PDA

View Full Version : New NSX

Mark N
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Octobers Auto trader has an article on the new NSX

TheSebringOne
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Is this the Acura one that appeared in the film premiere of Avengers in the US with Robert Downey Junior?

Rob_Fenn
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Scroll down here for pics:
http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2011/10/07/honda-nsx/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+highsnobiety/rss+%28Highsnobiety.com+-+Online+Streetwear+Magazine%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Papalazarou
12-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Saw that one a while back. That is a dog of extraordinary magnitude! Sorry Nick couldn't resist.

Cheers,

James.

PeteM
13-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Not exactly a pretty car at the moment, and the possibility of electric motors and batteries ? What are Honda thinking especially as they had that fantastic sounding V10 in development for the previous "NSX replacement".

Never mind I have always loved that milk float hum.....

Senninha
13-10-2011, 09:56 AM
If Audi can sell high volumes of the R8 spider with a 50-100% price premium over what the article suggests will be GTR levels of price then Honda could be onto a marketing winner ... and if this is the case then we could finally see investment and a resurgence of performance Hondas ... lightwieght S4k, DC8, affordable CRZ-R anyone?

Mark N
13-10-2011, 10:30 AM
The picture in autotrader is an artist impression .It has some similarity to the Acura but the front end is differant and its not a spyder/convertable. The article says mid mounted V6 3.5 or 3.7 litres driving rear wheels with electric motors mounted to front wheels., 400bhp , Tipped to be aluminium body.

AR
13-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Front mid engine like the LFA.

havoc
13-10-2011, 08:04 PM
What IS RD Jnr driving - is that a one-off car done-up for a film* (e.g. Iron Man 3?), or have "those crazy Japs"** actually done something without telling us?

* In which case it may well have little to do with Honda, despite the badge.

** Tongue-in-cheek homage to a long-standing quote, in case anyone takes offence.

Senninha
13-10-2011, 09:54 PM
A one off for the movie :)

AR
13-10-2011, 10:23 PM
As I said before just like the R8 in I robot.

havoc
14-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Design language looks more Mazda than Honda though. :(

Nick Graves
14-10-2011, 12:56 PM
If cancelled Honda sportscars were nickels,
I'd be the richest fool alive.

I'll wait until I see more evidence of it. The artists impressions seem to be taking design language form the EuroCiv whereas the pervy teacher's car is clearly an NSX reskinned in Acura design language.

There's far too much ifs and might be's at the moment.

AR
15-10-2011, 05:09 AM
One thing that it must achieve is being faster than an NSX. Not that hard considering the pace or lack off pace of a stock NSX! At least the electric motors will provide some torque too.

Lankstarr
18-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Piccie of Rx53 KTJ in that first link...

Is that the original plate for N5XRR or is this the one that came over and apparently went back?

L*

Lankstarr
18-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Car has no front lights! I'm sure a set up like that with electric motors woudl cost more than £65k, not sure why that would be preferable to a V10 when that's where all of the competition are. Are Honda in danger of making the same mistake twice?

Nick Graves
18-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Acura's concepts don't have front lights! Check out the ASC & ASCC.

I find that rather odd, since they're so essential to the DRG (face) of the car; no wonder so many Acuras look very odd indeed.

Because of Obama & the AGW religion, most companies (Ferrari, Porsche et al) are now investigating hybrids. I could possibly see how some sort of KERS system might possibly be advantageous (although I'm more Colin Chapman myself - just add lightness) and consider the whole hybrid thing might go the way of the Wankel; straight up dead-end street.

Just as long as the NSX successor isn't another CR-Z!

NZNick
18-10-2011, 06:40 PM
The "next NSX" will be similar to the Jaguar C-X16, but with a mid (rear) engine layout to give NSX-like poise and balance.

havoc
18-10-2011, 08:28 PM
IF you believe Autocar this week, then it's going to be the same basic layout as ours (all-ally 2-seat monocoque, MR V6) plus two electric motors driving the front wheels. Total power output 400bhp (and I suspect rather more than our 210 lb/ft), weight hopefully not far off our 1,350kg.

Nigh-on 300bhp/tonne should be enough in the sub-£100k market (will pitch it head-on with the V8 Vantage and the next GT3)...IF it drives/rides as well as the original!

Nick Graves
19-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, they've already revealed the next Accord hybrid plank, so like the MGF being made of of two Metros, it's easy to see how it might basically work. It'll probably be taller, since there's SUVs to collide with and energy accumulators, motors & FREDs to lose.

Satan is in the smallprint. Or something like that. There was an e-Evora revealed, so there IS hope for the car to be quite useful.

Still seems wrong, though...

Rob_Fenn
23-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Perhaps this is the closest we will get for now?
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Ginetta-G60-2011-CAR-review/

Nick Graves
23-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds about as far from an NSX as one can get! The Evora has much more of the driver-friendliness and useablility.

Senninha
30-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Saw this on the Honda JP website ... article talking about the new Earthdreams drivetrains ... suspect this in the new supercar drivetrain ...

A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.

A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight cornering just like driving "on-the-rail" is realized. With this mechanism, Honda strives to provide a stable ride for various driving environments.

markc
30-11-2011, 12:33 PM
A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for [bold]large-sized vehicles[bold]. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.
By mounting a high-performance lithium-ion battery and optimally controlling the front and rear motors, a new hybrid system with high fuel efficiency and output was realized.
By mounting two independent motors in the rear and employing a newly developed bilateral torque adjustable control system, incredibly tight cornering just like driving "on-the-rail" is realized. With this mechanism, Honda strives to provide a stable ride for various driving environments.
[/LIST]

Sounds like it's primarily for front engined vehicles though. That and the "large-sized vehicle" comment mean it won't be make a true "supercar" in my eyes :(

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
30-11-2011, 02:07 PM
.......That and the "large-sized vehicle" comment mean it won't be make a true "supercar" in my eyes :(

Cheers

Mark

Back to my earlier comments about economics and building cars that make money, therefore I expect it will be front engined layout around the size of an AMV8 .... should still make for a strong flagship model .... lets see if it is the new FSX model

regards, Paul

havoc
30-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Back to my earlier comments about economics and building cars that make money, therefore I expect it will be front engined layout around the size of an AMV8 .... should still make for a strong flagship model .... lets see if it is the new FSX model

regards, Paul

Or, as I seem to recall someone official-ish suggesting before, they'll 'just' turn that platform around and create an MR car with hub motors in the front wheels.

NZNick
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Looks like Geneva (http://pistonheads.co.uk/doc.asp?c=52&i=24800) will be where the new "not NSX" will be announced and unveiled.