PDA

View Full Version : New Owner...at long last

Problem Child
17-02-2012, 08:11 PM
The tension has been unbearable but at long last S366 HCG 1998 Red 3.2 manual Targa NA2 (with pop ups) finally became mine at 2pm today. Owner was gutted to be selling it, but consoled himself as he knows its gone to a good home.

Drove back to Bucks along A5/ M54/M6/ M42 and M40 with many admiring glances along the way. Stopped off in Warwick services for a natural break and came back out to see a crowd around it including some rozzers! Very good for the ego!

Got to know my NSX a little bit and have decided not to ruin its 90's charm and will keep the original centre console and cassette player as it has the NSX multichanger. A double din touch screen twatnav, blueteeth and MP3 would be crass. Also got to understand its performance a little bit by playing with the porkers, beemers etc on the motorways. Didnt push it too hard, but did enough to realise why you guys go on about the NSX soooooo much. Got to hear that lovely VTEC noise as I got onto the winding buckinghamshire lanes nearer home..........Christ I am so glad I bought an NSX. Even my wife, who previously didnt get it, admits its beautiful!

Got it home and all the street have been over to look at it and all my elder sons mates have come to see it. Theres a crowd of spotty teenagers out in the driveway as we speak

I drove every mile with a huge grin, still smiling now!

Can't wait to go out in it tomorrow again and then off to the South East mini meet on Sunday. Will issue some pics over the next few days.......See Y'all Sunday

Geraint
17-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Congrats on the purchase :cool:

NSXs are nice, aren't they? :laugh:

Problem Child
17-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Brilliant, wish I had bought one earlier!

amo
17-02-2012, 10:24 PM
congrats mate hope you enjoy it as much as us
thx amo

AR
17-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Congratulations but, where are the pictures???

Papalazarou
17-02-2012, 11:37 PM
An iPod connector's worth having. You can hide it away in the middle bit.

Cheers,

James.

Problem Child
17-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Its more blueteeth and twat nav I want.......hate Apple/ Ipod even more than I dislike Microsoft

Problem Child
18-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Pictures tomorrow. Just looking out the window at it now (as I do every 10 minutes), Tried some in the dark but didnt work

Hondaboy
18-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Well done mate enjoy it your going to love all the attention it gets, I was in my local Honda dealer today for some coolant ended up chatting for half hour to the girl at parts desk about it and when she took my details only had to put nsx on her notepad no reg number or anything that's how exclusive it is:cool:

kingsley
18-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Hi Geoff

Enjoy and have fun, great car , is red starting to grow on you now?

Kingsley

Dragonlady
18-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Welcome to the owners club, the only challenge that you now have is keeping your license as you will just want to hear that brevity noise all the time :).

Have fun and hope to see you at one of the meets.

Sharon

WhyOne?
18-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Well done Geoff - great to hear from a new & genuinely smitten owner.

Fully agree with your conclusion that the interior should stay as Honda (circa 1980's) intended, cassette player & all! 'Stick-to the windscreen' satnav is the way forward!

I remember back to when I first got mine (over 5 years ago now!!!) I kept popping out to have a quick look & had to pinch myself each time to convince myself it was mine!

I am now quite sure that car is mine, but I still pop out to look at it every now and again!

Papalazarou
18-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Its more blueteeth and twat nav I want.......hate Apple/ Ipod even more than I dislike Microsoft

What's to hate about an iPod connector? It just allows you to listen to more music without removing the original stereo. It's got to be a massive improvement over the CD changer.

Cheers,

James.

Problem Child
18-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Just not a fan of all the hype behind apple...style over substance and all that stuff.........might have to give in to one though

Geraint
18-02-2012, 12:15 PM
There's plenty of substance imo, but haters gonna hate... :rolleyes:

Where are the pics then? Is your camera broken? :P

Chris B N
18-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Congrats, you've already joined the can't get the grin of my face brigade
hope to see the car in the flesh at Japfest
Cheers Chris

Tokyo-Joe
18-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Congrats, enjoy your new toy :)

Remember to check if the timing belt AND crank pulley were replaced, I mean really check don't just guess!

Problem Child
18-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Planning to do Japfest
Booking it into Honda MK (on Sorepaws recommendation) for cam belt, crank pulley, water pump etc etc etc next week. That hurt but was factored into the purchase price, but still hurts but will be a worthwhile investment

Got some pics and will post later as I am going out to get a few more whilst its still light

Problem Child
18-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Red is great........I love it!

I just drove through Aylesbury town centre today and had people waving at the car and giving it the thumbs up.

