Thread: For those with a strong stomach

Default For those with a strong stomach

Ummm, starts with the NSX, wanders off a bit then returns.

https://youtu.be/d8X7iAmXro4

Me, I’ve an old Speedster Porsche that I can make into replica VW Beetle.

Is this a kind of art installation? I think it would be a good one. This is what came up for me......

I think a lot of people would look at that and think that it was an abomination. But that's because it messes with our need for certainty; We want everything to make sense and most car enthusiast like to feel competent; This is a Ferrari, this is a Porsche, Lamborghini etc. We like to know what it is, what it's worth, who we think likes it and based on these criteria, how it's going to make us feel. Whether we give ourselves permission to enjoy it.

The NSX is a funny one because it's still pretty niche for anyone 45+. Arguably, the biggest fans of NSX's are in the 20-40 bracket. Makes me wonder why Silverstone was such a big draw when all the other attendees despise the NSX?

Anyway, I digress. But it was sort of relevant. If you like the NSX, it's horrible. If you like Ferrari, you'll probably not like the NSX in which case it's a pig in a posh frock. If only from the front.
    Personally, I never liked the 360. Ironically, but perhaps not in the Morrisette style. I mean the irony was that she's singing about irony without getting irony. Perhaps that's what she meant, but I don't think so because it was sung literally. Perhaps it was beginners irony for Americans and yes before you say anything I know she's Canadian.
    Ok, but the irony being that there are all these 360 kit cars trying to look like a car that looks like a kit car. And the cost of the conversion is often more than the car you are trying to imitate. Seriously, the 360 looks like it's amphibious! And those headlights. They make an S1 Elise look premium.

I think the challenge of making something interesting, even when it utterly bastardises the donor vehicle and the eventual finished or often unfinished product, brings me onto the next point; Which is; does it actually matter? I'm an NSX purist; I don't like the oversized wheels, the canards, the CF fetishes and the ****ing red bride seats that everyone feels obligated to install into their impractically slammed NSXR tributes, or OEM+ as it is now.
    However, it is just a car, there are lots of them and they are ultimately inconsequential. So, why not throw a load of money at a project? It only has to make sense to you and the lunatic who buys it. although at that price, it might be a keeper.

I've tried pretty hard with this one. But if there's anyone I haven't insulted, please comment below and I'll try to splice it in somewhere.

Cheers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!

well, if someone really really likes a 360, but doesn't want to change cam belts every 27 miles, and doesn't want the 'will it start' lottery......
    aka Jonathan!!

'92 charlotte green auto.... as a daily
    '37 Ford Y street rod......... something for the weekend!

...... if a photobucket pic is foggy, click it, and it'll take you to the clear version, yes, it's a clicking faff....

Saviour or Heretic, or the Truth
    . . . “However, it is just a car, there are lots of them and they are ultimately inconsequential” . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Saviour or Heretic, or the Truth
    . . . “However, it is just a car, there are lots of them and they are ultimately inconsequential” . . . .

I think the truth. Materialism is ridiculous, but we cling to it like limpets to a rock in a storm. On a different note, has anyone seen the NSX compatible Tarox brakes? Now available in candy red!
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!