PDA

View Full Version : Question about C30a ecu-s

marvalge22
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey all.

I bought a NSX engine for my project and now have run into a problem. The engine (manual with clutch) is from a 96 NSX. No idea if a NA1 or 2 as it was from a nother project car and it did not come with the ECU.

My question is what ecu will i need as i have read all 95-96 NA1 were allready OBD2 but the PR7 ecu most are selling is 92-95 NSX and it is OBD1.

Hope someone can help me out. Also how bad would it run with a C32b ecu ?

Hagasan
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi,

I can give you a rough guide. Another member, Kaz, will possibly give you more speific information when he see your post.....

If you are in the UK you may have bought Tony in Kent's engine?

If the engine came from a UK car and was built in 1996 it will be an NA1 engine. 3.0L engined cars are known as NA1 and ALL 3.2's are NA2, not just the Facelift cars as some think.

A UK 96 engine would be a Drive by Wire (DBW) throttle but OBDI. On the car you would quickly see this by just two pre-CAT Lambda sensors whereas the NA2 being OBDII has both pre & post CAT sensors. The USA went on to OBDII from 95 onwards but not the UK. Maybe other counties did too ie. Japan but I am not 100% sure.

As for ECU's. The C32 won't work because the fueling will all be wrong and it's looking for the other Lambda sensor inputs etc. It may run but won't be right.

I think it may depend on the engine wiring loom you have as well. If it is a 96 UK spec then it may not be fully wired for OBDII but even if it was, a cheaper and easier to find US spec 95-96 ECU may be set for different octane fuel? Did you get the throttle body with the engine? Your correct options I believe are either proper UK DBW/95-96 ECU or going back to a 01-94 Cable ThrottleBody with the corresponding ECU.

Hope this help a little?

Hey all.

I bought a NSX engine for my project and now have run into a problem. The engine (manual with clutch) is from a 96 NSX. No idea if a NA1 or 2 as it was from a nother project car and it did not come with the ECU.

My question is what ecu will i need as i have read all 95-96 NA1 were allready OBD2 but the PR7 ecu most are selling is 92-95 NSX and it is OBD1.

Hope someone can help me out. Also how bad would it run with a C32b ecu ?

marvalge22
08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Well i dont know much about the history but the last owner said it was from a project but as owner passed away the engine was sold. I bought it from the new owner from Kent. The engine is still in the UK. Well ill be going to pick it up next month. At the moment just doing some more homework

First time for me dealing with C series engines so just by reading NSX prime i assumed it was OBD2. Last i heard from the person who picked the engine up for me it was almost a complete engine....was missing the alternator.

Ill ask for better pictures from my relatives in the UK as the only pictures i got at the moment are from the seller.http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/Deadboy48/accord/Mootor1.jpg <BR>http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/Deadboy48/accord/mootor4.jpg

thx for the info. Now i know that i might have to rework my cars OBD2 wiring so it will work with OBD1

nobby
08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
based on the head etc in that pic thats an NA1 engine so should be OBD1 and not 2

marvalge22
08-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I get that part that it is a NA1 .....question was about OBD.

Well might it be a OBD2 but wothout the OBD2 plug ? I know that the 2000 Accord coupe is OBD2 but has the OBD1 service plug under the dash. ECU looks OBD2.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-03-2012, 04:35 PM
First, I think you need to separate the notion of OBD-2 from the engine size or the number of O2 sensors.

For example, all of the AT NSX models are using C30A (NA1) engine up to the final production year of 2005 and some of them are indeed OBD-2 and others are not, depending on the year/country spec.

Same for the C32B (NA2). Some are OBD-2, others are not.
So, there is no relation between the OBD sepc and the engine size for our NSX.

Having four O2 sensors doesn’t mean it’s full OBD-2 compliant.
There are NSX models with four O2 sensors but not meeting the OBD-2 requirement and thus, no data port in the cabin.
In fact, one of the requirements for the OBD-2 is to position the data port within a specific distance from the driver seat and accessible without the use of a tool.

You can check the original engine spec from the engine no..
It’s engraved under/near the TH body and depending on the year model, it would be close to the rear bank VTEC spool valve or towards the front bank near the water temp sender unit.
It will start as C30A-***** or C32B-***** so at least you will know the engine size immediately.

The engine in the photo shows the presence of the CL so looked to be the MT spec but it could be the AT one installed with the MT GBox.
There are several different parts used between MT and AT spec engine such as the cam shafts and thus, different ECU control required.

With too little information about your project car, it is not possible to provide you with a specific info but if you are thinking of modifying the engine in the future, it could be a better investment to go for the aftermarket ECU.
If you are going for the OEM ECU, you must carefully check what is available and what is missing from your chassis.
Not sure whether you have reliable source for the modification of the chassis/engine loom but it could be quite big task as INJ spec, IG coil, TH Body, idle control, etc are different depending on the year/country spec.

Kaz

marvalge22
01-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Ok i got some more info on it. Also Thx for the info Kaz. I know its a 3.0 model i just wanted info on the OBD. I got better pictures of the engine and the code on it.
The code on the engine is C30a3 and it is missing the TB ...amm well at least part of the intake is missing i think or at least look like it. Also missing the altenator and the wiring on the eingine is DIY and DIY PS ? looks like it lol:D

Engine is going into a coupe accord that had the J30a1 (also a V6 ) in it. So i will have to use most parts from the engine i have on the car. The altenator (if it fits), TB ....dont think that will work. I am hoping that the wiring i can use the same as on the car at the moment. Only thing i need to find now is a manual transmission. Really hope that the engine internals are not ....well i hope i did not buy a lemon.

what i got:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/Deadboy48/accord/DSCN0164.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh141/Deadboy48/accord/DSCN0166.jpg

Anyone know anything about the history of this engine ....let me know. :)

FunkyNSX
03-04-2012, 01:59 AM
You've got ask yourself why was it removed in the first place.
Unless the previous owner swaped it for a built engine, i would say the odds are somethings wrong with it.
With no history on it , i would rebuild it to make sure the internals are fine.
I would also get a AEM EMS for your ecu.
Cheap and come with 80% of the tuning required.