PDA

View Full Version : Drive Belt(s)

Jammy
06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Wanted for my 1992 NA1 Manual Honda NSX.

Mine are worn and need replacing, not least because of the unpleasant sound they make whilst the car is warming up. Whilst Chiswick Honda agree unfortunately they only have 1 available and say that stock from Honda is on back order with an expected availability date of mid June. :(

Any help would be really appreciated, PM me if you can.

Many Thanks,
James

NSXGB
07-04-2012, 03:13 AM
Your local motor factor will list \ stock them.

Kaz-kzukNA1
07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
As NSXGB mentioned, you should be able to find the alternative ones from your local shops.
Just make sure to get the correct one for the ACG belt as the belt length is different between MT and AT.

For the cross reference purpose, just show these OEM no. and the shop assistant should be able to find the suitable ones for you.

ACG belt (MT): 31110-PR7-A04
A/C belt : 38920-PR7-A04

Even if it is on back order, quite often, you will receive the parts well before the expected delivery schedule at Honda UK. They seem to provide the customer with the worst case scenario to prevent the disappointment for the delay.

.... not least because of the unpleasant sound they make whilst the car is warming up....
Hope it’s the belt making the noise and not other parts such as A/C idle pulley bearing, etc.
Even the belts are old and worn out, V-ribbed ones are quite good in holding enough friction as long as they are not too loose.
These two belts should be replaced at the time of timing belt service any way.

Kaz

matpp
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
The 2 belts I bought were part No's:

31110-PR7-A01
38920-PR7-A01

These were far cheaper than the one's above.

Is there any difference.....some are made by Honda and some are made by Bando?

Cheers,

NSXGB
07-04-2012, 09:16 PM

Cheers,

I bought pattern belts when my TB was done 5 years ago because Honda were out of stock. I've no complaints and they were about £7 for both, bargain.

Jammy
07-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Many thanks to you all for your helpful advice. My brother works for Honda Racing so I'm going to see whether he can use his connections to get me Honda ones, but otherwise I'll consider other options.

Thanks again,
James

Kaz-kzukNA1
08-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Good luck with the hunt, James.

If you really got stuck, just send me an email through this site and I can get them from Japan.

I never had any troubles getting them.

The 2 belts I bought were part No's:

31110-PR7-A01
38920-PR7-A01

These were far cheaper than the one's above.

Cheers,
Wow, A01 belts…..
I can’t even remember when was the last time I saw them.

It’s more than 20yrs ago so my memory is vague but almost immediately after the release of NSX in 1990, there was already A01 and A02 for A/C belt and many-many years ago (probably more than 10yrs ago???), Honda upgraded both belts to A04 version.

You can see the actual part number printed on the belt with the A04.

In Japan (and very likely to be the same in UK), you can no longer get hold of A01 original belts as all of them were superseded to A04 long time ago.

Just had a look on the US site and it seems that you can still get them in A01 version and yes indeed, it’s much cheaper than the A04 although the savings on the belts are not that much.
Honda doesn't manufacture these belts and it would be Bando or Mitsuboshi.

They are consumable and low risk items (unlike the oil filter) so I don’t think there would be huge difference between the A01 and A04 or even with the aftermarket ones but I’ll stick with A04.

Honda won’t upgrade the parts and parts no. without any reasons and that’s what I use on my NSX and for the owners who took my engine refresh services.

Kaz