PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like carbon fibre?

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
I am trying to do a bit of feasbility study which i'd appreciate some feedback on. Please just copy the below questions and enter your answers beneath.

How long have you owned your NSX?
Have you made any modifications?
If not, are you considering making any?
How much would you spend on your NSX?
If i produced kevlar/carbon fibre items for the NSX would you be interested?
What kind of items would you be after (bonnet, boot, spoiler, door, front wing etc.)?

-Rob

Senninha
05-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Rob,

Whilst I dont yet own I would look to complete some mods. To this end I've been looking around at whats available and as far as carbon items are concerned, this link details some really good looking and high quality items for the NSX.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36427

Hope this helps with your research. They say they have exclusive links to Honda to produce the parts (particularly NSX-R), it may be worth contacting them? I don't know what mileage there might be in this for you, but maybe UK agency? I'm sure the owners here would support a club member.

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks dude, i have seen and spoken to the German guy at Procar on Prime before. His quality of work looks AMAZING but then price reflects quality.

I'd be looking to do cheaper kevlar mix versions which are more cost effective. They'd be almost as light and still look like pure carbon but at half the price. Personally being a track day enthusiast i don't see the point in me having full on carbon parts which would cost a fortune to find and replace in the event of a crash.

Hopefully that would make me seem less like a rival. Instead, i'd be aiming at a different market.

I'm getting ahead of myself now though, only an idea at the moment!

-Rob

sportyking
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
3 weeks, 3 Mods. And I promised myself I wouldn't :D

I like the idea of carbon fibre but I prefer my cars to look as standard as possible, so would probably shy away from boots/bonnets unless needed to dissipate extra heat :wink:

Rob_Fenn
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
You can primer and paint carbon like you would a normal panel. Obviously that makes the whole process more expensive though...

I personally prefer painted as it's a bit less flashy.

-Rob

AR
05-01-2006, 08:01 PM
How long have you owned your NSX?
6 months
Have you made any modifications?
Yes
If not, are you considering making any?
How much would you spend on your NSX?
As much as I can without causing a divorce. Not looking to spend more than £ 5K in the NSX over what I have already spent.
If i produced kevlar/carbon fibre items for the NSX would you be interested?
Yes
What kind of items would you be after (bonnet, boot, spoiler, door, front wing etc.)?
Engine cover, front spoiler and rear valance.

Cheers

AR

sportyking
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Reading AR's post I think a simple, lightweight elegant and relatively inexpensive engine cover would be an excellent starting point (not a lot to ask :D ). That may get a nod from me.

Senninha
18-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Rob,

I need to replace the OEM front lip spoiler and wondered if you have progressed the carbon fibre options in recent months. If not a standard look, I would be very interested in a copy of the following...

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/26_403_2548_2549/products_id/7930

Thinking about what other items would be of interest if you were to make them;

side air intakes
internal air scoop
02 model side skirts (inc door caps)
02 rear valance
air filter casing
engine cover (coupe and targa)

Obviously quality is a concern, depending where on the NSX the parts will reside, but if you can finish them well whilst achieving the CF look using your kevlar mix and hit your 'half price' target :wink: , I think you may well find a few customers in waiting.

What sort of lead times would you anticipate on various items?

regards

Rob_Fenn
26-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Hi Mate,

I have been really busy at work recently so i haven't moved anything forward as of yet, sorry.

With regards to the splitter, it all comes down to how many people would want it at the end of the day. We'd need to do a 5/10 item run to make it cheap enough.

Looking at our car and the plans we have for it, we're perhaps looking at internal CF door skins, CF bonnet, CF rear spoiler at the moment. From an aesthetic point of view i would love CF side intakes too...

A rear venturi could be interesting but this would obviously involve a lot of R&D work. Maybe its something i will get Plans Motorsport to help with.

-Rob

Senninha
29-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Rob,

Front splitter (subject to design)
side air scoops

anyone else??

regards

Lankstarr
30-05-2006, 04:51 PM
i am interested in front splitter - let me know details of design/price when you know.

Cheers

Martin
30-05-2006, 04:53 PM
also possibly interested in front splitter depending on price/design.