Drove past a pub in the town centre and they waved me down to talk to me about it. I have gained lots of new friends in it today. I cant stop smiling! Even spoke to my next door neighbour today when he came across for a look (I didnt even know his name before. TBH he only moved in 2 weeks ago). Took it to the golf club too and everyone came out for a look. Was pleased that I was able to make it over the speedbumps on the way in (that would have been embarassing!).

Took it to Honda Aylesbury too and they all came out for a look. Nice crowd but not letting them near it! It'll be going to Letchworth or MK for its servicing and maintenance.

What I love most about it is that it doesnt just put a smile on my face but everyone who sees it. For some reason NSX's seem to have that effect on people!

jpspringall
18-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Congratulations......

As far as MP3/iPod I went for the Grom Audio MP3 CD Changer Connector, so hidden in the boot :-)

James

Hagasan
18-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Red is great........I love it!

I just drove through Aylesbury town centre today and had people waving at the car and giving it the thumbs up.

Drove past a pub in the town centre and they waved me down to talk to me about it. I have gained lots of new friends in it today. I cant stop smiling! Even spoke to my next door neighbour today when he came across for a look (I didnt even know his name before. TBH he only moved in 2 weeks ago). Took it to the golf club too and everyone came out for a look. Was pleased that I was able to make it over the speedbumps on the way in (that would have been embarassing!).

Took it to Honda Aylesbury too and they all came out for a look. Nice crowd but not letting them near it! It'll be going to Letchworth or MK for its servicing and maintenance.

What I love most about it is that it doesnt just put a smile on my face but everyone who sees it. For some reason NSX's seem to have that effect on people!

Congrats on getting your car Geoff.

Not sure if you are aware and I don't know the policy of Honda MK but NW are more than happy to supply labour only on NSX work. What this means is that you can make substantial savings on sourcing your TB, water pump and crank pulley from Acura dealer amongst other fom the USA. This really can save a fortune as USA prices are quite easily half the price or less and even factoring duties etc

One example is the Oil Pan. £450 UK, £250 delivered from the US.

Try comparing the prices using lings.com for UK and acurapartwarehouse.com for the US

Just a thought...

Problem Child
18-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks Hagasan, I was aware of NW willing to allow me to source parts & am having same chat with Honda MK. FYI for a comparison of prices:

NW

acurapartswarehouse.com (USD)

13811PR7A02

PULLEY COMP., CRANKSHAFT

£ 362.92

£ 362.92

14400PR7A01

BELT, TIMING (UNITTA)

£ 106.94

£ 106.94

14510PR7A01

ADJUSTER COMP., TIMING BELT

£ 125.05

£ 125.05

14516PR7A00

SPRING COMP., TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 5.92

£ 5.92

19200PR7A03

PUMP ASSY., WATER

£ 260.88

£ 260.88

90016P0GA00

BOLT, SPECIAL TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 7.17

£ 7.17

90019PR7A01

BOLT-WASHER, 16X49

£ 17.70

£ 17.70

RUBBER, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 1.68

£ 1.68

90501MB7610

WASHER, 10.3X25

£ 1.70

£ 1.70

90704PH7000

KEY, SPECIAL

£ 4.61

£ 4.61

DOWEL PIN, 6X10

£ 1.07

£ 2.14

£ 896.71

Total USD

Exch to £

£ 489.39

£ 179.34

VAT

£ 97.88

£ 1,076.05

Total

£ 587.27

Damn....It appears that acurapartswarehouse.com do not ship outside US. Sounds like s short trip to the US might be in order. If I do this, does anyone else want any parts....might as well make the best value mof such a trip!

TheSebringOne
18-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Congratulations Geoff on your new P & J! Enjoy it for many years to come.

Hagasan
19-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Geoff, get in contact with my man at Findlay Acura in Henderson Nevada. His name is Nick Terrey or as you have my number give me a bell and I can maybe sort the order out through him with you if you want. He ships stuff to me and has done for the last couple of years. I usually just speak to him but email as well. Obviously this would mean a delay of a few weeks but as you can see the savings are not to be sniffed at for us of the so called tighter wads :no:

I think it will cost based on your prices given,

£489.39 + £48.95 (10% import duty) + shipping guessing $70 so £47 = £585.34 + vat = £702.41

It's still a decent saving though. Remember buying if in the US will probably attract local purchase tax at the point of sale of 6-9% typically

Guess it's then seeing if you can walk through customs no probs... ;)

Gary

Geraint
19-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Try oemacuraparts.com - I've bought parts from there for my Integra & had them shipped to the UK no problem.

