PDA

View Full Version : WArped brake discs

Lankstarr
24-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Having experienced warped discs on my old NSX and further warping after skimming resulting in replacement discs this article acught my eye:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

It's an interesting read, especially for teh techhy amongst you!

An NSX my brother owned had stoptech brakes on it - unfortunately he sold the car before asking if I wanted them and having seen how much they are I'm pretty gutted! I'm considering some bigger brakes for my car, and will see what StopTech come back with.

L*

Senninha
26-10-2011, 06:33 PM
We need to talk Dude . . .

markc
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
We need to talk Dude . . .

Talk here chaps, I'm still looking at a brake upgrade and want to hear about all the options.

I currently favour the Racing Brake oversize discs (Fr 322mm - Rr 330mm) and standard calipers (on extended mounts) but haven't got around to it.

Cheers

Mark

Senninha
03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Mark,

Tis is one of two options I'm looking into . . . Have you got someone who could make up the extended mounts?

I'll update on my other option if the supplier offers more info ...

Regards, Paul

Talk here chaps, I'm still looking at a brake upgrade and want to hear about all the options.

I currently favour the Racing Brake oversize discs (Fr 322mm - Rr 330mm) and standard calipers (on extended mounts) but haven't got around to it.

Cheers

Mark

markc
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Mark,

Tis is one of two options I'm looking into . . . Have you got someone who could make up the extended mounts?

I'll update on my other option if the supplier offers more info ...

Regards, Paul

I know someone who could make spacers but they'd need measurements or a pattern to work from. Kevin had some made before he had the Hi-Spec calipers fitted, maybe he still has the patterns? It's not difficult to make a pattern, just get and fit the disc then mock up spacers in wood and "fettle" your wooden pattern until the caliper fits the disc.

Of course the Racing Brake kit comes with new extended mounts so not problem there.

Mitsubishi Evo front discs (320mm) are very similar dimensions, overall height/hub hole size/PCD etc, except bigger diameter of course. I wonder if these could be made to fit?

Cheers

Mark

NSXGB
11-11-2011, 07:19 AM
I did notice that titanium Dave on prime makes the brackets for various calipers and disc combinations like F50, lotus, Acura RL, etc. Might be worth investigating further?

Here's a link to a few posts of his;
http://nsxprime.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5307462

A.S. Motorsport
06-12-2011, 09:43 AM
We make custom brake kits with both OEM calipers and bigger fixed piston models.
Trick is to get the whole system balanced, 90% of aftermarket systems aren't.

We pre balance all our kits so no proportioning valve is needed.

markc
06-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Trick is to get the whole system balanced, 90% of aftermarket systems aren't.

Which is why retaining the original calipers is the easiest option. Just stick to the 1:1.017 front to rear ratio, 324mm front 330mm rear as per the Racing Brake kit, and balance stays factory perfect.

Cheers

Mark

modarr
14-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Wouldn't worry too much about the balance, when I had my Hi-Spec (Lo-Service) 6 pot calipers I was informed of the total piston area increase and the effetcs on balance. Have to say that on track the brakes were stupendous and despite trailing braking whenever possible, the car was as stable as ever including a very wet day at Brands. Brake/suspension upgrades are much more significant than minor bhp upgrades.

On another note, I would consider the Dixel brake pads and discs. These are standard replacement sizes and Dixon at DMS assured me they would be fade free. I was quite sceptical as I usually warp discs in a trackday or two. Having run a few track days with these on an Evo 4 with the standard 15" wheels and known to be weak brakes, I was amazed at how fade free and warp free these pads/disc were. They are expensive but cheaper than bigger brakes and new wheels. ? worth a look?
Mo

Lankstarr
15-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Hmmm I have Dixcel discs but didn;t get his pads as my pads from the RB kits on my old car were reused (street track pads at front potentially too hard causing the bumping mentioned in teh first post of this thread.