PDA

View Full Version : The modern day NSX?

Marky
12-09-2011, 10:47 PM
spotted on Sunday in Bushey. It is better looking than the NSX but some similar lines?

NoelWatson
13-09-2011, 07:01 AM
spotted on Sunday in Bushey. It is better looking than the NSX but some similar lines?

But the NSX did well in contemporary road tests??

m666 edd
13-09-2011, 07:54 AM
IMO it looks so much better in that colour than the usual orange.

Marky
13-09-2011, 08:00 AM
as much as I love my NSX, I'd prefer a McLaren (even if it came second in a road test to a Ferrari 458) :D it really is the modern day NSX.

NoelWatson
13-09-2011, 09:07 AM
as much as I love my NSX, I'd prefer a McLaren (even if it came second in a road test to a Ferrari 458) :D it really is the modern day NSX.

I thought I did, and admittedly have yet to drive one, but it has been beaten by just about everything - see Evo group test. Perhaps the upcoming (2020-2025) Honda sportscar could be the answer.

markc
13-09-2011, 04:03 PM
But the NSX did well in contemporary road tests??

Just like the McLaren (faster, better steering, better ride, better interior) the NSX was often judged objectively better than the competition but still lost the verdict to the "soulful" Ferrari or "efficient" Porsche.

IMO it looks so much better in that colour than the usual orange.

Oi, less of the orange bashing ;) My Macca would be in Volcano Orange, in fact I've already spec' it up in that colour on the McLaren configurator :) (Shame I don't have the financial resources to complete the order :()

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
13-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Just like the McLaren (faster, better steering, better ride, better interior) the NSX was often judged objectively better than the competition but still lost the verdict to the "soulful" Ferrari or "efficient" Porsche.

I will have to check the old road tests to see how badly the NSX lost - I genuinely felt sorry for the Mclaren engineers when I saw the 5th gear test/read EVO.

markc
13-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I genuinely felt sorry for the Mclaren engineers when I saw the 5th gear test/read EVO.

I have the evo mag test and the McLaren didn't come out badly, narrowly losing to the 458 on mainly subjective points. McLaren have addressed to a couple of the criticisms on [roduction models. I'd have the Macca over the Fezza everytime even without those fixes :)

Cheers

Mark

NoelWatson
13-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I have the evo mag test and the McLaren didn't come out badly, narrowly losing to the 485 on mainly subjective points. McLaren have addressed to a couple of the criticisms on [roduction models. I'd have the Macca over the Fezza everytime even without those fixes :)

Cheers

Mark

Maybe the fixes will make a difference, but when they tested it against other cars (I recall Ford GT), not one person chose it. I fear they targetted the 430 and were surprised by how much the 458 moved the game on. As long as no one saw me driving it, I think I would have to go for the 458 - it is a masterpiece.

Marky
13-09-2011, 09:47 PM
You are right, the 458 is a masterpiece. Ferrari finally managed to produce a car with good built quality and a sublime engine/gearbox/chassis. They finally matched the engineering feats of Honda back in 1990 when they released the NSX!! Having said that, the MP4 would probably get more admiring looks being the less ostentatious choice. Ferrari's only get good attention when they turn up to supercar meetings.

NSX 2000
14-09-2011, 08:20 AM
They finally matched the engineering feats of Honda back in 1990 when they released the NSX!! Having said that, the MP4 would probably get more admiring looks being the less ostentatious choice. Ferrari's only get good attention when they turn up to supercar meetings.

Mark, I couldn't agree more with those two statements. I've always felt I could leave my NSX anywhere, but if I had a Ferrari I wouldn't feel hapy even in our local supermarket. Having said that somebody leaves their 599 at the local sation car park most days.

markc
14-09-2011, 01:07 PM
As long as no one saw me driving it, I think I would have to go for the 458 - it is a masterpiece.

Masterpiece maybe BUT, not that it's actually on the cards, one other thing that would prevent me buying the 458, or indeed MP4-12C, would be the fact you can only have an automatic gearbox. I don't care that you can pull a paddle to change gear, that isn't anything like the same (level of interaction) as having a clutch and gear lever, so it essentailly an auto.

I guess I'd have to go for a GT3 if I were in the market for a new, super fast, occassional and fun car... or to stick with the old Honda :)

I understand that due to customer demand the 458's fully digital instrument cluster can be configured so that the "Admiring glances-ometer" fills the entire centre "dial" allowing the typical modern Ferrari owner to concentrate on this most important instrument while never having to break eye contact with his or her public :bigsmile:

Cheers

Mark

Marky
14-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I guess I'd have to go for a GT3 if I were in the market for a new, super fast, occassional and fun car... or to stick with the old Honda :)
[/QUOTE]

have you ever tried to use a clutch in a GT3??? I had one for 3 years and it killed my knee joint. NSX clutch is super light compared to GT3, and my 993 Turbo has hydraulic clutch :)

Senninha
14-09-2011, 08:23 PM
I was beginning to think you were all 458 fans! The Macca has a lot of NSX qualities about and despite the highly trained test drivers edging the 458 in front, I would suspect that most of us would get more enjoyment form the Macca.

The speed of recent actions by the boys in Woking are impressive and what we see them doing race by race, BUT, for me they have moved away from some of the original values they stated as making this car unique.