They list the water pump at $219.69 and the crankshaft pulley at $228.61.

nobby
19-02-2012, 11:24 PM
congrats on the final purchase

with regards to ur quote below ... RAFLMAO!

i think having a cassette player in a car is the ultimate 'crass' statement

have decided not to ruin its 90's charm and will keep the original centre console and cassette player as it has the NSX multichanger. A double din touch screen twatnav, blueteeth and MP3 would be crass.

WhyOne?
20-02-2012, 09:18 AM
....i think having a cassette player in a car is the ultimate 'crass' statement

I think this is a very peculiar comment.

Why is leaving the interior of the car as Honda intended in any way 'crass' (let alone the 'ultimate' in crassness?)

I, like several others here, simply prefer to keep the car looking OEM. Whilst in my case this is just personal choice and nothing to do with preserving/enhancing the value of my car, looking at more established 'classics', the originality appears to be a in important factor in differentiating values - push button Motorola MW radios & 8-track players are highly sought after!

Nick Graves
20-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Even my S2000 came with a cassette player. I don't believe Honda yet fits DAB units as standard. They've got to try FM units first.

It's one of their most annoying faults.

It's actually now part of the car's charm, in the same way patina is very 'in' currently; they spent so much money on it, and epically failed to update it & wondered why they sold so few.

I can understand people wanting an upgrade, but the results usually look crass - rough quality, ergonomically flawed and anachronistic. If Honda had provided an aftermarket double-din centre console panel, then one might have more of a chance. Or put a decent Gathers option into the thing themselves.

Actually, in Germany, there are upgraded classic Becker radio sets available, so your classis M-B doesn't look stupid but has MOSFETs & dongles & even sat-nav & stuff. That would be a better way to go.

Geraint
20-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I think part of the problem is that many aftermarket stereos look crass, and out of keeping with understated interiors - too much brushed chrome, blue LED lighting, and crap ergonomics.

I'd be happy to trade my cassette player for something more modern, if a solution were available that was in keeping with the rest of the car and didn't involve carving up a £900 plastic panel. In the meantime I'll live with my retro-chic OEM unit and hidden ipod interface...

nobby
20-02-2012, 03:02 PM
imho the pioneer unit that i purchased for my car did not have alot of the issues you find with modern units ... folding screens, blue led etc. the pioneer does everything well and everyone that sees it comments on how well it fits in the car. plus my centre console has not been butchered in anyway to fit it.

i use my car ... want to do trips in europe etc (already done switz & germany) ... the pioneer was brilliant ... yes we had maps etc but the key thing being no satnavs stuck to windows etc which to my mind look awful in the car ... an integrated solution is more befitting the car.

i enjoy my audio in the car too much for 'old' style equipment and understand those that want to keep originality, but for me i need the modern solutions to fit my needs in my cars.

I think part of the problem is that many aftermarket stereos look crass, and out of keeping with understated interiors - too much brushed chrome, blue LED lighting, and crap ergonomics.

I'd be happy to trade my cassette player for something more modern, if a solution were available that was in keeping with the rest of the car and didn't involve carving up a £900 plastic panel. In the meantime I'll live with my retro-chic OEM unit and hidden ipod interface...

WhyOne?
20-02-2012, 04:26 PM
imho the pioneer unit that i purchased for my car did not have alot of the issues you find with modern units ... folding screens, blue led etc. the pioneer does everything well and everyone that sees it comments on how well it fits in the car. plus my centre console has not been butchered in anyway to fit it.

i use my car ... want to do trips in europe etc (already done switz & germany) ... the pioneer was brilliant ... yes we had maps etc but the key thing being no satnavs stuck to windows etc which to my mind look awful in the car ... an integrated solution is more befitting the car.

i enjoy my audio in the car too much for 'old' style equipment and understand those that want to keep originality, but for me i need the modern solutions to fit my needs in my cars.

Yes, yes.......but "...the ultimate crass statement."?

nobby
20-02-2012, 05:00 PM
the ultimate crass is having a 'cassette player' ... effectively the worst form of media ... thus one still in a car in 2012 is a painful thought even if u dont use it! :)

Problem Child
20-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Yes, Yes Yes.....I'm a jock so my choice ofwords was poor. You've got to remember English isnt our first language!

I saw few NSX's at the weekend at our South East mini meet and they had DD's installed and looked good so it has made me think again............dont know what to do

L696ULO
20-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Everyone has their reasons for changing or leaving depending on their individualities. Geoff, you have an ideal opportunity of putting your individuality on your car whether its a Bluetooth, iPod adaptor or going the whole hog. Probably best to take your time and glean info from other owners and choose the best for you.
First and foremost is to get your cam belt etc done and take her over 3500 revs and enjoy !

