PDA

View Full Version : Painting stainless steel

Senninha
14-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Q Question ... Is it possible and if yes, what type of paint is required. Parts will be exposed to high temperature ....

Thanx, Paul

NSXGB
14-01-2012, 11:58 PM
http://www.stainlesssteelpaint.com/products.asp?page=hightemp

Senninha
15-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanx Simon ...

Kaz-kzukNA1
16-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi, Paul.
As this is in the ‘Off Topic’ section, probably it’s not related to the NSX but when dealing with any stainless steel, please consider its material.

SUS304 is widely used because of the cost, ease of the modification, etc but when heat is applied, it will significantly expand.
Therefore, you need to be bit careful about the alignment difference between the cold and hot conditions.
If it is going to be exposed to the heat, probably the coating would be the best method.
Added to its surface characteristics, the expansion of the parts needs some consideration.

Kaz

Senninha
16-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi, Kaz.

Thank you for the detailed information. Would this expansion you explain be measurable on say exhaust tail pipes?

regards, Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
17-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Hi, Paul.
If the parts is like the tail pipe with round shape in short length, probably you won’t notice the expansion because the temperature is not that high compared to the headers and most of the expansion would be on the header & exhaust side and minimum for the tail pipe alone.

As well as coating it, some people loves to polish the stainless steel and then use propane burner or similar to burn-in the tail pipe to get gold or blue tint colour like seen on the Titanium exhaust.
However, depending on the material compound, the excessive heating process will change the characteristic of the stainless steel resulting in more prone to corrode.

Kaz

markc
17-01-2012, 10:16 PM
I've had my Westfield exhaust manifold ceramic coated, by these guys... http://www.jet-hot.com/

I couldn't find a UK supplier to do them a) silver and b) at anything like a reasonable price so as they're 4 separate "branches" and a collector I put them in my suitcase and took them to the US on a business grip last year :)

They look the business and shouldn't discolour like s/s normally does UNLESS the engine runs waaaay hot due to incorrect mixture etc. Not that the car runs of course :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mark