Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Future of the Forum - Aug/24

Blog Entries

Few months ago, I looked into several options for the platform including the guidance price but I didn’t contact the vendor and thus, the cost info was not accurate enough but good starting point.

I used it when talking to Honcho at NSX Prime who went through the same software upgrade/change of platform process recently.

I’ll just cut and paste my old info of example options later.

Blog Entries

So far, followings are what I can see on here.

I’ll link them into #1 post for ease of future reference.

And update them from time to time.

Blog Entries

While there are over 50 posts so far, they are from only 17 members.
    13 x Platinum member
    4 x non-Platinum member

While there was a request from Neil to hold the reply specific to his proposal, this number is something I see it controllable.

Far easier and nothing like the time taken for listening to the opinion of 100+ engineers in the team.

Blog Entries

Regarding the name of the nsxcb Forum.

There was one recommendation to change it and not a post in this thread.
    It was from Kevin at the time of handing the key of the Forum to us.

Another vote for change was included in the post from Shawnsx5 (Neil) as part of proposal from THNOC.

If I’m not mistaken, so far, majority of voices are to keep it as is, nsxcb.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Blog Entries

I can see members wish to prevent the confusion between the nsxcb (I normally refer to this as ‘the Forum’) and THNOC (I refer to this as ‘the Club’).

And some connection between the two.

As the title states as ‘Future of the Forum’, I believe that lead to the proposal from Neil – THNOC.

This subject was not necessarily my main point of starting this thread, I’ll keep this discussion going.

Or, if I see it appropriate, I ‘may’ consider moving to another thread.

Blog Entries

For the clarification, we must decide on the future of the forum software in reasonable time.

And even after that, it doesn’t mean we must stick with the decision forever.

I think many platforms offer the trial period.

We can always review the new platform after some time and at some point, change again if the new one is not fit for purpose.

Blog Entries

[Update: 29/AUG/24 11:57]
    Apology for the multiple posts as I couldn't find better way to link specific contents into post #1.

Discussion on other subjects can go on in parallel.

For example,
    upgrade the software,
    see how many people wishing to contribute,
    add safety margin for future cost,
    divide total yearly amount by the head counts
    and propose the Platinum contribution amount per member.

Regardless of the possible on-going discussion on the subject of nsxcb and THNOC, everyone can make one’s own decision on joining each party, make Platinum contribution and/or pay for THNOC membership fee.

THNOC is required for PLI, etc but members must follow the constitution.

NSXCB is not recognised as public organisation so without PLI but can freely express one's opinion including negative view on Honda or even NSX as there is no constitution.

If THNOC regards the contents of the Forum in a good way described within this thread, more than welcome for making Platinum contribution if want to.

I'll stop here as currently, having higher priority matter back in Japan and other countries.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 29-08-2024 at 11:04 AM. Reason: [Update: ] section

Blog Entries

Example of Forum software options and cost comparison.

Please note that I have never involved in the financial side of the forum that followings are just my estimate.

Also, the price tag below are reference only as I looked at them several months ago.

Haven’t even spoken with vBulletin or other vendors about the additional software modules cost, etc.

It is just to provide some idea on what’s available out there.

For the clarification, these are just my personal understanding and no way recommending any selection at this stage.

Current: £600+ /year (price went up after Kevin’s info.)
    Virtual server with vBulletin v4
    Does not meet the level of income.
    Difficult to upload media, outdated, etc.
    Had to be re-booted many times even within the last few weeks.

vBulletin 6 Self-hosting: £110 (one off new license) + server running cost
    Latest platform, lots of control.
    Won’t save anything if we keep using the same server service as above (£600+ /year).
    Addons at extra and possibly some of the update modules as well.
    Group of people must spare their time for house-keeping (upgrade, patch, etc) of the site.
    Can export to other platform in the future.

vBulletin Cloud: starts from around £150/year
    Haven't investigated on what we can keep and what will be lost.
    Limited control and customisation but possibly enough.
    25GB bandwidth for the above starting price.
    Should be enough for small community.
    I ‘think’ 100GB storage space.
    Addons at extra.
    Hosting and upgrade done by the staff at vBulletin.
    Can export to other platform in the future.

Seek different platform: like XenForo, Discourse, etc.
    Prime went down this route.
    All sorts of price tag and hosting options.

As a side note, NSX Prime decided NOT TO self-host their website.
    Instead, they went the direction of Cloud hosting asking the staff at Xenforo to run and maintain their site.
    They are on XenForo Standard plan that is $100/month.
    This makes over £900/year.

And because they are already exceeding the traffic cap, they are likely to move up to the next tier level that would be much more expensive.
    But they can afford it at this stage.

Any changes will never make everyone happy.
    At this stage, don't know what will be kept and what will be lost.
    Hence, my statement related to the possible loss of all of my blog posts.

I think photo album feature was lost at Prime when they changed the platform.
    Will always be some complaints after the changes.

Still, best start discussion now while we have well over 12 months of time (possibly 24 months???) even without further Platinum contribution.

One option for the immediate saving would be;

Find something at the price tag of £300 – 400,

get 20 people with something like £20/year contribution,

then we can survive for quite some time based on the available funds currently in the pocket while reviewing further options in the longer term if required.

Again, just an example and not a recommendation.

Kaz
    Last edited by Kaz-kzukNA1; 29-08-2024 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added outdated price info warning

Blimey, I'd not realised the relationship with The Splitters was so acrimonious...

From what I recall of other migrations, it's a FPITA and a lot of stuff gets lost.

I'd therefore get the experts to do it, as I am conscious that it's someone's time and swearing to do it.

Perhaps start from the other end - what would members be prepared to pay per annum and how many of us could commit?

Does £25 seem acceptable? I am conscious of gov't money-printing/inflation - and our cars aren't £20K old bangers any more...

But send me a renewal reminder as I'm very easily side-tracked!
    Nick

“I find myself irresistibly attracted to cars that nobody else buys. The NSX is a classic of the genre because nobody buys it and yet it’s a fantastic car. It’s got a wonderful compactness and simplicity and unpretentiousness to it. Honda rudely continues to make them whether we like it or not, even though there can be no commercial logic in doing so — I thoroughly admire that.” Rowan Atkinson

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456