Rich

Nick Graves
20-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Compact cassettes used to be OK-ish. Except when they introduced CDs, they started making the tape so thin it stretched on the first play. Notice how incandescent bulb life is pathetic these days? Been there...

I do understand the desire for integrated Sat-Nav. But it'd need to be correctly placed in a JDM module; having a sky-facer down by one's knee is a tad unergonomic.

Also, the functionality of my Snooper (or other lick n' sticks) generally pisses on the integrated ones from a great height, from what I've seen. I can also move it across four cars, which is a wee bit cheaper...the ease of updating the Scamera d-base...

My usual other beef; these expensive units are described as having a 'receiver' in them, but it doesn't do DAB or +. So it might as well only pick up Luxembourg & the Light Channel.

I know many prefer their audio compressed into little digital blocks (and laugh at CCs!), which is fine, but I cannot pretend most of the units on sale are modern when they clearly aren't.

Problem Child
20-02-2012, 08:23 PM
One really smart setup at yesterdays South Eastern mini meet was a Parrot phone kit installed in the space where the ashtray would normally sit. Close the lid and you'd never know its there. Although this doesnt resolve the twatnav issue, it does avoid chopping up your centre console and is very neat.

I looked at the latest Parrot kits and found the Mki9100 and MKi9200 which also stream music from your phone/ Ipod/ Iphone to your hifi using bt and/ or cables and is controlled via a small battery powered RF controller you attach to the steering wheel.......very clever......about £150. The Mki9100 is a smaller, monochrome display and the Mki9200 has a slightly larger colour screen to show you caller ID and album art.

Nick Graves
20-02-2012, 08:30 PM
The Snooper S2000 (they don't make an NSX) has Bt & so I can shout at it when someone interrupts my peace. It doesn't work terribly well int the S2000 with the roof down, ironically.

But I think it can do MP3-type stuff too. I haven't found out how you get it into the stereo without a hardwire, though.

Chris B N
21-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I plug my Walkman into a small FM transmitter ( cost around £30) tune into an unused FM wavelength and there you go.
Downside is that on a long journey you may have to change wavelength

markc
21-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Congats on the purchase Geoff :cool:

I have to say the people of Aylesbury seem to be a very friendly, and it has to be said somewhat easily impressed bunch ;) My car is metallic orange and the townsfolk of Lightwater/Bagshot/Windlesham don't seem to bat an eyelid when I drive past 'em :)

Personally I don't think anyone NEEDS integrated sat nav in ANY car. Maybe 1 in 20(?) journeys are undertaken where the destination isn't already well known to the driver and so a portable unit is not only massively cheaper but, in my experience of the built in systems, works better. My basic Garmin Nuvi 250 does the trick beautifully and can be shared between the daily bus Merc, which has a (older) built in nav system and the NSX, Puma, Citroen, TT and Westfield (if it ever gets finished).

I use an older Blitzsafe unit (http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/honda/hon-/-m-link1-v-2x/prod_192.html) which works well to integrate my old iPod Classic (80Gb, I'm all about the capacity) into the factory stereo.

There's an excellent thread on NSX Prime discussing the various factory stereo integration units here... http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121560

GROM Audio can supply an MP3/ipod/etc integration unit to the factory audio system and a little add-on to add Bluetooth as well. Lookee here...
http://www.gromaudio.com/usb.html and here... http://gromaudio.com/store/grom_accessories/cable-btd.html

I look forward to seeing you and your car at somepoint this year. Maybe Silverstone at the "Classic" race weekend?

Cheers

Mark

Hagasan
21-02-2012, 06:29 PM
I flew over Thame this afternoon (above the south end of the glider runway/train station area) having a look but couldn't see any red NSX's gleaming down below..

Problem Child
21-02-2012, 06:57 PM
You are in the right part of the county but it was safely tucked up in the garage.

As pointed out in an earlier thread my immediate priority is cam belt, water pump, private reg (LOL) etc

philiprambo
22-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing the great stuff.

