PDA

View Full Version : eBay selling advice

HondaHoward
06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Some of you will have seen that I've been trying to sell my 1993 Manual FHC in the for sale section. Basically I commute on the train and the family give me little opportunity to drive it at the weekend. :(

I've been advised to try eBay. Does anybody have any direct experience of doing this and specific advice? (selling cars on eBay in general not necessarily nsx's)

I'm thinking:

Do/Don't

eBay vs Top Marques/Autotrader (vs Ivan?; Hello Ivan)

What to say/what not to say

Workload (answering stupid questions and fending off spivs)

Scams

Success stories

When (wait till spring?)

Anything that might be useful to an eBay virgin :oops:

Many thanks

kevinpsw
06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
I have tried to sell a 1 year old BMW Convertible on ebay in the past and, even though I posted a very realistic reserve, 1k more than I eventually sold it for through Autotrader, it gained no bids in 2 attempts. It just attracted idiots, canvassers and scammers.

Therefore, put NO SCAMMERS and NO CANVASSERS in your advert and NO, I AM NOT GOING TO SEND YOU MONEY BACK IN EXCHANGE FOR A CONTERFEIT CHEQUE FOR MORE THAN THE SALE PRICE OF MY CAR.

Autotrader must be the best way to advertise. I find it hard to believe that anyone interested in finding an NSX wouldn't look there. I wouldn't bother with the print ad, just stick with the cheaper internet website post as the number of people looking for an NSX in your region's issue would be negligible. Top Marques would be better (issue every 2 weeks, national) but, again, most who would want an NSX would look on line.

On ebay stick in as much detail as you have on the service history + loads of pictures and stick it on for 9 days so more people might see it.

I can only remember seeing 2 NSXs sell on ebay in 7 months, a 1991 manual with a new clutch and cambelt service for 10k and a 1995 manual for <19k. I have seen many others (>10) attract either no bids at all or not reach their reserve. Therefore, don't expect to sell your car for anything other than a bargain price on the auction. But you might just find that ebay is a cheap way of placing a detailed ad.

People say the Spring is a good time to sell a car but an NSX is not just any car, only enthusiasts would be interested.

Hope this is helpful.

glenlewis
08-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Ebay blows goats .....

Put it on the *** car forums.

Good luck,

Glen

HondaHoward
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys - valuable advice. Just what I was looking for.