PDA

View Full Version : Insurance WTF ??

simonprelude
09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
OK, the NSX has been sat in my garage uninsured for a month, I say that now as it is now insured.

Got a quote I was happy with but decided to leave it until after Christmas / New Year etc. Phoned them up today, sorry sir the quote ran out yesterday I will just get you a new quote.

OK Insurance varies day to day so that didn't worry me too much, but when they come back with a quote 3 times the original one I politely said no and went back to a popular Insurance search facility.

Get this, same company come back with the same underwriter at pretty much the same price as the quote 31 days ago.

Rang them back gave credit card details and all happy now.

Insurance certificate arrives tomorrow.

Senninha
09-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Sounds like your broker was trying to earn some early new year bonus to pay off Xmas debts .... glad to hear you're NSX is insured properly again.

banzaicars
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
On the subject of insurance, I am really surprised how cheap the NSX is to insure;

I get mine next week (96 NSX-T manual) and was very surprised with a quote of £450.

I'm 33 with full NCB, car's garaged and living in Norfolk.

I'm well happy as both my current cars cost less to insure than the STi 8 I had previously

NSA
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Churchill (£800, 2nd car, garaged, Nottingham, 8yrs NCB) say I need to provide proof that the car has a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser to validate my theft cover. Honda says the insurance company should know exactly what was standard at manufacture.

If my original NSX key fob has "CAT 1" written on it, does this mean the immobiliser is CAT 1 for insurance purposes?

Thanks.

simonprelude
09-01-2006, 02:59 PM
You will need a certificate of conformity, alarms and immobilsers need a new certificate every x years also, insurance companies can insist on seeing this before giving you insurance, or on making a claim.

Churchill (£800, 2nd car, garaged, Nottingham, 8yrs NCB) say I need to provide proof that the car has a Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser to validate my theft cover. Honda says the insurance company should know exactly what was standard at manufacture.

If my original NSX key fob has "CAT 1" written on it, does this mean the immobiliser is CAT 1 for insurance purposes?

Thanks.

Baz
09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I currently insure my Nissan 350Z with Liverpool Victoria - 2006 quote is £560. 58 years old, living in Suffolk, car in driveway. Out of interest I asked them to quote me for an NSX as I am hoping to make a change in the not too distant future. Guess what - £937!! Group 22 they say! Where to I go for a sensible quote?

Ian.M
09-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I have just insured mine through Budget I went through confused.com all done on line with 8 year NCB, £272 and I am 53 living in Southampton. Group 20 I thought.

Hope this helps

banzaicars
09-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Incidently, I got my qoute through Norwich Union Direct via Confused.com.

The car details only gave me the choice of NSX Coupe. With mine being a Targa is there any difference for insurance purposes?

I would like to hear what the Targa owners think.

Thanks

Keith

Bigjon
09-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Try Priveledge they gave me a quote of £452 for a 31 year old living in torquay with the car on a driveway. I was suprised as that is only £12 more than my Impreza (which is for sale by the way if anyone is interested).

Baz
09-01-2006, 05:44 PM
What's wrong with me then!
Tried confused.com which came up with quotes ranging from £893 up to £1571!! Remember, I'm 58 and live in sleepy Suffolk.

Lankstarr
09-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I have always found that Elephant online give a good quote -
£1562 for a 3.2 worth £28k
Putting my wife on the policy saved me £427

If I didn't have 3 points quote would have been £350 less

So...... £1200 for a 26 yr old living in Basingstoke (if I was clean!) with full NCD would have been pretty good.

3.0 lowers quote by just over £400

Get your wife insured on all your cars (BUT DON't for G0dSAKES TELL HER!) and most companies will lower the quote - if you try and add her on to an existing quote they will put it up but try when you get a new quote - works the other way round as well. 8)

NSXGB
09-01-2006, 07:31 PM
....my Doris needs to be over 30 before the insurance will "let her drive" *cough*...I'll have to wait a while or get an older Doris to get my premium down then??

Mr_Spanners
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
With reference to the 'groups' there's supposed to be 20 (20 being the highest) although the boundaries seem to have become somewhat blurred over the past few years.

Having spoken to a broker recently he was telling me that many cars are now grouped inappropriately and infact, in many cases the grouping system could not be relied on for guestimating insurance costs. The scary thing was that one of the highest risk cars was the S2000 - apparently they have a high percentage of accident damage and total loss claims.

I've recently sold my concourse ( group 18 ) Integra Type-R to help fund an NSX purchase in a few months. I was pleased to find the premium was nearly £200 less for the NSX :D Oh, that quote was for 10k miles a year and also for commuting use too (which I wont be doing so perhaps it'll be even cheaper still!!)

I guess the NSX loss\claim statistics must make it a relatively low risk for the insurers?

~Phil.

sportyking
09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
It would seem the insurance costs for an NSX are as variable as their selling prices. I thought 1080 for a 40 something in South London with the car on the drive, 3 points and 10k a year was reasonable, but now i'm not so sure. I came from a long history of high performance cars with two S2000's in the last three years and not so much as a scratch. With that in mind, my insurers with the S2000 would not cover the NSX until I had owned it for a year as it is too high a risk in the first year. Compared with driving an S2000 the NSX is so stable and user friendly it is beyond comparison and the difference in speed you travel at in the real world between the two is negligible 99% of the time.

jaytip
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I have just insured mine through Budget I went through confused.com all done on line with 8 year NCB, £272 and I am 53 living in Southampton. Group 20 I thought.

Hope this helps
you may want to make sure you were quoted the correct price.I have never seen a quote that low for an NSX :shock:
Hell i'm paying almost that much for a £600 peugeot 106 1.1

HondaHoward
10-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Take a look at insurancesupermarket.com. You just put your details in once and off it goes and gets quotes from around 15 insurers.

You will be shocked at the range though - I think I got quotes from £350 up to £1,500!

just about every variable makes a difference though - estimated mileage, voluntary excess, post code, garaged, ncb etc, etc

Norwich Union was the best for me.

Ian.M
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi Just checked and they have put it down by another £6 since I told them of the car alarm!

It must be safe living in Hampshire!!

gtm
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Can you get classic insurance for the NSX? Now it's out of production and some well over 10 years old, would have thought so