PDA

View Full Version : Newbie...

hazman
06-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi All,
Just become proud owner of an NSX!! Sorry for my first post being lots of questions, but I don't have an owner's manual with the car:
Just had the TCS & Check engine light come on, but I'm struggling to locate the OBD(?) plug in the passenger footwell. Car is 96 manual NSX-T. Have found a fuse box below the glovebox, against the wheel arch - is it in here? also tried pulling back the footwell carpet a bit, but am reluctant to do too much as it seems quite well stuck there. Could just about make out a aprox 1cm cubed blue connector just in front of the fuse box -is that it? I was expecting a big 16 pin jobbie? There is a plastic grill type thing on the bottom of the glovebox - could that be it's hiding place? Just a bit reluctant to start ripping apart bits of trim!
Also in need of a new back box and will do headers at the same time - I see kaz recommends KSP Engineering headers - any idea where I can get these/price etc?
Thanks in advance for all you help,

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi, hazman.

If your NSX is 96 UK model, then you won’t see the OBD-2 connector under the glove box.

For UK NSX, full misfire detection was only introduced for the 2000 models yet the four O2 sensors were already on NSX prior to this.

Addition to this, it is possible that the OBD-2 communication port below the glove box was only available from 2002 model so the port could be at the driver side for 00 and 01 model but not sure about this… Bit too much info, I guess…

For the workshop manual, there are lots of link through NSX Prime Wiki area.
You can find the link within my ‘NSX Technical and Service Information Index’ thread under the ‘Sticky’ area of Technical Forum.

Inside the workshop manual, you will see how to read the error code for the MIL/CEL under the ‘Fuel and Emissions’ chapter.

Not sure you are looking at the correct Blue connector but if it is the 2pin blue female connector at the passenger foot well area, then it is the SCS terminal for reading the error code.

Follow the manual on how to read the code and let us know what you found and we can start from there.

Whatever you do and even if the manual says to 'reset' the error code, please do not reset the code or disconnect the battery before you have read the error code.

You should be using the correct mating connector to create short circuit at the SCS terminal but lots of owners just use paper clip to short the 2 female terminals at the blue connector.

For the TCS warning light, it could be triggered by the same cause of the MIL/CEL.

There is a communication link between ECU and TCS controller and depending on the issue, something happened at the fuel/emission side could trigger the TCS warning as well.

For example, a certain O2 sensor failure mode will trigger both the MIL/CEL and TCS light.

If it is 96 targa, then I believe it’s 3.0L NA1 model.
Regarding the header and back box, I recently posted this so please refer to it;

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9169-Which-headers&p=85336#post85336

There are lots of owner’s feedback on here and Prime so it will provide you with some idea.

As always, any information on the web could be correct as well as wrong including mine so you need to judge by yourself.

If you are after the sound, please consider the whole exhaust system (header, back box, CAT, material, etc) as a package.

Even with the same/similar design, Titanium one will make different tone from the Stailess one.

The sound (or noise??) will depends on one’s ear so you need to be bit careful with the owner’s feedback.
The older you get, you tends to loose the hearing around 4kHz area.

Same goes to the video clips on the web.
Some of them are heavily compressed/sampled so it may not show the true characteristic of the exhaust package sound.

Our member Ary (user name: AR) offers Zero Drone Exhaust and some of the members went to see it as well as decided to install it on their NSX.

If you search this site for ‘ZD exhaust’ or ‘Zero drone’, you will see several comments.

Alternatively, just type ‘nsxcb zero drone’ in your search engine if you are not familiar with the search feature of this site yet.

Welcome to the club :)

Kaz

hazman
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the info Kaz - much appreciated!
Guess OBD is not what I meant- scs is what I'm after. Don't think the blue one is it, as it's connected to something. I'm looking for a 'loose' blue terminal then, to read the code off. Is this likely to be under the carpet where the passenger would put their feet?
Take your point on the exhaust, I'd read your post & figured youve forgotten more about the nsx than I'll ever know, so go with what you did. Can't imagine headers make too much diff to the sound, rather that's the back box department. Was going to go with your headers, then custom back box to same noise as oem ( I like quiet!). Though having read more about zero drone, will have a look there too. Would be grateful if you could pm me header details, thanks again kaz

NSXGB
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
KSP do not ship to the UK themselves so getting their parts is not as easy as some other suppliers.
You will be able to get their parts through Touge Distribution though, the only downside is the wait for delivery.

Sudesh
06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
the only downside is the wait for delivery.

And I would say the price too from what I gathered!

NSXGB
06-07-2011, 08:15 PM
And I would say the price too from what I gathered!

Prices are ok in my experience.

Sudesh
06-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Prices are ok in my experience.

Well not sure what Togue sell them for, but on KSP website the headers I can find are 294,000JPY thats before shipping obviously.

In UK money depending on exchange rate it's around £2300, then add import duties and shipping. I'm sure would push the price to around £3500 maybe more?

peter300zx
06-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi hazman

Congrats with the new purchase! By any chance is that the Charlotte green car that mwp were selling?

Regards
Peter

britlude
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
on mine in the passenger footwell, up behind the front most bit of carpet, the blue 2 wire connector (short it together to get OBD mode on the dash) is plugged into a blank socket when not required, just to stop it flapping about in the breeze....

NSXGB
06-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Well not sure what Togue sell them for, but on KSP website the headers I can find are 294,000JPY thats before shipping obviously.

In UK money depending on exchange rate it's around £2300, then add import duties and shipping. I'm sure would push the price to around £3500 maybe more?

As an example, I bought the 6MT lockout solenoid from Touge. On the KSP site it's JPY18900 (£145), Touge is JPY23500 (£180) which includes shipping, so I don't believe it's that bad.

hazman
06-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi Peter. Yes sure is. Followed progress from when it first listed at 25k in nearby glos a few months back. Went to see it and it's certainly not perfect, but I'm hopeful I can get it perfect over the course of my ownership! Took a bit of a punt- Probably not the best way to go about buying a 15 year old mid engined super car! We shall see...

hazman
06-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks britlude- looks like that could be the one I'm after then... Let you know

Kaz-kzukNA1
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, hazman.

For the SCS terminal, please refer to this thread.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?9229-How-to-read-the-error-code...&p=85855#post85855

Kaz

hazman
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Brilliant - that's exactly what i'm after, and as Britlude pointed out, that was the one I found. Going on hols tonight so will let you know how I get on when i get back next week...Thanks for your help everyone!

hazman
17-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks all for your help, located the little blue sucker, which yielded 4 long,2 short blinks. I make this the rear O2 sensor, which was going to be replaced as a matter of course anyway, so no great worries there...assume it won't harm driving it in the meantime?