Like Markc I'm not in the Market for either but would always go for the Macca as in years to come it is still going to look fresh, whereas the 458 is already looking dated.

I thought the comment above about Ferrari finally building a car to match the old NSX was amusing as the one I saw earlier today was red with a black roof . . . Not unlike the original NSX :)

Regards , Paul

markc
14-09-2011, 09:14 PM
... have you ever tried to use a clutch in a GT3??? I had one for 3 years and it killed my knee joint. NSX clutch is super light compared to GT3, and my 993 Turbo has hydraulic clutch :)

Yes I tried a 2002 Mk2 and while it was "meaty" it felt a good match for the similarly weighty gearshift. The 997 GT2 I got to try at Millbrook was possibly on the too meaty side though! Either way, both were much more satisfting, is a sports car, than any self shifter. I suspect the current/outgoing 997 GT3
will be the last ultimate 911 to have a manual gearbox :(

Having said the above, personally I wouldn't want to use a GT3 as a daily driver, that duty would (and does) fall to an automatic equipped luxobarge, sparing my left leg for weekend sports car duty :)

Cheers

Mark

NZNick
14-09-2011, 09:22 PM
That blue Macca in the pic has very dirty wheels !! :D

The owners should be ashamed of themselves.....

..... parking next to a white van, and near a caravan - whatever next !!!!!

Senninha
14-09-2011, 10:20 PM
That blue Macca in the pic has very dirty wheels !! :D

Mmmm, LHD, heavy dusting to the rims and sides, could this be a pre-production car thats been entertaining its drvier rather a lot?? Lucky B*******

p33tef
15-09-2011, 03:18 AM
I do not think many people will buy either the 458 or McLaren as an every day car which is what the NSX does so well in that respect the R8 would be my modern day NSX

NoelWatson
15-09-2011, 05:35 AM
I do not think many people will buy either the 458 or McLaren as an every day car which is what the NSX does so well in that respect the R8 would be my modern day NSX

The R8's engine suffers from coking issues and power loss - I don't think Honda would release a car with these faults.

Marky
15-09-2011, 09:14 AM
1. I also saw a 458 in red with black roof, in London last week. It didn't look great: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/classifieds/3120251.htm
2. If you think the 458 looks dated already you need glasses. I saw one at P1 supercar meeting on Sunday in black and it looked stunning.
3. My mate Russell has a 458 and uses it on a regular basis. The 7 speed F1 gearbox is easy to use and smooth and the build quality is super. The car is without doubt one of the best cars in production at the moment.
4. The McLaren MP4 I took a photo of was indeed a prototype, hence the condition.
5. The NSX is a great car, and was a real breakthrough in supercar design back in 1990, but the game has moved on my friends. A 2002 - 2005 NSX is a great car for around £40 - £50k but 290bhp is a little on the low side, and trust me, if you drove a 458 or MP4 once you would want to stay in it and give the NSX keys back (but then we are talking about cars worth £180,000).

Senninha
15-09-2011, 09:40 AM
1. I also saw a 458 in red with black roof, in London last week. It didn't look great: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/classifieds/3120251.htm The black rims dont help this one either ...
2. If you think the 458 looks dated already you need glasses. I saw one at P1 supercar meeting on Sunday in black and it looked stunning. Its the fussy over styling front and rear that will / is dating the 458 ... and why oh why have 3 exhausts for a V8 ... again styling over function
3. My mate Russell has a 458 and uses it on a regular basis when its not waiting for the recovery truck .. at least two occasions that you've mentioned .... The 7 speed F1 gearbox is easy to use and smooth and the build quality is super. as does the 7 speed on my 350 at a fraction of the cost ... The car is without doubt one of the best cars in production at the moment. be interesting to see how long the 'moment' lasts for ...
4. The McLaren MP4 I took a photo of was indeed a prototype, hence the condition.
5. The NSX is a great car, and was a real breakthrough in supercar design back in 1990, but the game has moved on my friends. A 2002 - 2005 NSX is a great car for around £40 - £50k but 290bhp is a little on the low side but the point is, give the average driver the wheel of 300hp NSX and 500hp of ones of these to drive b2b over their favourite road, how much quicker wil they really be with the 200hp and £150k outlay?? and trust me, if you drove a 458 or MP4 once you would want to stay in it and give the NSX keys back (but then we are talking about cars worth £180,000) plus around £20k of dealer margin for those who cant wait ....

This is all just my opinion based on real world driving with much more powerful cars in the convoys ....

regards, Paul

Marky
15-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I love the NSX, proven by the fact that I bought one, but I have one question for you Paul. Have you driven a Ferrari 458?

NSXGB
15-09-2011, 10:57 AM
As Paul points out - three exhaust tips for a V8, WHY??! That's the only reason I've not bought a 458...

Nick Graves
15-09-2011, 11:41 AM
You are right, the 458 is a masterpiece. Ferrari finally managed to produce a car with good built quality and a sublime engine/gearbox/chassis. They finally matched the engineering feats of Honda back in 1990 when they released the NSX!! Having said that, the MP4 would probably get more admiring looks being the less ostentatious choice. Ferrari's only get good attention when they turn up to supercar meetings.

My NSX isn't as good as a 458; the rear wheelarch liner's only gone misshapen; it's not actually caught fire.

Marky
15-09-2011, 03:26 PM
it does look rather good in orange