PDA

View Full Version : What's this suspension part that I need replacing?

Silver Surfer
04-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Anybody know the part number of this balljoint on the upper part of my suspension ?
It's the drivers side upper balljoint...the rubber has been leaking grease everywhere.

Can it be repaired or is it a new replacemanet part.

Cheers

SS

NSXGB
05-10-2011, 05:52 AM
This might help you:
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=1323%20379334&isBigPicture=False
I believe they are the same part for RHD & LHD models. There is a guy on Prime that offers a ball joint replacement service for the arms and knuckles, might be worth a try.
Otherwise it looks like you need a RH side knuckle.

Kaz-kzukNA1
05-10-2011, 09:58 AM
If it was discovered early enough (i.e. not making any noise or no gap/rattle while moving the knuckle up/down), then spray brake cleaner on the shop towel and wipe off the leaked grease.

Obviously, please do not spray the brake cleaner directly to the already damaged ball joint boot.

Repeat this cleaning process several times and do it one more time AFTER you feel it is thoroughly cleaned to be 100% sure that you have created oil free surface.

Then apply liquid gasket to seal the damage.
You could use the DIY store silicone sealant designed for the outdoor usage but I prefer the liquid gasket.

Best to apply another coat after several hours because the heat from the brake disc could break the seal if it was too thin.

As NSXGB mentioned, this ball joint is not sold separately from Honda so you need to buy the whole knuckle to replace it.

On top of this, you don’t want to even think about separating these ball joints (upper and lower) unless it is 100% necessary as it could do more damage.

Hope you can fix it rather than replacing it.

(By the way, you better secure the brake line to the Bilstein shock.... Missing the 2nd holder, I guess.....)

Kaz