PDA

View Full Version : Recaros finally installed

m666 edd
25-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Finally installed my red leather recaro pole positions properly into the car. Took so long due to my refusal to pay the silly prices for seat rails and me complete lack of spare time:

http://www.ripper.eclipse.co.uk/nsx/25-03-12/Interior.jpg

Paid £670 for the seats (from an Audi TT) which came with TT rails, steering wheel, door cards, hand brake cover and various other TT parts. Got £100 back from selling some of the other stuff.

Made the 'fixed' seat rails myself from about £30 worth of pre folded 3mm sheet steel. Can be adjusted by loosening the allen key bolts and sliding them along the slots. They are designed so the seat runs just slightly off the carpet so I can actually sit properly in the car without slouching and can wear a helmet more comfortably.

The passenger rails weigh about 6 lbs total and the drivers side about 7-8 lbs in total. In the future I will tidy them up a bit and get them powder coated black.

The passenger seat is the most worn (was the drivers seat in the TT). But not bad for the price and the red works a lot better than I thought it would. Can probably be improved with some red leather product. The seat belt receivers are there, just on the other side of the seat due to these seats being designed for harnesses. They are easily accessible though.

So for about £600 in total I'm pretty happy!

NSXGB
25-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Well done Ed, about time!
Looks good.

Hagasan
25-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks good Ed. Might look even better with some red carpet and door panels. Doesn't look at all as garish as it sounds. Obviously NSX2000's black & red car is a good guide and check out Prime. There is a company over in the US making NSX carpets....

Just one thing though, if your drivers seat is fixed it'll fail the MOT from next month onwards. Do you intend switching the regular seat in just for MOT's?

m666 edd
25-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Well the MOT doesn't specify how the seat moves. So technically the seats can move just need to loosen the side bolts, slide it along and re-tighten. Either way I'm not worried about the MOT.

I don't really want any more red in the car. It looks fine as it is and I'm not trying to make a type r replica or anything, the seats were just cheap and I was after leather :)

NSXGB
25-03-2012, 06:55 PM
How about some wing nuts :)

Tokyo-Joe
25-03-2012, 07:14 PM
They look fantastic, just what I want..

Hagasan
25-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Hmm, I think it's down to interpretation but the suggestion seems that the adjustment should be possible without tools?

Hopefully it wont be an issue....

SeatsIt must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft

Well the MOT doesn't specify how the seat moves. So technically the seats can move just need to loosen the side bolts, slide it along and re-tighten. Either way I'm not worried about the MOT.

I don't really want any more red in the car. It looks fine as it is and I'm not trying to make a type r replica or anything, the seats were just cheap and I was after leather :)

nigel
26-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Detlef has a set of "new, still in the boxes", "Type-R", seat assemblies, advertised at NSXPrime for $20,000.00 euros, as we speak. That's near $27,000.00 u.s.

Cheers
nigel

Hagasan
26-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Lucky him!!

I can't see them jumping over the channel.....maybe over the pond where their are deeper, keener pockets?

Bonkers!!

Detlef has a set of "new, still in the boxes", "Type-R", seat assemblies, advertised at NSXPrime for $20,000.00 euros, as we speak. That's near $27,000.00 u.s.

Cheers
nigel

Hagasan
26-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Ed, just out of interest as it's not visible in your picture. Is your rear side mount hole horizontally slotted like the front?

Senninha
26-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Well done Ed, about time!
Looks good.

And you all accuse me of takin time on projects ...

Good to see them installed Ed. I wouldn't be doing the carpets myself, but I think Gary's point about the door inserts is that it would make it look more OEM ( not some R copy ) and with tougher MOT's coming, the more OEM a mod looks, the less likely they will question

Regards and enjoy them!

Paul

m666 edd
27-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Ed, just out of interest as it's not visible in your picture. Is your rear side mount hole horizontally slotted like the front?

Yes the same size slot on the rear hole. The drivers side also has longer slots for further travel than the passenger side. It's quite surprising how much further forward the drivers side is required to go (hence the heavier drivers side rails). This kind of makes sense when you read about buddy club rails and others that don't slide forward enough for a lot of drivers to reach the pedals. I guess this is due to the sub on the passenger side whereas the drivers side has the pedals far back.

Gary / Paul - I presume you mean the leather part behind the door handles? I have no idea what's involved in replacing thme or where to get the leather. Not really something I've ever been interested in but I guess it would look good.

Senninha
27-03-2012, 09:50 AM
.............Yes the same size slot on the rear hole.........is there not a risk the seat could move forward in an extreme situation?
Gary / Paul - I presume you mean the leather part behind the door handles? I have no idea what's involved in replacing thme or where to get the leather. Not really something I've ever been interested in but I guess it would look good. Yes Ed, check out Britludes recent retrim post, or Mutley post to show how the door inserts can be done

Be safe and enjoy the new seats ...

m666 edd
27-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Cheers for the info Paul.

I certainly trust my 3mm sheet steel single piece rails than some of the aluminium rails you can buy which have multiple slots in a tiny space. They look extremely fragile. I will get some better sized washers or even see if I can get hold of some allen key bolts with bigger heads for additional surface contact.

Hagasan
27-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Ed,

Paul interpreted what I was pointing towards....

3mm steel is fine, aluminium is usually 6mm min. The concern I would have is both front and back fixings being slotted in the same plane? It is possible if things loosen off for the seats to move. Normally these type of manufacturer side mounts, eg ones from Recaro, would have slots on the front and seperate bolts holes on the back. This way the seat will always have a solid "anchor" point with no lateral movement possible.

Not trying to criticise what you are doing but just thinking extra safety in the worse case of a shunt. Also, have you used 10.8 tensile bolts?

Gary

Cheers for the info Paul.

I certainly trust my 3mm sheet steel single piece rails than some of the aluminium rails you can buy which have multiple slots in a tiny space. They look extremely fragile. I will get some better sized washers or even see if I can get hold of some allen key bolts with bigger heads for additional surface contact.

NSXGB
27-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Piece of cake to do them. Remove door card and you'll see the panels are fixed in place with bendy tabs. Remove ruffled leather & re-cover in fabric of your choice.

Gary / Paul - I presume you mean the leather part behind the door handles? I have no idea what's involved in replacing thme or where to get the leather. Not really something I've ever been interested in but I guess it would look good.

Rob_Fenn
29-03-2012, 02:24 PM
A bargain set up there. Although i would say it needs some more red for them to fit in.

AR
29-03-2012, 04:22 PM
A bargain set up there. Although i would say it needs some more red for them to fit in.

Plus one, that would certainly finish it off.