PDA

View Full Version : Getting there...

Rob_Fenn
20-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Entered the Britcar Into the Night race at the weekend but sadly the car didn't make it! Engine completely seized after quali, assumption is that it has spun a bearing. The bottom end is stock and 70,000 miles old so it looks like the cheque book will have to come out again...not an easy pill to swallow!

The upside is we had fun testing the car for more than day beforehand and finally it is pretty quick! Was very satisfying to overtake a F430 GT2 car towards the end of the day, almost, almost starting to justify the cost!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/NSX%20300/BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE-6686.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/NSX%20300/BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2617.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/NSX%20300/BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2502.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/robfenn/NSX%20300/BRITCAR_NIGHTRACE_2011-2556.jpg

havoc
20-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Looks absolutely stunning in that scheme...sorry to hear about the engine...less sorry to hear that it's now Ferrari-baiting! :D

TheSebringOne
24-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Nice to see you up and running, well almost! Great news about the Fezza.

Interested to know what kind of BHP your'e getting and what kind of exhaust system
set up you have?

NSXGB
24-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Will you be repairing the engine / crank? There is a stock low miles 3.0 engine on eBay at the moment, chap in Kent is selling if you need one...

Didnt you have a thread somewhere with details of your engine build?

Rob_Fenn
24-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up re: the ebay engine; could be useful. I think the solution will be source an improved crank though.

At the moment it simply has reliability related mods (yes, really!) and the ITBs, so it is not much over stock... i think in the region of 330/340bhp. The exhaust is made by Simpsons race exhausts and includes a race cat.

modarr
24-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Really sorry not to see you run...came to watch the race. I gave you a wave in the paddock as you were being towed out but I'm sure you didn't realise we'd met before.
Tasty motor though. Just had my engine built and run in but the diffs gone wonky now so back in the workshop for months again probably. I've had the car 4 days in the last year and a half.
Hope to see you race soon.
Mo

Rob_Fenn
25-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry i missed you Mo, don't think we were with the car then as we watched the early part of the race from hospitality. You should have said hi earlier then you could have been in the warm!

Sorry to hear about your woes too!

markc
25-11-2011, 01:21 PM
At the moment it simply has reliability related mods (yes, really!) and the ITBs, so it is not much over stock... i think in the region of 330/340bhp.

It'd be interesting to know what caused the bottom end failure. Was it oil starvation or did the original bearing/s just fail (wear out)? Can you let us know in this thread once the post mortem is complete please?

Oil starvation is not uncommon in track driven NSX's. Oil pumps are a well known weak point and fail at high revs, and the sump baffling is insufficient for long hard corners, which slicks will exasperate massively! I'm guessing these were addressed as part of the reliability mods?

Cheers

Mark

Rob_Fenn
25-11-2011, 04:53 PM
It could be oil related, but i believe first thoughts have been a spun bearing as mentioned. Engine is at AER so should find out very soon.

The engine was still wet sumped, but with a much improved sump. It also got topped up with oil quite often, but usage was measured so all predictable. A problem with a short circuit like Brands is that it gives the car no time to rest, it is constantly moving oil from side to the other.

NSXGB
25-11-2011, 05:14 PM
It could be oil related, but i believe first thoughts have been a spun bearing as mentioned. Engine is at AER so should find out very soon.

Surely the two go hand in hand...oil starvation to bearing, thus it seizes & spins?
Interested to know whether you are running stand alone engine management or not?

NSX 2000
25-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Really sorry not to see you run...came to watch the race. I gave you a wave in the paddock as you were being towed out but I'm sure you didn't realise we'd met before.
Tasty motor though. Just had my engine built and run in but the diffs gone wonky now so back in the workshop for months again probably. I've had the car 4 days in the last year and a half.
Hope to see you race soon.
Mo

Hi Mo, long time since your last post, Hope you and the family are well, how are you enjoying life in the country side now?

Paul

modarr
25-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Paul,
Long time no speak eh. Hope you and yours are well and prospering. We (the Mrs) bottled out of the big move and we ended up moving a mile away from the old place, so still local.
I've been NSX-less for so long that I forget I have one.
I have to say that the engine sounds fanastic, revs up even faster than standard despite the supercharger load, and spits blue flames on the odd accasion. Its seriously racey and I just can't wait to see the car again and try a session at Brands Hatch.
See you some time
Mo

Rob_Fenn
28-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Surely the two go hand in hand...oil starvation to bearing, thus it seizes & spins?
Interested to know whether you are running stand alone engine management or not?

Yes, it has full data logging..and oil pressure was fine supposedly. But the engine builders have confirmed it is a crank bearing.

It looks like we will bite the bullet and go for a dry sump, although sadly won't be able to lower the engine as a result because of the expense of getting new driveshafts etc made up.

Yella
01-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Looks immense on the track, great shots. Shame about the bearing though.