PDA

View Full Version : HSC, anytime soon?

AR
04-01-2006, 10:13 AM
There is a lot of speculation at NSX prime about the HSC. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything new. Also if it is what it promises to be would you buy it? If so what is your price limit?

Cheers

AR

jaytip
04-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I for one could never afford a new NSX let alone it's replacement which i think would be a bit more expensive if they build it with the same materials as the HSC.

UltraViolet
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
I too would be saving but only for a used example - and one about 10 years old I would guess!!

Rob_Fenn
04-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I think for a new NSX to be viable they will have to learn from their mistakes. Honda is still known in the UK for being the transportation of OAPs. The S2000 never got rave reviews and subsequently there aren't many around compared to say, the Porsche Boxster. The Civic Type R has faired better but it's a long way off the current cream of hot hatches. Hopefully the new one will change that...but how with the torsion beam set up i wonder?

So basically i think they need to create cheaper hot models to create a good reputation leading onto the NSX/HSC. If they don't do that, i can't see them making it anytime soon.

Maybe Honda should 'do a Toyota' and invent a different brand?

-Rob

simonprelude
04-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Hmm, they could call it erm.......... Acura ;)

I think for a new NSX to be viable they will have to learn from their mistakes. Honda is still known in the UK for being the transportation of OAPs. The S2000 never got rave reviews and subsequently there aren't many around compared to say, the Porsche Boxster. The Civic Type R has faired better but it's a long way off the current cream of hot hatches. Hopefully the new one will change that...but how with the torsion beam set up i wonder?

So basically i think they need to create cheaper hot models to create a good reputation leading onto the NSX/HSC. If they don't do that, i can't see them making it anytime soon.

-Rob

Senninha
04-01-2006, 01:38 PM
The New Civic should go someway to distancing from the OAP favourite transport image .... and they have announced the replacement Type R for 2007 (comments noted Rob re the suspension set-up)

Even if I had the money (which I dont :cry: ) I wouldn't buy the HSC in its current styling. The front is ok but the rear looks like it doesn't belong to the same car IMO.

In the meantime, Honda could do itself a huge 'performance' favour by releasing a real Type R version of the S2 (I loved that car) to push it ahead of the Boxster gang.

It should also capitalise on its BTCC success and bring the Type R Integra over to fill the gap before the New Civic arrives.

Sagacitas
04-01-2006, 01:53 PM
A Type R version of a hardtop S2000 ala Cayman S or the upcoming M version of the Z4 coupe. And don't be silly with the price either (as in £30,000 or very close to).

I don't have the money for a new NSX or HSC. Given the kind of money that is being asked for new NSXs if I did have the money I would have to take a serious look at the competition.

Now a second hand NSX looks very good value - after someone else has taken the hit for all the depreciation that I can't afford.

Richard

BabyNSX
04-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Hmm, they could call it erm.......... Acura ;)

-Rob

Honda/Acura copied Toyota's lead with Lexus, and Nissan also followed with Infiniti. I thought nobody could be fooled that easily by branding - but when I lived in the USA I found that was not the case.
Nissan are currently toying with bringing the Infiniti brand to Europe (FX45 please), although they are doing fine with their new revamped range.

Nick Graves
04-01-2006, 08:07 PM
With the inevitable march upmarket of products, it's reasonably safe to assume that the HSC will appear with the V10 that Takeo Fukui mentioned in his speech.

Expect it to be considerably more expensive than the NSX, since it will either have SH-AWD to contain the power, or CF F1 style light weight (more likely). Either way, it is unlikely to be a direct replacement for the NSX. Gallardo of McLaren lite? Your guess...

The S2000 replacement is also likely to approach the outgoing NSX in power & luxury, so expect a price hike there.

Both cars will probably bomb, but Honda's loss will be our gain!

AR
04-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I hope is all that they claim it will be. In my mind I can't see myself buying an 02 plus since I have a manual 99 and there is no performance increased there. I am hoping that it is not AWD and that they mount the engine longways. Dry sumped, low in the chasis and it will be perfect. They have to beat the NSX, performance wise and look as good if not better.

I sat in the new Civic the other day when my cousin's wife was buying an S2K and the Civic feels cheap and too much like a 1980's concept car with all those angles at the back.

If the HSC turns out to be crap, then I will be seriously considering keeping the NSX until another car with a soul comes out.

The new Z06 is IMO what the NSX was in the early 90's shame is not available in RHD. Ferrari beating performance at a fraction of the price. The HSC has to beat it or it won't sell in the biggest market for it, America.

osiris_x11
05-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Honda/Acura copied Toyota's lead with Lexus, and Nissan also followed with Infiniti. I thought nobody could be fooled that easily by branding - but when I lived in the USA I found that was not the case. Nissan are currently toying with bringing the Infiniti brand to Europe (FX45 please), although they are doing fine with their new revamped range.

Honda introduced it's upscale-premium division Acura in 1986.

Toyota followed Acura's lead w/ Lexus in 1990. In 2002, Toyota started Scion, a sprty/entry-level division.

Nissan came out w/ Infiniti same time as Lexus was introduced, as mentioned above. Mazda cancelled it's plans for a premium marque, slated to be Amanti.

Platform sharing is a global phenomenon...

GM - Vauxhall - Opel - Holden - etc'...

VW - Audi

simonprelude
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Thought as much but didn't know exact dates etc and wasn't too worried re investigating it which is why I didn't argue.

But anyone who follows prime will have seen the announcement that the Acura brand will be launched in other parts besides the USA.

Honda/Acura copied Toyota's lead with Lexus, and Nissan also followed with Infiniti. I thought nobody could be fooled that easily by branding - but when I lived in the USA I found that was not the case. Nissan are currently toying with bringing the Infiniti brand to Europe (FX45 please), although they are doing fine with their new revamped range.

Toyota followed Acura's lead w/ Lexus in 1990. In 2002, Toyota started Scion, a sprty/entry-level division.

Nissan came out w/ Infiniti same time as Lexus was introduced, as mentioned above. Mazda cancelled it's plans for a premium marque, slated to be Amanti.

VW - Audi

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
But isn't Acura a luxury brand rather than sporting? Wheneven i see the 'A' badge on an NSX i cringe :(

AR
05-01-2006, 10:14 PM
I guess that is why the NSX is a luxury sports car.

jaytip
06-01-2006, 12:55 AM
But isn't Acura a luxury brand rather than sporting? Wheneven i see the 'A' badge on an NSX i cringe :(
You may want to get used to it.There are probably more Acura NSX's in the world than Honda ones.

BabyNSX
06-01-2006, 03:06 AM

VW - Audi

whatever

anyway the point is most Americans I've met think they're completely seperate brands. This is an exercise in branding, not platform sharing.