PDA

View Full Version : crank pulley bolt.... in need of suggestions

britlude
27-03-2012, 05:25 PM
so, there i am, getting things all in place for a cam belt/water pump/pulley/LMA/cam plug party over Easter, i thought i'd make sure the crank pulley bolt moves before i get all geared up to go!

unfortunately it doesn't!

i've got the crank pulley holder tool fitted up, 1/2" drive extensions with an axle stand to support the fulcrum point, a 2 ft bar and it won't move, and the extensions are twisting.

took it to my local garage where they tried with their 1/2" impact wrench (with the crank pulley holding tool) alas no-go and tried again with the car on the ramp, with a 2ft bar and better purchase.... alas still no.

so basically i'm stuffed on the whole cam belt/water pump/pulley/LMA/cam plug party until this bolt moves......any suggestions from those that have done this, before i take it to a truck shop?

heeeeelllllpppppp!!!!

NSXGB
27-03-2012, 06:21 PM
4' bar and decent impact extensions!
Truck shop I think is your best bet.

For mine, I persevered with a 1/2" impact driver (rated to 325 ft/lb) and I was probably just lucky that eventually it gave up and came off.

Danny Boy
27-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Man alive, my mechanic is going through the same thing - had to contact Kaz just to check! It seems the pulley nut can be more than just a challenge to your man status - my chaps going to use a 1" petrol powered driver on it (it ate a 1/2"). He had done a 3.0 previously which came off with relative ease - not this time!!!!

Cheers, Dan.

britlude
27-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Stand down chaps, as Dad has come to the rescue!! he remembered a neighbour who works on fork-lift trucks, so armed with a borrowed 3/4" socket set and breaker bar (with a cheeky little extension) the nut has been persuaded to move! phew!!! (and in about 2 minutes!!)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx stuff/nsx cam belt change/z2012-03-27-122800x600.jpg

(note.....the axle stand under the bumper is supporting the end of the crank holding tool, not holding the car up)

i did note the engine is filthy, so i'll be cleaning it over the next week in preparation!!!

Senninha
27-03-2012, 07:28 PM
You had obviously eased it's removal before Dad arrived ;)

Be sure not to use that Simple Green cleaner on the engine ... You'll go upsetting folk again :rolleyes:

So once this is complete you will have effectively completed the rebuild and have yourself a new NSX!

Regards, Paul

Stand down chaps, as Dad has come to the rescue!! he remembered a neighbour who works on fork-lift trucks, so armed with a borrowed 3/4" socket set and breaker bar (with a cheeky little extension) the nut has been persuaded to move! phew!!! (and in about 2 minutes!!)

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/thisYup/nsx stuff/nsx cam belt change/z2012-03-27-122800x600.jpg

(note.....the axle stand under the bumper is supporting the end of the crank holding tool, not holding the car up)

i did note the engine is filthy, so i'll be cleaning it over the next week in preparation!!!

Problem Child
27-03-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd have taken it to NW....they're great! LOL

Kaz-kzukNA1
27-03-2012, 07:42 PM
For this task, forget about 1/2” sq tools especially the 1/2” impact wrench.
From time to time, I had to apply more than 1,000Nm.
Best to use at least 3/4” or even 1” sq tools.

Remember to follow the specific procedure on where to apply the grease and where to de-grease it on installation.
You may want to replace the bolt if it is too corroded.

Please look after yourself and your NSX. You don’t want to get injured or scratch the panel.
If you don’t have any protection covers, at least wrapping the panel with food cling film will provide you with minimum protection.

Interesting to see if you are replacing the LMA while keeping the engine inside the engine bay.
I know it can be done but never tried it.

Looking forward for the updates.

Kaz

britlude
27-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Interesting to see if you are replacing the LMA while keeping the engine inside the engine bay.
I know it can be done but never tried it.

Kaz

sounds like a challenge then!!! :) i had hoped to remove the engine to do all the bits i want to, but unfortunately i haven't got the appropriate space to remove the engine/access to a lift ( i have noted you use a flat scissor lift.... and i have investigated that, and it would be nice, and not too expensive but it's still having the problem of the space to do it!)

so it will be done in situ, i'll just take my time and plod way at it! hence choosing the long bank holiday weekend, and even then i'll probably start the strip down on the wednesday and use the hotrod for work on thursday!

thanks for you input Kaz, I am paying close attention to your Blog entries!!!

btw... the replacement bolt is on the bench ready to fit!

TheSebringOne
27-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry a bit off topic, is that your Avantime? Very under rated & one of the most stylish MPV!

britlude
27-03-2012, 09:03 PM
that's my dads.... between us we have a NSX, Avantime, Jensen interceptor and my ford Y hotrod. when the girlfriend is here a 2003 gen2 nissan cube is added to the mix, almost a car show of rare metal!!!

britlude
30-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Be sure not to use that Simple Green cleaner on the engine ... You'll go upsetting folk again :rolleyes:

l

engine has had 2 goings over, with the lack of a 4 post lift, i'm having to lie on my back and get wet! mostly sparkling now...

i took your advice paul, and i've used apricot facial scrub on the heavily soiled parts, and liquid baby soap every where else, leave it to soak for 30 mins,

rinsed off with lashings of simple green precision aluminium cleaner and a hose while we are still allowed to!

britlude
08-04-2012, 06:27 PM
well..... it's sunday evening, and the cam belt/water pump/main pulley/LMA/cam plug party is over.. i had an extra bonus of main hose changes and throttle body clean up, but it's all done, and it's running once more!!! hurrah!!

i'm now going to have a long lie down, and i'll write it up soon!!!!

NSXGB
08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Well done Jonathon, you can put your feet up tomorrow.
Looking forward to your write up.

Kaz-kzukNA1
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Hi, Jonathan.
Congratulations on completing your projects. Always satisfying to achieve something on your own car.

Sounds like you kept the engine inside the bay so the hardest part would be adjusting the valve clearance at the rear bank… As my back is getting tired these days and I already injured it long time ago by just watering the plants for my neighbour, I’m now leaning towards the idea of taking the engine out even just for the TB/WP service.

Looking forward to your write up especially replacing the LMA without taking the engine out as I have never done it in that way.

Once again, well done.

Kaz

AR
09-04-2012, 12:29 PM
well..... it's sunday evening, and the cam belt/water pump/main pulley/LMA/cam plug party is over.. i had an extra bonus of main hose changes and throttle body clean up, but it's all done, and it's running once more!!! hurrah!!

i'm now going to have a long lie down, and i'll write it up soon!!!!

Well done nothing like the feeling of I've done it and is right!