PDA

View Full Version : 6-Spd gearbox upgrade?

mutley
13-02-2012, 11:07 AM
HI All,

Yes before anyone asks, I know I haven't been on here much these days, but I am still alive, and still have my NSX that refuses to die, and I also refuse to give up in it.

I have a weird noise coming from the back end, that I have narrowed down to the possible diff/GB or possible driveshaft/CV joints. I think I have read on here a while ago about upgrading to the 6 spd manual box.

Has any one done that? it is a matter of plug and play (old box off - new box on). The reason I ask, I believe the newer cars with 6 spd have a single clutch system, where as my one is the older twin cluch. So would I have to change the clutch too??

Cheers
Jim

NSXGB
13-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Hi Jim,
There are a few of us that have the 6 Speed conversion. You are correct, the NA2 cars have a single plate clutch which you could convert to, or you could change your input shaft to the Type-R which will enable you to run the double plate clutch. You will also need a lockout solenoid controller to stop you selecting reverse accidentally, there are a couple of ways of achieving this. The gearbox will bolt straight on though.
It's a nice conversion and you can upgrade to the 4.25 final drive while you are there. Gonna cost you though...

AR
13-02-2012, 01:02 PM
IMHO it would not be worth the money unless you can get the box quite cheap.

mutley
13-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah, unfortuneatley I know there are going to be costs involved, so I am just exloring options at the moment. If I hunt around for an old 5-spd box, then it'ss still be old and could go aas well. the 6-spd will be a bit newer and maybe last a bit longer?? also will help with the mordernisation a bit.

So the box bolts on but still needs a few other bits, Hmmmm might have to start pricing this up. If it is going to be too much I'll just go for second hand or recon this box option. I am not even sure it IS my box/diff yet, neeed to do a bit more investigating, but not sure how I can replicate the noice withought driving the car!

Jim

NSXGB
13-02-2012, 04:32 PM
IIRC Jim, your box had snap ring failure and you didn't replace the g/box housing so if I were in your shoes, I would replace the box anyway. A 5sp box won't be too hard to come by.
Maybe keep a look out for a 5sp box with JDM gears, that's a nice upgrade, a lot cheaper for the box, no lock out solenoid controller required and uses the same clutch as you have.

goldnsx
13-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I've you're going to replace the gearbox anyway and buy a used one, why not open it up and tune and refresh it? A 5-speed is a reasonable way. That's how I would do it. A tuned 5 speed with japanese gearing and FD 4.23 is faster than a stock 6 speed up to 100 mph, well, not by much. A 6 speed is only good for the German Autobahn because you have 3 instead of 2 gears above 100 mph.

mutley
13-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys, today i done some homework, and all of the above are options really. It will be a project for me to get my teeth into in the summer, but also means that I'll have to miss Japfest this year.
Not sure if i'll end up with another 5 spd or 6 spd, no doubt i'll go for the esiest option, or what ever I find first.

Jim

Silver Surfer
13-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi Jim,

I'll may have a good 5 speed box from a 93 for sale soon if you are interested....;)

SS

Tokyo-Joe
14-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your gearbox issues Jim, fingers crossed you find a bargain. Out of curiosity what is the ballpark figure on the six speed conversion?

NSXGB
14-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Difficult to put a price on the conversion as it depends how far you want to go & your clutch options . A good second hand box will be £2.5k roughly.

Sorry to hear about your gearbox issues Jim, fingers crossed you find a bargain. Out of curiosity what is the ballpark figure on the six speed conversion?

duncan
14-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Your friend ebay, 6 speeder for £2,050
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NS-X-6-SPEED-GEARBOX-ASSY-/260569430017?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cab25f801#ht_963wt_1095
usual disclaimers,
it's been on the market for some while, but then only a Honda dealer would list it under NS-X rather than NSX.

NSXGB
14-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that must have been for sale about a year now, suggests that it needs a rebuild though.

Your friend ebay, 6 speeder for £2,050
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NS-X-6-SPEED-GEARBOX-ASSY-/260569430017?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cab25f801#ht_963wt_1095
usual disclaimers,
it's been on the market for some while, but then only a Honda dealer would list it under NS-X rather than NSX.

nigel
23-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Chris at SoS in California sells an adapter for the twin to single clutch conversion i'm sure a lot cheaper than the Type-R adapter from HUK.
As "goldnsx" says it might be better to do a 4.23 five speed gear upgrade and if yours is a "snap ring" transmission Tim from Acura of Peoria in Arizona can get you sorted on the case update. I still haven't been able to beat his prices even with freight and VAT.
Seems there should be a breaker somewhere with a six speed if you really want one for a lot less than 2,000 quid.
If your complete box is rubbish SS might be the way to go with his '93 box and you can do the build as time allows.
I have a "snap ring" transmission with no problems but when time and money allow the case and 4.23 upgrade are in store for me before it does c@ck up.

Cheers
nigel

mutley
23-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, it certainly food for thought, although if I can get a chance to properly give my car a good examination, then maybe I can find out what is actually wrong.

I'll keep you posted on any developments.
Cheers

Jim

Hagasan
06-04-2012, 11:50 AM
For anyone interested the 6-speed box that's been up on ebay for the last year and more has been dropped in price to £1500 or offers.... It had been £2050. Options to get this running in an earlier 3.0 car would be fitting straight in with a Science of Speed sport clutch or opening it up to change the input shaft and continuing with the OEM twin-plate one.

Not a bad price considering the rarity of them s/h. The second gear issue they comment on may just be the usual 1st to 2nd reluctance when the box is stone cold. It goes away once warmed up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260569430017?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hagasan
16-04-2012, 06:27 PM
So who was "cheeky" enough to pick this up at this bargain price? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260569430017?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Almost a steal!!

nigel
16-04-2012, 09:11 PM
That's a good price if it isn't knackered.

Cheers
nigel