, later spec AT has higher final ratio so the acceleration rate is different between the early and later AT models.

Probably the same story for the UK spec AT models.

AT is a good way to enjoy NSX especially if you know how to drive AT models.

Kaz

goldnsx
01-07-2011, 09:48 PM
So, there is sort of balance between the demand and the supply and thus, AT -> MT is justifiable from the cost point of view in Japan.
Where do all the AT boxes go to? :)

Does anybody have a comparison diagram of the torque curves between AT and MT?

Nick Graves
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Where do all the AT boxes go to? :)

Does anybody have a comparison diagram of the torque curves between AT and MT?

Depends whether you ask a Buddhist or a Shinto, I think.

There are some reproductions of JDM brochures in Brian Long's books in which there are graphs. Main difference seems to be the C32 has a 'hump' below VTEC which the C30 doesn't, if that makes sense.

214nsx
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
There a 6 speed gearbox for sell in ebay.