Problem Child
23-02-2012, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=oneillg1201;90764]Thanks Hagasan, I was aware of NW willing to allow me to source parts & am having same chat with Honda MK. FYI for a comparison of prices:

NW

acurapartswarehouse.com (USD)

13811PR7A02

PULLEY COMP., CRANKSHAFT

£ 362.92

£ 362.92

14400PR7A01

BELT, TIMING (UNITTA)

£ 106.94

£ 106.94

14510PR7A01

ADJUSTER COMP., TIMING BELT

£ 125.05

£ 125.05

14516PR7A00

SPRING COMP., TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 5.92

£ 5.92

19200PR7A03

PUMP ASSY., WATER

£ 260.88

£ 260.88

90016P0GA00

BOLT, SPECIAL TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 7.17

£ 7.17

90019PR7A01

BOLT-WASHER, 16X49

£ 17.70

£ 17.70

RUBBER, TIMING BELT ADJUSTER

£ 1.68

£ 1.68

90501MB7610

WASHER, 10.3X25

£ 1.70

£ 1.70

90704PH7000

KEY, SPECIAL

£ 4.61

£ 4.61

DOWEL PIN, 6X10

£ 1.07

£ 2.14

£ 896.71

Total USD

Exch to £

£ 489.39

£ 179.34

VAT

£ 97.88

£ 1,076.05

Total

£ 587.27

Added the cam cover seals and just about to order all of the above from Tim Poliniak at oemacuraparts.com for £690 including shipping as I am about to have the cam belt and water pump changed. Is there anything else I should get done at the same time?

NSXGB
24-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Is there anything else I should get done at the same time?

Spark plugs (should be able to source cheap enough in the UK)
Thermostat if no record of it being changed (as you'll be draining the coolant)
A/C & Alt belts if not replaced recently (they'll be coming off too)

kingsley
24-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi Geoff.

If you order the spark plugs you really need to order a set of coils as well. I may give you a call over the weekend as I may order the same as my belt needs changing next year so I may as well do pulley and water pump at the same time.

Kingsley

britlude
24-02-2012, 04:15 PM
sparkplugs from sparkplugs.com (http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1000854 if it works)

NGK
Double Platinum (http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1000854)
PFR6G-11

DOHC
$12.06

and while you are there.... O2 sensors.... http://www.ngk.com/results_cross.asp?pid=24172 (looks like the same site???)

NGK
OE identical O2 sensor
$53.85

(it is the same!!! http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=24172&x=54&y=10 )

sometimes the sparkplugs come up cheap on ebay, but not often!!!

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-02-2012, 01:07 PM
OEM NGK platinum spark plug is good for about 60K miles but quite often, you will need to replace it earlier once the insulator started to show dark brown rusty marking just above the metal HEX area. Light brown colour is OK but be prepared to replace them in the near future.

No need to replace the IG coil when replacing the spark plug.
The most common failure mode is the corroded metal plate cracking the coil head internally (therefore, you can’t see it) especially at the rear bank.
It will cause misfire and I’m afraid, you can’t always check this using the multi-meter as you can only check the primary side.
You need IG dyno for properly checking it.

You can prevent this by replacing the rubber seal at the IG coil cover and applying silicone grease regularly at the seal and the metal plate.
Otherwise, every time when you wash your NSX or driving in the wet condition, the water will enter the rear bank IG coil area.

Please be careful with the spec of your IG coil.
For full spec misfire detection required by OBD-2, the later model has 3pin style IG coil whereas the earlier models (OBD-1) are equipped with 2pin one.

If you are lucky enough to have the 3pin style IG coil, you can order the 6 x IG coil (3pin style) + 6 x Spark Plug as a complete kit at a bargain price from US.
Parts no.: 06300-PR7-305
Just over US$110 inc. discount for a complete set of these 12 parts…. Unbelievable….

I’m afraid so far, I haven’t found the equivalent kit for the 2pin style IG coil....
Very expensive if bought individually…. If someone knows such kit for 2pin style IG coil, greatly appreciated to share the info.

By the way, if you just want the spark plug, I normally buy it from http://www.camskill.co.uk/.
Just about GBP54 for six NGK OEM spark plugs delivered. Please check the spec of your spark plug when placing the order.

Kaz

NSXGB
25-02-2012, 03:21 PM
At the moment you can get a set of NGK PFR6G-11 platinum plugs for £44.30 delivered on eBay.

britlude
25-02-2012, 04:02 PM
carrying on from the slight aside (as threads often wander!!!)

i'm guessing the 3 wire OBDII coils have a pair of coil supply wires and a sense wire whereas the OBD1 have just the pair of coil supply wires... just thinking if the mountings are the same that a set of 6 adapter wires can't be too difficult to make....

Nick Graves
25-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Women leather?

Does that spammer think he's Hannibal F ucking Lector? Moron.

Silver Surfer
25-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Women leather?

Does that spammer think he's Hannibal F ucking Lector? Moron.

:eek: ???:overhead:

SS