Cheers
Martin

Lankstarr
26-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Any update on these items??

simonprelude
26-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Interested in a rear number plate surround, you know the bit that sags :)

Lankstarr
27-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Interested in a rear number plate surround, you know the bit that sags :)

Hmm I also have a bit of a saggy rear end - probably most of us do! :wink:

I'm interested in finding out about one of these (a rear no. plate surround NOT anyone elses saggy rear end!)

simonprelude
27-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Not what I heard ;)

I'm interested in finding out about one of these (a rear no. plate surround NOT anyone elses saggy rear end!)

TheQuietOne
27-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Not what I heard ;)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Senninha
28-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Is this what you guys with the saggy behinds are looking for .... but in UK spec/size?

http://downforce.biz/cart/catalog/Rear-License-Plate-Bezel-p-16201.html

regards

simonprelude
28-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, that one looks UK size though somehow, sure it's not though :?:

Is this what you guys with the saggy behinds are looking for .... but in UK spec/size?

http://downforce.biz/cart/catalog/Rear-License-Plate-Bezel-p-16201.html

regards

Senninha
28-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Thats what I thought when I found it, but reading the text it says 'to give that european look' and doesn't offer the uk as compatible :cry:

Shame because it looks a good price!

I've emailed to ask ref UK fitment so will advise when I hear back.

regards

simonprelude
29-06-2006, 08:02 AM
It won't fit.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69389

Senninha
29-06-2006, 09:55 PM
response from Downforce;

Actually I won't make one for the Euro market because I don't have the Euro bumper to work off. I am afraid of guessing and trying to making something without actually having the actual bumper here. If I can get the bumper cover here I can make one.

So the obvious question is: Does anyone have a spare number plate surround?

regards

simonprelude
30-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Darren, calling Darren ???

Honda have told me it's integral to the bumper though, anyone have the EPG ??

Lankstarr
30-06-2006, 07:48 AM
If we are to go down the route of getting one made from a cast then could we ge one made from Carbon fibre? Maybe it wouldnt sag in the future?

ctrlaltdelboy
30-06-2006, 07:56 AM
sorry, my old bumper got binned

TheQuietOne
30-06-2006, 09:13 AM
I have the EPG but not sure where :cry: . Dan has a copy of mine too which I'm sure he is more organised than me with...I'll try PM'ing him or give him a call.

simonprelude
30-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Is it a UK EPG ??

The US one is no good as they don't have the number plate surround :(

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991-1992_parts_catalog/1-j12.jpg

ChrisR
30-06-2006, 11:06 AM
The part numbers (for all years) are (from EPC version 8.00):

Rear License Garnish 71506-SL0-G00 £127.65 + VAT
Rear License Garnish bracket 71505-SL0-G00ZZ £83.70 + VAT

I don't know if you need both parts?

There are no separate part numbers for different colours so I suppose they come unpainted.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

simonprelude
30-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Do you have any pictures ??

The part numbers (for all years) are (from EPC version 8.00):

Rear License Garnish 71506-SL0-G00 £127.65 + VAT
Rear License Garnish bracket 71505-SL0-G00ZZ £83.70 + VAT

I don't know if you need both parts?

There are no separate part numbers for different colours so I suppose they come unpainted.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

ChrisR
30-06-2006, 07:16 PM
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/12834rear_bumper-med.jpg

The garnish is part 3 and the bracket is part 4 on the schematic.

Chris.

Senninha
30-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Chris,

Excellent research!!

So the revised question is 'Does anyone have a spare Part 3'? Maybe from a kit install or does anyone know of a breaker?

AR, would you still have access to your IOP?

regards

forumadmin
01-07-2006, 08:24 AM
You know all that may be needed to straighten up the top of the garnish/bracket, is a flat bar of aluminium. The reason it sags is becuase the top side of the bracket is not attached to anything. A bar fixed across the top to stengthen it should straighten it out.

I would make one myself, but I'm going to be making a new bumper cover instead.

Lankstarr
03-07-2006, 06:49 AM
I would make one myself, but I'm going to be making a new bumper cover instead.

I made a front number plate mount for mine which makes it sit just below the nose and gets rid of that horrible black plastic thingy :wink:

I'm v interested on seeing what your effort for making a new cover looks like, may have a go myself but the saggy solution sounds like an easy fix for the time being thanks :lol:

Senninha
09-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Does anyone have a spare part we could use to get these made up? Would be looking to have them finshed in CF.

regards