PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack noise

matpp
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I recently noticed a noise comimg from the steering rack when turning the steering wheel back and forth slightly with the engine off. Track rod ends appear OK with no play and the noise seems to be coming from within the R/H rack boot. No noise once the engine is running and the power steering comes into play.

Has anyone come across this?.......please tell me it's normal! :eek:

NSXGB
06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Have a look here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?390-Alignment-Service-02

The inner tie rods are worth checking too.

matpp
06-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Have a look here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?390-Alignment-Service-02

The inner tie rods are worth checking too.

Thanks for that.....OMG, doesn't sound good if a new steering rack is needed although the link appears to be for the manual rack.

What work is required to check the inner tie rods? Can the boot clips be replaced with standard jubilees after inspection?

I never read about this under the "things that go wrong" thread before I bought an NSX.

goldnsx
06-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Can the boot clips be replaced with standard jubilees after inspection?
You can the save the clips by unclipping them safely. No need to cut them or the like.

Hondaboy
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Hey join the club I have a 91 auto with power steering honda diagnosed play in the rack nearly threw up when they told me the price. Have replaced track rod ends and steering rack mounts and this has improved it a lot. Still slight knocking when shaking wheel with engine off but no play when moving.

Still looking for an alternative to £9500 new rack guess this is why the previous owner was selling silly me for not getting the car inspected prior to purchase

Keep me posted of your progress with yours

P.s don't send your rack to bba reman ltd I did after they said they could fix it then they wouldn't even open it after I paid £120 for insurance purposes to send it to them oh and about £200 to Honda to remove and refit it for me lol sorry rant over

NSXGB
06-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Sorry, didn't word that too well. Was suggesting the inner tie rods to look at first. Hopefully your rack is ok.

You could always convert to the more reliable manual rack. :)

Hondaboy
06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry, didn't word that too well. Was suggesting the inner tie rods to look at first. Hopefully your rack is ok.

What's involved in changing to manual rack ? Parts required etc?

NSXGB
06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
What's involved in changing to manual rack ? Parts required etc?

Here you go;
http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=8&productID=5&yearID=13&doorID=2&gradeID=93&areaID=1&transmissionID=4&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=6&idAndImageID=1331%20379342&isBigPicture=False

matpp
06-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Hopefully! What goes wrong with the inner tie rods.....what do I need to look for once the boots are removed?

NSXGB
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Just look/feel for play.

Alf Tupper
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
It’s my car from the link on post #2, it’s a 1995 car with 51k miles.

The issue was picked up at a healthcheck last year, since then it has passed 2 MOTs without being flagged up as an advisory issue, so I’m not going to worry too much about it for now.

Hondaboy – thanks for the heads up about BBA reman. I came across their site too and thought it looked promising but it’s off my list of options now.

In his blog Kaz has said that he’ll return to this subject at a later date so hopefully he will come up with something then.

matpp
11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
The car's on axle stands, I've removed the boots on both sides and forcing the rack from one side to the other with the hub/caliper, can't see or hear any movement or play. I've also placed a jack under the hub on each side so the steering rack is level and repeated the operation: still can't see any movement. One tie rod boot is split so this will be replaced in the future. Trouble is, the car is up in the air and there's no weight/torque on the rack......is there any other method of testing for play apart from forcing the rack from side to side. Careful use of a crowbar maybe?

I'd love to find some play then at least I'll know that the steering rack is OK.

Nick Graves
11-10-2011, 07:48 PM
How loud is this clunk? I've often found there is a bit of a "click" from most cars when doing that waggly when off bit. I've not checked, but I think the S2000 does slightly.

Only if there's actually discernable movement or a real clunk, would I worry.

matpp
11-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Pretty loud, even my girlfriend thought it didn't "sound too good". Not a click but a real clunky clunk, only when the car is on the ground and especially at full lock to the right, after a wiggle/waggle when off but no play/movement however the steering does feel a tad vague when driving slowly.

I'll just have to keep waggling for a bit in the hope I'll find some play in the outer parts of the rack.

Nick Graves
12-10-2011, 02:09 PM
If you keep waggling it, it'll drop off.

Thing is, it's most likely the inner ball joints on the rack ends that have worn arcs in them, as opposed to the rack bushes internally. They are 'sacrificial' items.

The actual rack ends (3) are £66 each.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/hpl/images_car/17SW001/imge/B__3370.jpg

matpp
12-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for that Nick,

I've waggled and felt it to death with the wheels back on and the boots undone........luckily (dependent on you view), there's a small amount of play on the inner ball joints on the rack ends as you say. I'm placing an order for a load of parts from the states and will now include these and the tie rods.

Phew.......saved me a small fortune!

PS. Anyone know how to get the inner boot clips back on (they were difficult enough to dismantle as the locking tabs were facing the wrong way) .......I've been struggling for some time but there's not much room for manoeuvre under the car: cable ties?

matpp
13-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Easy when you know how......didn't realise there's a small leg to tighten the clip. At least the locking tabs are facing the right way now.

Nick Graves
13-10-2011, 06:32 PM
No probs - let us know how you get on.