PDA

View Full Version : major engine service

Danny Boy
30-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi those with NSX knowledge,
I`m about to start the recommisioning of my 3.2 manual NSX. It has done 48,500 and I`m planning on all fluids, filters, plugs and cam belt (probably do the water pump whilst its apart). I have read a couple of nasty looking posts regarding Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulleys coming off and chewing gears and butterfly screws falling out and getting eaten by the Pistons - are these things I should concern myself with and what course of action should be taken.

If there is anything else we should be addressing whilst under the bonnet please let me know.

Thanks, Dan.

Hagasan
30-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I`m about to start the recommisioning of my 3.2 manual NSX. It has done 48,500 and I`m planning on all fluids, filters, plugs and cam belt (probably do the water pump whilst its apart). I have read a couple of nasty looking posts regarding Harmonic Balancer/Crank Pulleys coming off and chewing gears and butterfly screws falling out and getting eaten by the Pistons - are these things I should concern myself with and what course of action should be taken.

If there is anything else we should be addressing whilst under the bonnet please let me know.

Thanks, Dan.

Erm.... getting your engine relocated to the correct location :rolleyes: just kidding

The post regarding the butterfly screws never met with much response...

Definitely go with all what you said as a known good starting point.

Senninha
30-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi Dan,

As you are doing the work yourself this suggests your 3.2 NSX may be a pre-facelift model? If yes, where have you been hiding it :dunno:?

a couple of other parts to consider whilst you're in amongst the oily bits would be;

- crankshaft pulley (you've mentioned it) - search for info within the Blog section under Kaz - a definite precautionary swap
- coolant hoses and clips if never replaced
- main relay - a precautionary swap and not expensive for peace of mind
- brake pipes if still OEM
- caliper overhaul - dependant upon whether your NSX has ever had its calipers overhauled

Hope all goes well, hope to see you out and about this year ...

regards, Paul

Thanks, Dan.

nobby
30-01-2012, 06:52 PM
best advice go through kaz's threads as well as Sudesh's refresh ... re crank pulley see tokyo-joe's recent failure defo a must. check condition of ignition coils etc too

Nick Graves
31-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Butterfly screws, it it?

Another reason for hypochondria!

Danny Boy
31-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Erm.... getting your engine relocated to the correct location :rolleyes: just kidding

What an amateur posting mistake!!!!

Just read through Kaz`es Crank Pulley threads - this will now be regarded as a service item and replaced.

Nope, I`m not tackling this work myself, but I have the option of securing the parts and just paying labour - I figure direct from Honda may be a bit steep - anyone suggest a good source? I note some comprehensive suppliers listed on the forum.

Thanks, Dan.

NSXGB
31-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Tim Poliniak
Internet Parts Sales
Acura of Peoria
www.oemacuraparts.com (http://www.oemacuraparts.com)

anyone suggest a good source?
Thanks, Dan.

Danny Boy
01-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the link NSXGB - may be TOO good..... the shopping list grows.....

Lankstarr
01-02-2012, 11:44 PM
What car you got then... Another new owner?

L*

Danny Boy
02-02-2012, 09:39 AM
What car you got then... Another new owner?

I have picked up AR`s Imola Orange 3.2 (yep, the one that was written off in 2006). The car itself drives well but lacks full history (I beleive the cam belt was changed at around 30,000 but I`m not taking any chances) so I`m going through the whole car, checking repairs, measuring etc.etc. before refreshing the paint etc.

I`ll be posting loads of pics and details once the work starts.

nigel
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria in Arizona over here in the states is by far the best place to get all the bits you need.
After shipping and fees it's still far less than HUK.

Cheers
nigel

Danny Boy
07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Tim Poliniak at Acura of Peoria in Arizona over here in the states is by far the best place to get all the bits you need.
After shipping and fees it's still far less than HUK.

Part order sorted and now winging its way accross the pond - very good company to work with - many thanks, Dan.